Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=250)
-   -   Tric and Plas change. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=237566)

Archived Post 10-20-2011 07:09 PM

Tric and Plas change.

I hope you seriously reconsider what you have done to Tricobalt and Plasma weaponry, an already borderlined worthless weapon system has become even more so with the friendly fire splash damage mechanic.

Tric and Plasma, for those of you unfamiliar with how they are best used, due to the truly massive amount of area of effect attacks, (Fire At Will, Torp Spread, CSV, Gravity Wells, Warp Plasma, Tractor Repulsor, Photonic Shockwave, and whatever other stupid ones I am missing) in this game you have to deliver them quite often well within 1-3km of the target, and even that is not a reliable delivery. This puts you the launcher in the Death Zone of your own weapon.

No other weapon or ability in this game aside from Mines (which are stupid and should just be removed from the game given how Worthless they are, and that was before you put friendly fire on them too) suffers from this 'great mechanic!'' you have come up with.

Due to the extreme ease of which Plas and Tricobalt weapons are destroyed anyone that's serious about pvp, long ago put them away with the exception of Two Players, and mounted photons or quantums in their stead. This change is only going to make the useful ness of the weapon Drop even farther, as anything but a Punishing tool.

And in that regard it's a wild success. No longer do I have to suffer with not being able to punish Horrible Fed Pug Cruisers that refuse to heal. Now I can hit them with a Torp at long last and pop myself, my target and them!

The only positive change to the heavies, and is one that should have been present from the start due to their inanely slow travel speeds, is the ability to change targets once the enemy leaves the 10km combat zone and seek a new target. Due to the rather underwhelming nature of these torps before you guys gimped them this was necessary.

Plasma and Tric torpedoes have -always- had seriously random damage values, this was another detriment to the weapons. When a weapon says "15k+" in the damage values it should reflect this. Sure a plas torp hypothetically could roll and hit someone for 86k, but by that same token it could roll low and hit for like 3k. Factor in their ease of being destroyed, and it just makes quantums/photons all the more appealing due to their sheer consistency.

I long long ago put the plasma torps to retirement (like a year +), and went quantum. Almost immediately I went straight up to the top of damage charts and kill counts, due to the consistency of being able to hit a target with torps and have them actually deal consistent damage. STO simply has too many AOEs that don't have to target the torps to pop them. I tried the Plas torps out in pvp on tribble, as did Minimax, and a host of others, and we've all come to the conclusion that overall the Heavies are even more of a liability now than they were before.

Where as before, it was just a 90 percent chance of dealing little to no damage, now there is an active chance you will frag yourself, the target will live (as damage is calculated seperately for each target), but also frag a team mate in the process.

Archived Post 10-21-2011 06:26 AM

Yes, the change seems to make using the Tri-Cobalts or Plasmas even less attractive.

And just to clarify. That doesn't mean that HYT torpedos stunning enemies for 10+ seconds is okay either. It absolutely is not. Try to smooth the power curves a little, not adding more extremes. A Weapon that is totally ineffective or harmful 90 % of the time and totally devastating 10 % of the time is not balanced.

Do you remember when you guys changed Beam Fire At Will so it was "always useful" and increased your DPS against your target, regardless of how many other targets? The friendly fire effect is a giant step back? Are you tellingus that all the angst and frustration that the BFAW change caused with that change was all for naught?

And that's not even considering the entire griefing potential of the changes.

Archived Post 10-21-2011 06:31 AM

Heh, we couldn't even see a 10 second stun in our tests. And that was with us blasting each other at point blank ranges.

The rift only lasts a couple of seconds, so you don't even get to say that there's a boon for the friendly fire. The stun is almost non existent. (all we saw most of the time was just a pretty 2 second graphic and then it was gone.... and then you had to -fly into - the rift to get even a 2 second stun) For even more hilarity (yeah I know it's hard to imagine this getting even dumber isn't it) the tric rift will actually kill the other trics from the HY salvo. So in effect in 90 percent of circumstances, should your trics not be blown to smitherines by the ungodly number of AOEs, and Pets rife within STO, they will actually take each other out. Meaning you are effectively only getting one tric strike.

To say nothing of Plas torps which don't even have a signficant secondary perk. Plasma fire dot... ooooo an extra few hundred points of damage over five seconds. Yeah that's really going to hurt alright... :rolleyes:

But hey I finally get to Grief the typical fed pug player that refuses to use his 50 heals that are in his cruiser on anyone that isn't him. So that's surely an upside right? :rolleyes:

Archived Post 10-21-2011 08:47 AM

I was going to use trics for the first time when I start my next toon, but if this ever goes live, I will immediately switch back to quantums. These changes make it completely suicidal to use trics or plasmas. And the last thing we need is more rifts in space (well, actually even more scrambles is the last thing we need, but this is close).

Archived Post 10-21-2011 10:16 AM

They have hit the Tricobalts with a gigantic nerf bat. Spec doesn't matter for it, consoles are useless for them.

They have put such a low cap of them (unless you get the luckiest CriH ever) My Sci had to abilities to hit for 50-90K on holodeck with the Tric. The same toon transferred over the F2P has not hit for over 27k. I have tested it for over 2 hours with at least 120 tricobalts. About 90 of them hit in for 23 K

Archived Post 10-21-2011 02:14 PM

I am against the nerf of the Single tricobalt.

Also I think HYT should just keep the tricobalt single shot but just buff the damage of it. Its only fair trade off for using a Bridge officer slot for it.

DONT TOUCH THE TRICOBALTS.

Archived Post 10-21-2011 02:27 PM

I know changes have to be made with the transition to F2P...

but why the hell fix something that isn't broken.

Oh, wait. I said that wrong.

Why the hell break something that isn't so broken.

Yeah, much better.

Archived Post 10-21-2011 04:05 PM

To be honest, I am not even clear why this dynamic was changed? What was soooooo wrong with it in the first place to merit this change? Who spoke about the need for this?

This just seems like another unneeded nerf a la the Mk IV Efficient engines the the Excelsior TW Nerf.

With these proposed changes, I clearly don't see any upside to an already underwhelming torpedo! I Like the Plasmas as they give me 3 ways to deploy - Green Ball of Death (High Yield), Spread and Single Shot. But to use High Yield effectively it forces you to get in close at nearly point-blank range - a dangerous situation already...why would you make it even less attractive to use these now? What are you trying to achieve? Because if you're trying to kill them off, then BRAVO!!!!

Archived Post 10-21-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavairo
Due to the extreme ease of which Plas and Tricobalt weapons are destroyed anyone that's serious about pvp, long ago put them away with the exception of Two Players, and mounted photons or quantums in their stead. This change is only going to make the useful ness of the weapon Drop even farther, as anything but a Punishing tool.

I'm one of the 2 players,

Rocking Plasma since Day one :D

Archived Post 10-21-2011 04:11 PM

You guys remember the warp core explosion nerf? Not the recent one that limited targets but the original nerf that lowered the Area of effect and damage? Yeah so whats with this change. I just don't get it.......