Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Tribble - Bug Reports (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=229)
-   -   CRASH: User Account Control prompt causes Graphics Lockup in CO/STO. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=238613)

Archived Post 10-27-2011 12:48 PM

CRASH: User Account Control prompt causes Graphics Lockup in CO/STO.

CRASH: User Account Control prompt causes Graphics Lockup in CO/STO.

Reproduction Steps:
  1. Be playing CO/STO in a Windowed Fullscreen mode.
  2. Open a program that will prompt you to update it, thereby triggering a UAC prompt asking for permission before proceeding. Firefox Aurora/Nightly is an example of one such program that often asks for this. Trillian has also been used to reproduce this issue.
  3. Authorize the update then return to the game.
  4. Graphics will remain frozen rendering the game client unusable however the audio will still play.
Frequency: All the time.

Details: If you receive a UAC prompt while playing CO/STO, your graphics will lock up indefinitely, forcing you to quit the game client via right-clicking the game icon on the taskbar and closing it. This does not generate a crash report or prompt the game to ask for permission to re-check files because the game believes everything was okay and that you just clicked the close box to exit out of the game rapidly.

Relevant hardware/OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit, ATI Radeon 6970, ATI Catalyst 11.9.

Archived Post 10-27-2011 01:25 PM

How to fix this:

Step 1: Open Windows Control Panel Security Center
Step 2: Turn Off User Account Control and restart computer.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit from the realization that UAC is an annoyance in the guise of a security feature for people who totally don't know what they're doing on Computers and shouldn't be using one.

Now I'm not saying that you don't know what you're doing, but the UAC really is an annoyance and if you're smart with where you go on the internet, you will have no need to use UAC, since if a virus/hacker REALLY wants to mess with your computer, UAC will not stop it anyways.

Archived Post 10-27-2011 01:28 PM

Yeah, UAC is to Windows 7 what that annoying paperclip was to MS Word.

Turn it off and life will be much better.

Archived Post 10-27-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceman67 (Post 3833487)
Now I'm not saying that you don't know what you're doing, but the UAC really is an annoyance and if you're smart with where you go on the internet, you will have no need to use UAC, since if a virus/hacker REALLY wants to mess with your computer, UAC will not stop it anyways.

Yes, I am aware you can turn off UAC.

Does this magically remove the crash that happens when UAC is enabled?

No.

Does this magically change the fact that Windows Vista and Windows 7 PCs ship with UAC enabled and, unless I missed a Windows 8 dev blog post, UAC will ship enabled for that operating system as well?

No.

This game crashes when the UAC prompt comes up. That is a bug. It has been reported.