Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Wake up, Cryptic. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=238847)

Archived Post 10-28-2011 07:58 PM

Wake up, Cryptic.

I have stuck with this game for nearly two years. Even with this F2P stuff going on, and the near-complete lack of listening Cryptic is doing, I had planned to wait and see.

But, with all the things this game needs so desperately, you take the existing Gekli model, stick it onto the coding for the in-game pets, and put it up for sale? Get a grip. We don't want any more of your stupid pets, costumes, and other useless junk. We want CONTENT. We've already paid for it; we're waiting for YOU to DELIVER.

Furthermore, with the lack of dev blogs, we have been told that the devs are too busy to blog. Oh, really? Too busy to keep us informed, but not too busy to put more useless crap on the C-store, I see. Not that this is anything new around here, mind you.

Thanks for letting me know where your priorities are, Cryptic. I feel like an idiot for wasting nearly two years of my life playing STO, and I have been a Star Trek fan for the past 20 years. Do yourselves a favor and give your customers a reason to log back on.

Archived Post 10-28-2011 08:01 PM

Hear hear! Bloody C-Store garbage...

And while we're at it - I like to do MISSIONS when I'm playing games. I like to get involved in EPISODES when I'm watching TV. The two are completely separate media. Respect that fact and you might actually get somewhere. "Episode" implies sit-back-and-watch. "Mission" implies getting interactive.

Archived Post 10-28-2011 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maschinengeist (Post 3835938)
I have stuck with this game for nearly two years. Even with this F2P stuff going on, and the near-complete lack of listening Cryptic is doing, I had planned to wait and see.

But, with all the things this game needs so desperately, you take the existing Gekli model, stick it onto the coding for the in-game pets, and put it up for sale? Get a grip. We don't want any more of your stupid pets, costumes, and other useless junk. We want CONTENT. We've already paid for it; we're waiting for YOU to DELIVER.

Furthermore, with the lack of dev blogs, we have been told that the devs are too busy to blog. Oh, really? Too busy to keep us informed, but not too busy to put more useless crap on the C-store, I see. Not that this is anything new around here, mind you.

Thanks for letting me know where your priorities are, Cryptic. I feel like an idiot for wasting nearly two years of my life playing STO, and I have been a Star Trek fan for the past 20 years. Do yourselves a favor and give your customers a reason to log back on.

Well said. You're not the only one feeling this way.

Archived Post 10-28-2011 08:05 PM

All I have to say is...

+1

Archived Post 10-28-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maschinengeist (Post 3835938)

If you dont want the Gekli then dont buy it; I didnt. As far as new content goes, unfortunately that isnt coming until after F2P. That is what has happened to pretty much every game that has gone F2P so far in the months leading up to the F2P launch, as the development team was focused on the transition. Whether that is right or wrong, it isnt something thats going to change at this point.

Archived Post 10-28-2011 08:15 PM

First of all I am HAPPY there is a Gekli in the store, have been wanting one for a long time. And as Nagus said, you don't want it, don't buy it.

As for the rest of your post, I agree!!

Archived Post 10-28-2011 08:39 PM

Yes, good for you. You are a minority that want a Gekli. They were a minor part of the Star Trek franchise, just as the Horta were, in the grand scheme of Star Trek.

We have been wanting Romulans since STO launched. We get Fed Klingons. The Klingon empire is AT WAR with the federation, and while there would be the occasional Klingon who MIGHT defect, not enough to warrant a race choice. The story that cryptic wrote THEMSELVES would allow them to provide Romulans as a choice for either KDF or Feds.

We have wanted Birds of Prey. We get the Constitution refit and the NX model. Note that it is 40 years after voyager. The constitution was retired long before voyager. They stopped MAKING constitution class ships before Next Gen. Likewise for the NX 01 model.

We wanted Typhoon class, we get D'Kyr.
We wanted real content for the Klingon side, we get level promotions and some c-store ships.
We wanted more content overall, we get feature episodes.
We wanted more end game content, we get a promise (Cryptic, do you know what PROMISE means?) of 1 FE every week. Period.
We wanted a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER ONLINE ROLE-PLAYING GAME set in the Star Trek universe, we get World of Star Trek that suffers from a Spore complex.

What is my point? Cryptic does not care what we want. And Cryptic chose Star Trek as an IP because they did not have the talent to fix their current game, Champions, to compete with the existing superhero mmos.

Want proof? Look at Champions vs City of Heros. Champions vs the new DC game. Champions vs all the indy superhero mmos. Then compare the quality of writing in STO with, well, anything. It sounds and feels like it was written by the same people that write picture books for 5 year olds.

Archived Post 10-28-2011 08:44 PM

I had a beta invite for STO a couple years back and chose to pass on it since RL was hectic at the time.

I decided to take a look recently, and I've been playing on a 10-day Trial to check out the game. I've been enjoying it, and was considering a sub, but the divisiveness of opinion on the forums, in addition to the economic model switch to a f2p (read p2w) format, is really turning me off.

Think I'll wait and see before I decide.

Archived Post 10-28-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus (Post 3835947)
If you dont want the Gekli then dont buy it; I didnt. As far as new content goes, unfortunately that isnt coming until after F2P. That is what has happened to pretty much every game that has gone F2P so far in the months leading up to the F2P launch, as the development team was focused on the transition. Whether that is right or wrong, it isnt something thats going to change at this point.

I disagree. City of Heros recently went F2P and frankly, as a subscriber, it was almost seamless. There were pretty steady content releases up until perhaps a month or so before, which is saying something when the game releases a new content pack every 3-4 months. (Maybe that had something to do with it? I guess the transition was helped by CoH being a very mature game, with hundreds if not thousands of hours of content.)

Well, okay, it wasn't seamless. It was a frickin' thing of beauty. Alongside the F2P launch was a graphical re-do of the main starter area as well as a completely revamped tutorial and 1-10 (and to a lesser extent, 10-15) player experience. Heck, some people felt that VIPs got too many bennies....

Now, it has issues. Even as a VIP -- their term for a Gold/subscriber -- there are a two new powersets you have to purchase if you want them. Also, their new rewards system is separate from vets' rewards and is based on how much money you give them -- not exactly stellar.

Want to hear the kicker? It's owned and operated by NCSoft, which is the American subsidary of a SE Asian game company which is most well-known for the massive raidfest known as Lineage. For extra irony, make note of who had originally developed CoH.

So to drag this kicking and screaming back to the topic, an F2P transition can be an awesome thing, and reward subscription players as well as make for an enjoyable F2P experience. And it can still happen here. Obviously the 'deliver content until transition' thing is a lost cause and has been shot down by Cryptic directly anyway, but there is still time for Cryptic to step back and take stock and think about where they're going with this and what they want to do, and fix things, and make it awesome.

Yeah, I know, a tall order... but if I'm going to say 'I'll believe it when I see it,' I have to acknowledge that Cryptic could pull this out of the fire and do something great with it.

Archived Post 10-28-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_collective (Post 3835977)
Yes, good for you. You are a minority that want a Gekli. They were a minor part of the Star Trek franchise, just as the Horta were, in the grand scheme of Star Trek.

Umm I also believe I said I agree with the rest of his post, you forgot that part... Also Re: The rest of your post, you don't have to play the game...