Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=250)
-   -   Has Cryptic Killed Crafting? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=238969)

Archived Post 10-30-2011 12:39 AM

Has Cryptic Killed Crafting?

I have five active characters on Holodeck. One of them does the crafting for the rest. He sits at Memory Alpha and waits. The rest of my characters dump the supplies in my one man fleet bank and I log in to craft as needed. To be honest it's been so long since I used him I wasn't sure how much effect these new changes to crafting would have on me.

So I decided to log in to Tribble and go to Memory Alpha to ask some other crafters how bad it really is since forum rage is not always the best barometer. This is what I found.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/ghosttown.jpg/

Maybe the next C-Store pet should be a tumble weed to fit in with the atmosphere at Memory Alpha now.

Archived Post 10-30-2011 02:35 AM

Yup crafting is dead. Dilithium charge to craft even marked items. Complete and total annihilation of crafting pretty much.

Archived Post 10-30-2011 02:59 AM

Yes they have.

Archived Post 10-30-2011 03:55 AM

Yes, they have killed the broken system that was crafting on Holodeck.

I never could understand how a game would allow players to craft amazing gear out of hardly anything, this never made any sense to me. Yet of course we all loved that we could create everything we wanted, not just for our mains, but our alts, our opposing faction alts, even friends and fleet members. It was a broken system that affected the economy as a whole, resulting in items that should have held some form of value to being as expensive as vendor trash.

I like the idea of adding Dilithium to high end gear. It represents what players would have had to do if Emblems had been the only way to acquire such items. The Tribble system does need tweaking though.

Whites - Anomalies
Greens - Anomalies, Trace Particles
Blues - Anomalies, Trace Particles, Dilithium
Purples - Anomalies, Trace Particles, greater amount of Dilithium compared to Blues

The way it is on Tribble currently is not this mountain/molehill grind people say it is. A few dailys/exploration missions and you can be crafting. I just think we need to move away from the mentality of the old system, because it was simply too easy to acquire, and that gear wasn't represented in value or worth, resulting in a very poor economy indeed.

Archived Post 10-30-2011 05:07 AM

[quote=Green117;3837482I never could understand how a game would allow players to craft amazing gear out of hardly anything, this never made any sense to me.[/QUOTE]

Spend time gathering materials = Amazing gear
Spend time doing dailies = Amazing gear

Instead now it's:

Spend time doing dailies = Amazing gear
Spend time gathering materials AND doing dailies = Amazing gear

Um...

Quote:

I just think we need to move away from the mentality of the old system
Old system: Games are supposed to be fun
New system: Games are supposed to be work

Archived Post 10-30-2011 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
Old system: Games are supposed to be fun
New system: Games are supposed to be work

If you honestly believe that this new system is in any way shape or form work...well, i am quite amazed ;p

Archived Post 10-30-2011 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green117 (Post 3837482)
Yes, they have killed the broken system that was crafting on Holodeck.

I never could understand how a game would allow players to craft amazing gear out of hardly anything, this never made any sense to me. Yet of course we all loved that we could create everything we wanted, not just for our mains, but our alts, our opposing faction alts, even friends and fleet members. It was a broken system that affected the economy as a whole, resulting in items that should have held some form of value to being as expensive as vendor trash.

I like the idea of adding Dilithium to high end gear. It represents what players would have had to do if Emblems had been the only way to acquire such items. The Tribble system does need tweaking though.

Whites - Anomalies
Greens - Anomalies, Trace Particles
Blues - Anomalies, Trace Particles, Dilithium
Purples - Anomalies, Trace Particles, greater amount of Dilithium compared to Blues

The way it is on Tribble currently is not this mountain/molehill grind people say it is. A few dailys/exploration missions and you can be crafting. I just think we need to move away from the mentality of the old system, because it was simply too easy to acquire, and that gear wasn't represented in value or worth, resulting in a very poor economy indeed.

It is very much a mountain of grinding, I'm not sure if you have spent any time in the clusters on Tribble lately but to say the least the high end rare particles that are used the most in the end game gear like Anyon's and Methogenic's do not drop as often as the do on holodeck, what would take me two or three hours on holdeck per part takes a lot longer on Tribble. And let's not forget the ever present 8k daily cap on dilithium vs the 15K + dilithium per item... You make it sound like you could do it all in one day when that's not even close to the truth.

So yes I believe crafting is very much dead considering you can get the exact same parts with + vs Borg stats in about an hour or two in the STF's with out spending any time on gathering resources, competing with other players for scan nodes (which I think will be utter chaos a few weeks in to F2P release.) and no time grinding dilithium.

As far as the Tribble economy goes, it is as I predicted it would be. People have gone crazy and are already gouging prices on crafted end game items, for instance (Antiproton DHC) 20mil EC... now who in there right mind is going to pay that much in game currency vs doing a few STF runs on normal? I sure the heck wont...

Archived Post 10-30-2011 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green117 (Post 3837550)
If you honestly believe that this new system is in any way shape or form work...well, i am quite amazed ;p

You are right. My work doesn't include repetitive tasks I have to do every day to get my paycheck. I'm quite amazed too.

Archived Post 10-30-2011 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raklau (Post 3837559)
You make it sound like you could do it all in one day when that's not even close to the truth.

Good, because i don't want a system in place where i can do it all in one day. Where is the fun and journey in that? Where is the value in a reward when it feels like clicking your fingers and getting it.

The system on Tribble works well as a business model for new players. Isn't that the point in what they are going for - the grind so people will spend money. Yet those playing now, and over a period of time have bank fulls of things. I know i do, and i haven't even played for a full year yet (nearly though). This system is fine for me and so many others, even the ones that don't even realise it yet, or just choose the doom and gloom option.

And it really isn't work. The main difference is instead of kitting yourself out over a day, it may take a few weeks or months. And why shouldn't it. Maybe because i use to play Wow and spent time earning my gear, crafting this and that, pvp sets etc, i assume that things should take time to acquire. It seems so much of the complaints is because people are loosing the ability to out gear themselves completely in the shortest time possible.

Archived Post 10-30-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green117 (Post 3837600)
Good, because i don't want a system in place where i can do it all in one day. Where is the fun and journey in that? Where is the value in a reward when it feels like clicking your fingers and getting it.

I'm glad you have that kind of time looking at the pic posted it appears MOST of us DON'T.