Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Auto-Refining: cool...but why? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=239536)

Archived Post 11-03-2011 07:54 PM

Auto-Refining: cool...but why?
 
Maybe I'm just slow, but how does the whole auto-refining thing actually help anyone? If you dont log in to do the dailies to earn the ORE in the first place, then what is going to auto-refined? I mean, if I do my dailies today and earn 8k ore, and then refine it, and then dont log in for a week, what is the purpose of auto-refining? How am I ever going to earn so much EXTRA ore that I cant refine it all in one day?

Archived Post 11-03-2011 07:59 PM

they are operating under the assumption you'll be able to obtain way more ore then you can refine in a day. which may be the case, but we won't know that for a while yet. and that would work out well for a number of people. I don't play every day, but if i COULD get enough to hold me over for days at a time in a single days playing time i'd prefer that. I don't like being forced to play every day which is what looks like they are aiming for. I want to play on my own terms without being held back by silly artificial means like their gated time currency.

Archived Post 11-03-2011 08:02 PM

It is really a measure to help those who can't log in every day due to X. At least with most games, if you don't log in for dailies you don't get the reward at all, but since this effects more than just dilithium from dailies but from all dilithium rewarding activities (not tied to daily lockouts), it really puts those people who can not log in everyday at a significant disadvantage in terms of refining.

So its not an issue with earning dilithium from dailies only, but being additionally penalised just because you can't get off work to refine 8k of your dilithium ore mountain (you made over a weekend of free time perhaps), each day.

At least, that is my understanding of it.

There are many things Cryptic could do do help them besides adding an auto-refining feature for Subscription accounts or removing the cap. An example of which would be to change the cap to a weekly cap instead of a daily cap. This might go against Cryptic plans of having a reason for getting people to log in every day in - but I would argue that it is better for there to be reasons people want to log in (to play) rather than being forced to log in in order to meet this daily refine cap or put themselves at a disadvantage.


Archived Post 11-03-2011 08:09 PM

I'll be one that gets slowed down because i won't log in every day for something as retarded as refining my daily allotment of ore. I would log in if i had something fun to do, but i don't know when that will be :(

Archived Post 11-03-2011 08:13 PM

It is pretty easy to get a backlog of dilithium ore built up if you are doing STFs for a gear set and doing the dailies. It'll be nice not to be penalized by missing converting on days when I am too busy to log in. It doesn't do anything for the guys who maybe only deal with 480 dilithium a day, but saves thm a button click I suppose.

Archived Post 11-03-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nynik
It is really a measure to help those who can't log in every day due to X. At least with most games, if you don't log in for dailies you don't get the reward at all, but since this effects more than just dilithium from dailies but from all dilithium rewarding activities (not tied to daily lockouts), it really puts those people who can not log in everyday at a significant disadvantage in terms of refining.

So its not an issue with earning dilithium from dailies only, but being additionally penalised just because you can't get off work to refine 8k of your dilithium ore mountain (you made over a weekend of free time perhaps), each day.

What non daily dillithium rewarding activities are there? How is somsone going to earn a pile of excess ore that they cant refine in one day? The only non daily I can think if is the Doff missions, but they award a very small amount and only the few missions you had going when you left would actually finish while you werent there for a few days. At most that would earn you a couple hundred dillithium.

Archived Post 11-03-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
What non daily dillithium rewarding activities are there? How is somsone going to earn a pile of excess ore that they cant refine in one day? The only non daily I can think if is the Doff missions, but they award a very small amount and only the few missions you had going when you left would actually finish while you werent there for a few days. At most that would earn you a couple hundred dillithium.

every STF run awards 480 dilithium. The academy lore thing awards 480. You can get over 8k pretty quick between Doff, daily, and several STF runs.

Archived Post 11-03-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
What non daily dillithium rewarding activities are there?

I was thinking STFs and Events for example.


Archived Post 11-03-2011 08:42 PM

so, is auto-refining a confirmed feature? or is this thread just specualting on a hypothesis?

Archived Post 11-03-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artic1337
so, is auto-refining a confirmed feature? or is this thread just specualting on a hypothesis?

confirmed by Capt Gecko in his "Some Important News you might want to know" thread.

Here....


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:54 AM.