Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=250)
-   -   New Space Skill System - skill points (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=239646)

Archived Post 11-04-2011 01:59 PM

New Space Skill System - skill points
 
With the old system, while admittedly it was confusing as all heck, the skills were more specific in their scope. So it was much easier to spend your skills points, and specialize in what you wanted to do well, while ignoring the skills that didn't effect you at all.

However, with the new skill system, while admittedly their are less skills all told, they have much broader scopes, meaning that its harder to specialize in only certain skills that only effect your ship, meaning your skill points actually go just as far as before. However with the increase in skill points cost, its harder to get the skills you want.

This is coupled by the effect when there are skills you don't want, at lower levels, say batteries, but skills you do want at higher levels, say Auxiliary Power. By still being gated into skills that matter to me, by being forced to take skills I don't or won't use at all, my remaining skill points go even less far.

My suggestion is that under the new skill system, while I agree that lower level skills should require higher costs (say 200% more for tier 1) higher tiers have a progressively less increased cost (so tier 2 costs say 175%, tier 3 150%, tier 4 125 %).. Also fold all tier 5 skills into tier 4 so that all the ship systems are under the same tier.

Archived Post 11-04-2011 02:04 PM

I just HATE the new system, it's even more confusing than it was before.

And I really HATE all the important survival skills are at Tier 5, thus making it harder for Cruisers to survive. :mad:
  • Right now my Vor'cha Refit turns worse than a Galaxy, and the weapon systems are just junk.
  • My Healing Potential has dropped 20% at the same time.
  • Fully skilled into Tactical, my Beams are now 100 points less and my cannons 300 points less powerful.



I am giving the V2 of the Skill System a massive thumbs down! To be honest, I'm so angry, I'm just not going to test anymore until the skill system is re-revamped.

Archived Post 11-04-2011 02:25 PM

Yeah, so far, not too impressed... I used to be able to spec into exactly what I wanted, now, there's not enough skill points to even get what I had before. My weapon power used to be maxed out in my escort... now, it's no where near max.

Not happy.

EDIT:

And my Prometheus turns like a freaking tug-boat.... VERY NOT HAPPY

Archived Post 11-04-2011 02:30 PM

Azurian brings up a good point.

If I wanted to make a heavy DPS character with zero survivability, its incredibly easy. Add in any survivability and it becomes even worse.

Science Officers probably have it the next worse, since not only do they need access to many of their top tier science skills, but also access to the Auxiliary power level in engineering.

Tank Engineers have it even worse. All the hull tanking abilities are VERY high up in the tree, and the shield tanking abilities aren't very low level either. Add in that cruiser turn rates are horrible and would highly benefit from any skill that would improve that, and it goes even higher. Add in that there are no agro skills, you can only get it from doing high enough damage to the enemy, it gets even worse.

Archived Post 11-04-2011 02:33 PM

I'm not impressed.

You can't spec yourself as effectively. In essence this is a global nerf.

Additionally, and this is what upsets me the most, this is the prime opportunity for Cryptic to finally fix the skill tree, this game was never meant to have a skill cap, and here we're getting a new skill tree, its the prime time for them to make the tree work with the cap, and they're not doing that. They're exacerbating the issue.

In all honesty the current holodeck tree is much better... in fact all I'd say is change just the SHIP AND SHIP WEAPONS skills only and leave everything the same, keep everything costing 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, and then things might actually work.

as it is now, this is just a nerf, a bad one, i've honestly never heard so many members of my fleet pondering leaving for for a bad decision like this, and cryptic, you've made a lot of bad decisions.

Archived Post 11-04-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuffs (Post 3846921)
Azurian brings up a good point.

If I wanted to make a heavy DPS character with zero survivability, its incredibly easy. Add in any survivability and it becomes even worse.

Science Officers probably have it the next worse, since not only do they need access to many of their top tier science skills, but also access to the Auxiliary power level in engineering.

Tank Engineers have it even worse. All the hull tanking abilities are VERY high up in the tree, and the shield tanking abilities aren't very low level either. Add in that cruiser turn rates are horrible and would highly benefit from any skill that would improve that, and it goes even higher. Add in that there are no agro skills, you can only get it from doing high enough damage to the enemy, it gets even worse.

This... it really is a global nerf... and does NOTHING to help people switch from Escort to Cruiser to Science Vessels... in fact, it makes it even more troublesome to do so, since now, for an Escort to work, you are spending all your points on DPS... but for Cruisers to work, you need survivability, which you can't get if your main is Escorts, and Science needs energy, which they can't get if they want to live or do any damage....

Seriously. This is horrible.

Archived Post 11-04-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffknight (Post 3846936)
This... it really is a global nerf... and does NOTHING to help people switch from Escort to Cruiser to Science Vessels... in fact, it makes it even more troublesome to do so, since now, for an Escort to work, you are spending all your points on DPS... but for Cruisers to work, you need survivability, which you can't get if your main is Escorts, and Science needs energy, which they can't get if they want to live or do any damage....

Seriously. This is horrible.

More than a Global Nerf, its a major kick in the pants to every STO player there is!


As I mentioned above, my KDF Eng captaining a Vor'cha Refit, it's now turns worse than a Galaxy and all my Heals are 20% less than they were. Making my heal build - useless!

And now i just speced on my Federation Tactical / Sovereign, and she too turns like a Galaxy. Furthermore, prior to the patch my Tactical was well ground speced, now there is no skills available for ground! That reduced my Ground fighting capacity severely as a Tactical!


This honestly is the WORST UPDATE EVER! :mad:

Archived Post 11-04-2011 02:48 PM

I'm finding the whole new system horrible.

No matter what I seem to do with my points, I keep being left with 100. I'm sat here almost banging my head against the desk trying to figure out where I can tweak my build to get the points spent but no matter what I do, I'm still faced with points left over.

Also, why does it appear I have to spend 6750/6700 points in the Tier 1 skills to unlock Tier 2?

Archived Post 11-04-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azurian (Post 3846957)
More than a Global Nerf, its a major kick in the pants to every STO player there is!


As I mentioned above, my KDF Eng captaining a Vor'cha Refit, it's now turns worse than a Galaxy and all my Heals are 20% less than they were. Making my heal build - useless!

And now i just speced on my Federation Tactical / Sovereign, and she too turns like a Galaxy. Furthermore, prior to the patch my Tactical was well ground speced, now there is no skills available for ground! That reduced my Ground fighting capacity severely as a Tactical!


This honestly is the WORST UPDATE EVER! :mad:

Agreed. I used to have a decent amount in ground, as well as all I needed in Tactical and Eng/Sci to do dps and survive an attack for more than 5 seconds (still, even then I was instakilled). Now... as I said in the other post, space combat will end up being worse than ground combat 1.0 was... space pvp will die altogether... and our previous work on making sure all the other content and STFs were balanced just got thrown down the toilet.

Archived Post 11-04-2011 03:12 PM

I really hate it too, this is like a general nerf!
For my scie toon this is hell!
Please, reduce the skill points cost!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:02 PM.