Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Can you honestly recommend STO? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=240371)

Archived Post 11-09-2011 08:20 AM

Can you honestly recommend STO?

Can you?

I can not. Why?
  1. We've gone 8 months without content, 10 months when F2P finally hits. Unacceptable.
  2. Everyone for Holodeck has been shelved in favor of F2P. Basically "lol Subscribers, thanks for paying to beta test for us!"
  3. Shoddy business practices. Cryptic has consistently misled us and baited us to say on a subscribers. "Don't worry, we'll have a steady flow of content post Season 4!" loljk. Sure, cite the PW sale all you want, but that's not an acceptable excuse.
  4. Straight up LIES when it comes to PvP. We've been told we're getting stuff "soon" for these past 2 years. Heck, basic PvP features were "in testing for deployment soon" back in July... of 2010. Have we seen anything of those? NOPE! (Chuck Testa)
  5. Misleading articles on other sites (IGN) based on "news" from the D'Angelo. Leveling in 1 day? Nothing in the C-Store that changes balance? No Pay-2-Win? Wrong.
  6. Not so stellar balance choices.
  7. Bugs that have been in the game FOREVER. Example: 3 Aceton Field's stacked on you will, in fact, make your weapons HEAL your target.
  8. Well known exploits being in the game for months, despite having numerous tickets submitted and forum threads. And anytime someone wants to talk about it, it ends up with infractions/bans.
  9. Since March, we've paid for... what? Pay to win ships, utter fluff like Geklis, and the introduction of new bugs? Oh right, I forgot, sorry. An elaborate Beta test.
  10. Deadlines are missed pretty much every time. Anytime they put out a date, 2-4 weeks to it. If not more. If it's a PvP related, just ignore it entirely. It won't come true anyways.

Archived Post 11-09-2011 08:24 AM

I can

For a new player the game has a plethora of different types of missions to enjoy content. In fact, one of my friends just recently subscribed and is loving the game.

For the record, his time frame may have been off, but it is very possible to get max level AND maxed gear within a week. I know, because my friend did it.

Archived Post 11-09-2011 08:27 AM

No. I cant. Definitly not. Not in the current state or the current-tribble state.

I wish they would change that.

Yeah I know, big suprise for anyone who read any of my posts during the last weeks... :D

Archived Post 11-09-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyias (Post 3854836)
I can

For a new player the game has a plethora of different types of missions to enjoy content. In fact, one of my friends just recently subscribed and is loving the game.

For the record, his time frame may have been off, but it is very possible to get max level AND maxed gear within a week. I know, because my friend did it.

Well of course anyone new is going to have a ton of content to play. But then, anyone new hasn't had to suffer through this past year.

And within a week? Quite possibly. One week is far from "one day" or even one whole weekend. Furthermore, by Cryptic's own admission, the vast majority of their playerbase isn't at level cap, almost 2 years after the game launched. If it's taking the average person that long to get up to cap, why punish everyone else? I have 4 toons. I don't want to see the same, boring old PvE missions over and over for any longer than I have to. I struggled through them 3 times after my first run, I don't want to have to do even more for any additional toons.

Archived Post 11-09-2011 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyias (Post 3854836)
I can

Yeah...a new player wouldnt have any content issues until they hit max level, which would probably be after F2P and we'll probably be seeing the next FE series around that time.

But I would recommend that people wait until after F2P. That way they dont have to pay the monthly sub at all and if they dont enjoy the game then its no loss for them.

The experience for existing subscribers has definitely sucked these past months, theres no denying that. However I am very interested in hearing how people who start at F2P feel about what they are getting for free.

Archived Post 11-09-2011 08:30 AM

would i rate the game to someone? absolutely not.

i can not rate it to anybody if cryptic can not be honest with what they are doing in return, if they want help getting new customers, first they must be honest to themselves and to us.

Archived Post 11-09-2011 08:34 AM

Best recommendation i've given tomy RL friends is due to free to play "atleast it won't cost you anything to try it now."

Course, that comes with my daily feed of the changes going on, for some reason none of my friends who have yet to try it seem interested in trying it... I have gotten a few friends i gained from DCUO to try it, all of them i've felt sorry for recommending it to and i do my best to apologise for it constantly. One of them no longer talks to me because of it.

Archived Post 11-09-2011 08:38 AM

I brought a ton of people back to the game, or to the game for the first time, just before the drought hit. Probably around 30 to 50 people via word of mouth and various forum posts. I was the catalyst for that. Seeing their posts and hearing their comments now after the fact is quite discouraging. I advertised for this game, and vouched for Cryptic. :/

Archived Post 11-09-2011 08:41 AM

Yes. I believe it to one of the best start trek games out there. This is the closest a company has gotten to representing the universe of Star Trek and making it explorable.

I agree however that this game could have come alot farther than it has. It also is hard for anyone to have continued faith. I really think the problem with everything comes down to cryptics ablity to make deadlines.

If they tell us they will come out with something on a certain date then it needs to be done every time in order to bring our faith back. It does not hurt to say that they are working on something, but maybe they need to focus more on one thing at a time.

I feel they spread their staff out to thin. They could release something new once a week rather then clumping it into seasons. Seasons should be for New Story Lines to me and not updates of fixs.

Archived Post 11-09-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprint01
I brought a ton of people back to the game, or to the game for the first time, just before the drought hit. Probably around 30 to 50 people via word of mouth and various forum posts. I was the catalyst for that. Seeing their posts and hearing their comments now after the fact is quite discouraging. I advertised for this game, and vouched for Cryptic. :/

That is very sad to me. That is the kind of thing that hurts our faith in the game. If they want us to bring in new members, then they need to get into gear and put more game into the game.