Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Freindly fire and mines, come on (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=240790)

Archived Post 11-12-2011 08:42 PM

Freindly fire and mines, come on

When u drop mines, you and your team gotta watch out for them. they blow up and anyone near them should fell the blast. same for tricobolts, yes there deadly when the enemy's shields are down. But firing them at point blank, you yourself should take some dmg. Getting tire of these friggin updates on skills and weapons. Some are good, some you just wonder wat are you thinking. Maybe change those Mines and stuff in PVE, But PVP you should take freindly fire, and i dont just mean mines and those tri's. Gravity wells and all those's. Makes you think befor you go guns a blazing and throwin those skills out.
Plus when you chang those skill completly, i think respec tokens for all, i have to change my weapons out or my skill load outs everytime there is an update to the weapon system or skill tree.

Nerf the darn PVE, Make the PVP more stratigic, more brains than phew phew ,freindly fire should be part of this. heck if i want to take a torp salvo to save the curiser , my little ship should,, theres and update for yeah, Intercept torps,,, lol or launch warpcore to blow up on the enemy.'

Just saying, some changes have been good, some are just game killers.
Oh and for the feds, its called team work, not all fed captians can take a fleet on, not like the tv shows anyways.

Archived Post 11-12-2011 09:00 PM

If you in the blast radius of friendly mines and ship explosions, you should take damage.

Gravity wells should also damage everyone in range. That type of damage couldn't determine friendlies from enemies either.

Archived Post 11-12-2011 09:07 PM

Friendly fire sounds great on paper when you think about the tactical nature of it, but it becomes a terrible idea when you remember that many people on the internet find amusement in causing trouble and grief. Players find enough ways to annoy other players without handing them a mechanic tailor made for it.

I still find it shocking that MMO devs need to actually be told that. Its just a given. They tried it, were told it was bad, still pushed it to live, and lo and behold, griefing out the wazoo until it was pulled from live.

Archived Post 11-13-2011 01:02 AM

Fix already on Tribble. Coming to Holodeck soon. too bad Cryptic didn't listen when this stuff was proposed, would have saved them a lot of work and a lot of grief by others.

Archived Post 11-13-2011 05:40 AM

MMOs should not have friendly fire.
End of Story

Archived Post 11-13-2011 08:28 AM

Friendly Fire fails in ALL games.
I don't see any valid reason why any game should have it, there is nothing at all fun with it and it only encourages griefers.

Archived Post 11-13-2011 08:56 AM

Friendly fire in video games takes away from the sole purpose of games - to have fun.

Archived Post 11-13-2011 09:27 AM

Friendly fire makes the game more intresting and it makes a lot of sense tied to certain (stronger) powers... and it causes people using them with more caution.

And that makes the game make MORE fun.

And if people do not like it they just shouldnt use those powers.

Archived Post 11-13-2011 09:28 AM

It is a good idea in theory. The mines in Earth Spacedock were entertaining and easily fixed. What is not easily fixed is dealing with pick up groups where one person is intent on causing havoc for their own entertainment. With friendly fire disabled, the worst they can do is not pull their weight. With friendly fire enabled . . . .

In general, the community is pretty good (although I admit, I have no point of comparison since i have never played an MMO before). However, when the game is opened up to free players. . . . well, we shall see.

Archived Post 11-13-2011 09:47 AM

Friendly fire does NOT make the game more fun and this is a fact that all games have come to realise when it takes only one stupid player to abuse this mechanic. The STO community has repeatedly demonstrated it cannot handle a Friendly Fire mechanic with it being Self-Destruct abuse during beta or the recent friendly fire issue.

Result: No FF should be possible in STO: Period.

Either you dont do it or you do it in full with plasma fire grenades torching people, stun grenades stunning people, Torp spread nuking people and Charged Particle Burst decloaking allies and enemies alike.

Anything less is utter stupidity.