Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=250)
-   -   Unreplicateable Materials Vendor: Bulk purchases please!! (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=241241)

Archived Post 11-17-2011 04:54 PM

Unreplicateable Materials Vendor: Bulk purchases please!!

Okay. This method of "transferring" dilithium to the crafting character seems mostly workable.

However, there is a small User Interface issue.

Let's say I want my crafter alt to make a Mk XI purple weapon. I've got the necessary dilithium, so I head over to Memory Alpha and talk to the vendor.

The recipe requires 3 common, 42 uncommon, and 12 rare unreplicateable materials. So I have to make 57 individual transactions??

By the Sacred Chalice of Rixx, please enable bulk purchases of these materials.

Archived Post 11-17-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gym_Quirk
Okay. This method of "transferring" dilithium to the crafting character seems mostly workable.

However, there is a small User Interface issue.

Let's say I want my crafter alt to make a Mk XI purple weapon. I've got the necessary dilithium, so I head over to Memory Alpha and talk to the vendor.

The recipe requires 3 common, 42 uncommon, and 12 rare unreplicateable materials. So I have to make 57 individual transactions??

By the Sacred Chalice of Rixx, please enable bulk purchases of these materials.

Ouch. I agree that is an major oversight.

Archived Post 11-17-2011 05:01 PM

I can see how one mistake in a bulk transfer might cost someone a ton of dilithium, but that's preferable to buying each one bit by bit.

Archived Post 11-17-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenizenVI
I can see how one mistake in a bulk transfer might cost someone a ton of dilithium, but that's preferable to buying each one bit by bit.

Why not just make it so you can buy in lots of 5 and 10 as well as 1...

That way you can cut down on the possible large errors...

(are We that stoopid?.. guess so... the new signs in ESD must be proof.) :rolleyes:

Archived Post 11-17-2011 07:03 PM

Yeah, planning to get buying in bulk into the next big patch.

Archived Post 11-18-2011 08:31 AM

How about just removing dilithium from crafting like many have suggested. Crafting by its definition should not involve currency.

It's been said this is a quick fix until crafting can be truly revamped; but if that was true, all you had to do was increase the recipe for each item. Instead your putting in more work to add dilithium in so you can make a quick buck. I'm sorry, but it honestly feels like you are trying to squeeze every penny out of us or face long grinds just to get things done.

Archived Post 11-18-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cursix
Instead your putting in more work to add dilithium in so you can make a quick buck. I'm sorry, but it honestly feels like you are trying to squeeze every penny out of us or face long grinds just to get things done.

Which would be fine if it was only effecting the free players.

But Cryptic keeps insisting on nickel and diming the Gold members who are already paying them money each month.

Archived Post 11-18-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cursix
How about just removing dilithium from crafting like many have suggested. Crafting by its definition should not involve currency.

It's been said this is a quick fix until crafting can be truly revamped; but if that was true, all you had to do was increase the recipe for each item. Instead your putting in more work to add dilithium in so you can make a quick buck. I'm sorry, but it honestly feels like you are trying to squeeze every penny out of us or face long grinds just to get things done.

Welcome to what most crafting systems in MMORPGs consist of. Grinding and actual material costs.

The so-called crafting system that is on holodeck right now isn't a traditional crafting system. In fact, it's more like a gathering quest with lots of rewards you can choose from. And the best part is that it only takes a couple hours of your time to max crafting out. I'll repeat: Only a couple hours to max.

That's why crafting had a dilithium cost added to it: The game was basically giving away high quality, max rank items for very little time investment. When they added dilithium to the cost of crafting we found out how much effort Cryptic thinks those items should involve, as data samples and the schematic only reduced the dilithium cost of an item by about 30%. In other words, Cryptic feels that we should have to invest about 70% more effort/time in order to get the same crafting items.

While this is a major nerf, it was required if their dilithium economy was going to work at all. Why would anybody spend dilithium at a vendor for an item when they could make as many items as they wanted?

If you want dilithium costs from crafting completely gone, you have to substitute that 70% added time/effort with some other mechanism.
For example, adding more resources to recipes that take more time, or add a failure mechanism so that it's possible to fail and lose resources. Or they could add sub-combines, so in order to make a phaser array you have to make a bunch of components first, which all require their own resources and combines.

I don't mind dilithium costs for crafting, but I'd like to see it at around 25-35% item cost instead of as high as it is right now.

Archived Post 11-18-2011 02:05 PM

Giving we cannot craft attributes we want into the items or do other nice things that other MMOs do, I don't think dilithium is warranted. Simply doubling or tippling the particle trace requirements alone would add enough time.

Right now it's just a money-grab with dilithium exchangeable for real money via the exchange. Now if they required you to use GPL instead, that would have been at least HALF better than what it is now.

Archived Post 11-18-2011 02:36 PM

Even with bulk purchases, having three classes of unreplicatable materials is a TERRIBLY FLAWED SOLUTION:

1 - Makes crafting recipes even harder to understand; figuring out how much dilithium needed for a particular item is a MESS

2 - You've taken one currency and made it into 4! This is NOT AN IMPROVEMENT.

3 - Without the ability to trade between classes of materials, you now can get your dilithium locked up into even more useless forms. What if you ended up buying the rare variety, but later decide another item would be better that requires as much dilithium cost, but in uncommon? Screwed again.

Honestly, why didn't you just make ONE form of materials and just let us use/trade that as a replacement for the SINGLE-VALUED dilithium cost?

That would be BETTER for us in just about every way imaginable.