Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=250)
-   -   New Patch Changes 18-11-2011 (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=241306)

Archived Post 11-18-2011 01:23 AM

New Patch Changes 18-11-2011

For the most part I like a lot of the changes... They make sense, look good and fit within the Star Trek Realm.

This being said, Please bring back the Orignal Log-in screen. The one with the UFP Light Blue Background and the UFP Logo in the middle of the screen. The new version is to GAME like. I actually thought it was cool and enjoyed leaving my Computer on that Log-in Screen, just because it looked like a Star Trek Desk Computer from Star Trek with that background.

Another thing I thought was just a little to much was the Cartoon looking Signs... Now, I'm all for Signs on ESD, Mem. Alpha or anywhere else that needs them, but please, please don't use these new ones that have been uploaded into the game. It's too TOS style and to much of a Childs Eye Candy then it is for the "Older" ones who play this game more.

Other then that, AWESOME work, especially with the DOff UI Window... Love the new layout. But miss the Double clicking on the Asignment bar, as it is now, you need to click the ACCEPT button at the bottom right of the window to accept an Asignment.

Looking forward to more... =)

Archived Post 11-18-2011 02:01 AM

There was already a thread, and reply from Heretic on the double clicking bit.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...62#post3865662

The rest, I agree with. The new login screen is nice, but I liked how the old one looks like an actual terminal screen. Maybe make the two show up randomly?

Archived Post 11-18-2011 08:48 AM

I'd like to be able to check out the new signs at ESD, but I can't seem to get past the loading screen.

Also, what is up with the chat? It no longer displays what channel the person is chatting in. And the conversations get turned off and on when I simply select to type into zone.

Archived Post 11-18-2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latinumbar
I'd like to be able to check out the new signs at ESD, but I can't seem to get past the loading screen.

Also, what is up with the chat? It no longer displays what channel the person is chatting in. And the conversations get turned off and on when I simply select to type into zone.

Displaying the chat channel is still available, it's now an option in the chat settings.

Archived Post 11-18-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspired (Post 3866844)
Displaying the chat channel is still available, it's now an option in the chat settings.

Thanks. I'll check that out.

Also, I seem to be getting repeated patching. Everytime I start up STO, it seems to patch with the same 1985K patch.

Archived Post 11-18-2011 09:46 AM

Quote:

Someone posted in another thread about going to SFA then up to ESD to avoid the loading screen from hell. I was a little doubtful but since I've been doing this I've not had a single freeze on the loading screen so it may be worth trying to see if it helps you too (assuming you can get out of the one you're in currently).

Archived Post 11-18-2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Militis (Post 3866928)
(assuming you can get out of the one you're in currently).

LOL. Yup, this.

Archived Post 11-18-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Thanks. I'll check that out.

Also, I seem to be getting repeated patching. Everytime I start up STO, it seems to patch with the same 1985K patch.

Turn off ON DEMAND PATCHING, that will fix it.

Archived Post 11-18-2011 11:58 AM

the signs are holographic and make finding certain areas on ESD alot easier compared to the old ones and I like the new login screen the old one was too plain this one makes it feel more trek IMO so as far as im concerned they can leave it that way

Archived Post 11-22-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elysia_1 (Post 3866401)

This being said, Please bring back the Orignal Log-in screen. The one with the UFP Light Blue Background and the UFP Logo in the middle of the screen. The new version is to GAME like. I actually thought it was cool and enjoyed leaving my Computer on that Log-in Screen, just because it looked like a Star Trek Desk Computer from Star Trek with that background.

One awesome thing that happened recently was the vendor table was moved from the tailor so there is room to talk to him without pushing and crowding other players. I think something appropriate could replace it later. Something smaller and off to the side more. But overall this is FULL OF WIN. This has been high on my list (but I left it alone because I thought no one else cared) actually since they added the giant hologram which made the spot so crowded. This is the kind of thing that needs to be addressed and I LOVE the way it was addressed. As soon as we saw that it was too crowded the best quick answer was to simply remove the table since the open space is more important. It took a little while, but you guys did get this one right. I feel like someone else (at Cryptic) saw the same problem I saw, agreed that something needed to be done, and did the best they could at the moment given other fixes that needed to be addressed. This was all gain for F2P and no loss. I hope this kind of thinking continues in the future. If the table can be replaced someday with something better, great. Until then 'nothing' is much better than letting the problem persist. I only wish we could see more of this right now-- that sometimes having 'nothing' is better than having something that is broken. Really this even applies to the BO problem. Just turning them off to let us know you are doing all you can would be better than a bunch of ridiculous and off-putting clones.

I 100% agree about the Log on/off wallpaper. Much like a toggle for the bouncing signs over the vendors’ heads, or the annoying help boxes that pop up and tell me where I am, this would be a big win if we just had an option here. Please allow us to select which log background we use with the old one being on that list. As much as I dislike the new signs, this one actually bothers me even more. I have just been more vocal about the signs because I understand there was a lot of work put into them and I can sympathize with whomever did all that work. Also there are a lot of specifics that can be given as feedback on what is wrong with the new signs. This thing with the loading screen (and the immersion 'nerf' about to happen to the character create screen) just has me so frustrated I have not even known where to start. Plus the log screen issue is much less complicated so it doesn’t require as much work to explain my objection.

I'm an immersion player. That's about all there is to it. That is my play style. That is one of, if not my favorite thing I enjoy about the game. Cryptic is giving every indication that I am in a small minority and the issues that affect my style of game play will always be their lowest priority.

Any official statements I have been able to find about 'cosmetic' 'immersion' issues that have nothing to do with 'real game play' only seem to indicate that the Cryptic team as it now stands has no regard for this type of issue at all and they will always be moved to the lowest possible priority. Even below what seems to me to be far more trivial issues (like for some reason the removal of stairs in Stateroom was moved to higher priority than the bridge dup bug.

The statement about the log screen wall paper was (not a direct quote) something along the lines of that it was done basically on a whim. It required little effort and the the decision was given little thought. The question "how might this effect players whose primary concern is immersion?" was never considered.

The immersion issues are then compounded by other things in the UI that were changed for 'no reason' while 'important' things aren't getting fixed.

There are issues with the new character select that is in place on tribble also, but I don't want to get started on them right now. At the very least, please reconsider the logic of a 'delete' button embedded in the button I have to click on to select an existing character. Hidden 'blind' mind you until I have already clicked the select button.

I think I heard something about the current video intro with Nimoy's voice over "After I left SF I made it my life's work..." being updated. If this happens please preserve the current one by placing it in an archive to be watched on the STO website or something. If Nimoy voice rights are an issue than at least leave it available with subtitles and music only. I really love the intro. I enjoy it and look forward to it every time I start a new toon. (I have over a dozen toons). I had mixed feelings about the JJ movie and I love how this intro bridges that gap and helps explain where the movie fits into the cannon time line. I honestly think it does a better job of explaining this than the movie itself. I have believed for most of the last year or two that STO really is the worthy successor to the near term future of the Trek franchise/IP. This intro is directly responsible for that. It made me believe that I really was part of a 'living' world that was moving the Trek timeline forward. I was thinking "Man, I hope that CBS considers the game cannon and incorporates the game events/characters/ races into future cannon time line projects. All the hard work that has gone into many areas of the game deserve that recognition." If the current opening sequence is dropped from the game in some unceremonious way and simply discarded because 'hey we found something more shiny and new to fit in that hole' without even the small amount of effort that it would take to post the old one in a YouTube embed on the website, then I really will have to give up on the current dev team. I'm sorry to have to say that. If everything in the game that I feel has the MOST value is considered by the team to have the LEAST value then it will be pointless for me to stay.

The BO duplicate bug was a big letdown after it went on for so long with no indication given that Cryptic plans to fix it before F2P. The new signs and the log out screen were a big 1 - 2 - punch-in-the-gut.

I guess this is how anyone feels when they feel like their pet issue is being ignored. (PvP, KDF).