Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Tribble - Bug Reports (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=229)
-   -   Cannot Select different ship or customize current ship at ESD (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=242125)

Archived Post 11-25-2011 02:32 PM

Cannot Select different ship or customize current ship at ESD

I'm in the ESD shipyard on Tribble
Neither of the generic federation engineers are responsive, neither are their respective consoles for ship selection or customization...I've tried this with my main fed (imported) character and my native Tribble Character.

Consequently, even though I own about 25 ships, I'm currently stuck in my Luna Class Science Cruiser.
Don't get me wrong, she's a very nice ship.

Is this a new feature? It seems to have rolled out with the latest patch to Tribble.

I'm just saying...

Archived Post 11-25-2011 02:40 PM

The ship selector and ship tailor are both in the ship requsitions room now, so that when you get a new ship, you can immediately select and customize it.

Malcolm Sissel (still upstairs) explains this in dialog if you talk to him.

Archived Post 11-25-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jheinig (Post 3876283)
The ship selector and ship tailor are both in the ship requsitions room now, so that when you get a new ship, you can immediately select and customize it.

...if you're dumping all the Ship related stuff into one place, kudos! However, any chance of us getting to it without going through a load screen?

Archived Post 11-25-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jheinig (Post 3876283)
The ship selector and ship tailor are both in the ship requisitions room now, so that when you get a new ship, you can immediately select and customize it.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you make the two unused consoles on both sides of the upper platform the new target points for this interaction?

That would make a whole heck of a lot more sense than having two NPCs standing practically in the middle of the room.

Especially since it's not really a person-to-person interaction when we adjust our ships.

At the very least, wouldn't it have made more sense to put these two guys 'Next To' each of those consoles?

I know this sounds a bit critical, but sometimes I wonder if things like this are planned out, or just spur-of-the-moment, slam-bang, we'll-fix-it-later kinda thinking...?...

Oh Hell, since I'm in a nit-pick mood...

Why didn't ya place Lt Commander Arut NEXT to the table in Requisitions?

You've got Ensign Lessa next to it..., what..., are the two of them not on speaking terms this month?

Also, When are the two Commodity Vendors going to get their own little counter space, they stick out like a sore thumb in the middle of the room....?...

I'm sure you've heard this ad-infinitum since the game started, but It's the little things that impress people and make the game a little more enjoyable.

And lordy knows, we could ALL use a little more joy around here.

BTW: Just so I'm not a total negetive-nelly here, I do like the new reduced lighting on ESD.

Archived Post 11-25-2011 04:26 PM

Oh I see, It IS a feature....

Thanks Jesse,

I was confused since these functions are still integrated on every other Starbase, (SB39, DS9 and K7).
I guess I missed that memo.
Also, neither of my characters is on speaking terms with Malcolm Sissel.

It does make the ESD shipyard a kinda empty place....the only function there now seems to be ship repair.

I'm just saying.

Archived Post 11-25-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PerseusTong (Post 3876339)
Thanks Jesse,

I was confused since these functions are still integrated on every other Starbase, (SB39, DS9 and K7).
I guess I missed that memo.
Also, neither of my characters is on speaking terms with Malcolm Sissel.

It does make the ESD shipyard a kinda empty place....the only function there now seems to be ship repair.

I'm just saying.

They might just as well move all the ship stuff to the lower room at this point, and use the upper area for something else.

I can't think of anything at the moment, but I'm sure somebody else can... any takers??

Archived Post 11-25-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyNY (Post 3876350)
They might just as well move all the ship stuff to the lower room at this point, and use the upper area for something else.

I can't think of anything at the moment, but I'm sure somebody else can... any takers??

Some sort of duty officer room might be cool -- would make the system more prominent. Same could go for foundry content. Some sort of officer report kiosk or npc would give the system more visibility.

And Cryptic, please consider using "Officer Reports" instead of "Community Content" in all references. Don't break immersion needlessly.

-Forjo

Archived Post 11-25-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forjo (Post 3876395)
Some sort of duty officer room might be cool -- would make the system more prominent. Same could go for foundry content. Some sort of officer report kiosk or npc would give the system more visibility.

And Cryptic, please consider using "Officer Reports" instead of "Community Content" in all references. Don't break immersion needlessly.

-Forjo

Perhaps They could take ALL the Kiosks from in front of Sick Bay and move them there...

Then expand Sick Bay to make it seem more like a Station Facility, rather than a ship-board one.

Archived Post 11-25-2011 07:07 PM

The consoles upstairs will likely get some functionality for people who are just changing ships without buying a new one. I didn't have time to do this on Tuesday.

Vendor placement relies on several factors. Consider: if you're a first-time player and just got your new ship. The ship selector needs to be in a place right by you, where you will immediately see the vendor without having to look around. Thus, near the ship vendor, in a location that will be noticed as soon as the player turns away from the ship vendor. No need to make players wander all over trying to find the selector! (Putting an alternative selector on a console in the shipyard will be useful to experienced players who are just popping in to change ships.)

Lt. Arut needs to be far enough away that her interaction range doesn't overlap and cause players to have to go through multiple selection buttons at once. The vendors need to have a large enough interaction range that multiple people can work with them at the same time, but without overlapping their interaction ranges (which gets messy when you just want to run up and recycle a pile of gear).

Archived Post 11-25-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jheinig (Post 3876438)
The consoles upstairs will likely get some functionality for people who are just changing ships without buying a new one. I didn't have time to do this on Tuesday.

Vendor placement relies on several factors. Consider: if you're a first-time player and just got your new ship. The ship selector needs to be in a place right by you, where you will immediately see the vendor without having to look around. Thus, near the ship vendor, in a location that will be noticed as soon as the player turns away from the ship vendor. No need to make players wander all over trying to find the selector! (Putting an alternative selector on a console in the shipyard will be useful to experienced players who are just popping in to change ships.)

Lt. Arut needs to be far enough away that her interaction range doesn't overlap and cause players to have to go through multiple selection buttons at once. The vendors need to have a large enough interaction range that multiple people can work with them at the same time, but without overlapping their interaction ranges (which gets messy when you just want to run up and recycle a pile of gear).

I understand your reasoning, but...

It's a GAME, aren't we supposed to try and figure out things for ourselves??

And is it really such a stretch between the two existing consoles that newbies (again) wouldn't be able to figure it out for themselves??

It just sees to me that many things in this GAME are practically handed to the players, (except for Dilithium) when a very tiny bit of common sense, would suffice.

This kind of mentality toward F2P'ers/newbies, IMPO, is kind of insulting...

But then again, I'm no Game Designer, so perhaps You Folks know best.

Sooo... the two ladies won't be on speaking terms for quite some time to come then... <chuckle>