Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Duty Officer System and R&D (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=251)
-   -   Duty Officer System Idea (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=242136)

Archived Post 11-25-2011 06:04 PM

Duty Officer System Idea

As many of you know, the Duty Officer System is one of the best things on Tribble :) It's very Star Trek, quite fun, and kinda addicting

But, we're only allowed 20 missions at one time... it may not seem like much, but when you consider all the missions in each and every sector (this includes Exploration Sectors, just so you know :D and i think some major planet maps, but I'm not sure on that one), it adds up quite quickly. So, I had an idea on the subject. EDIT: more than just the mission slots are part of this idea now
Perhaps, when the game goes F2P, this would happen:

Silver players: 20 mission slots, 100 reserve roster, 20 passengers and 20 prisoner spots
Gold players: 30 mission slots (or maybe 40... whatever is fair), 120 reserve roster, 25 passengers and 25 prisoner spots
Ability to buy more slots: Silver/Gold

With this idea, Gold subscribers get another perk, Cryptic gets another source of money, and people get the ability to buy slots should 20 or 30 not seem like enough to them, up to a limit, whatever it is.

It sounds good to me :) But what do the forums think? (and please, focus only on Duty Officer System-related posts)

Archived Post 11-25-2011 07:46 PM

Would need to expand the reserve roster. You only get 100 officers (plus 20 passengers and 20 prisoners), and it's actually possible to have every single one of your officers out on assignment at once. Subtract 10 for the active roster and an arbitrary number in sickbay, and even capped at 100 a good run of military assignments can leave me with nobody to send out and sell my leftover provisions for EC.

But, hey, there's another C-store item they can sell (something they've tossed mention of already for that matter), so I guess this is actually a vote in favor.

The way lockouts work (i.e. even if you see it in 5 sectors you can only do a lot of trade, science, and exploration assignments once per reset) upping the cap for golds is a smaller boost than it could be, but I'd definitely go for an extra 5-10.

Archived Post 11-25-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Would need to expand the reserve roster. You only get 100 officers (plus 20 passengers and 20 prisoners), and it's actually possible to have every single one of your officers out on assignment at once. Subtract 10 for the active roster and an arbitrary number in sickbay, and even capped at 100 a good run of military assignments can leave me with nobody to send out and sell my leftover provisions for EC.

But, hey, there's another C-store item they can sell (something they've tossed mention of already for that matter), so I guess this is actually a vote in favor.

The way lockouts work (i.e. even if you see it in 5 sectors you can only do a lot of trade, science, and exploration assignments once per reset) upping the cap for golds is a smaller boost than it could be, but I'd definitely go for an extra 5-10.
yeah... that could work too :) Gold members get increased reserver roster (passengers and prisoners too), increased number of missions they can send out, etc etc

Silver keep what they start with, or get freely, but they can pay for more. And if Gold wants more, they can buy it

either way, the idea just seems to work :) Gold members get a perk, Cryptic gets more money, you get it.

Archived Post 11-25-2011 08:12 PM

Increasing the amount of missions would just allow people to burn through them faster. Not good really,

Increasing the crew roster is better and leaves more room for c-store purchases. AT THE VERY LEAST, I'd love to see doffs that you assign ship or ground, removed from the roster total, like colonists and such. That's 10 more slots I could fill from c-store or other means and use on assignments.

Archived Post 11-25-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Increasing the amount of missions would just allow people to burn through them faster. Not good really,

Increasing the crew roster is better and leaves more room for c-store purchases. AT THE VERY LEAST, I'd love to see doffs that you assign ship or ground, removed from the roster total, like colonists and such. That's 10 more slots I could fill from c-store or other means and use on assignments.
you do bring up a good point :)

still, the ability to get more slots, be they mission or roster or whatever, allows players to adjust to their individual needs. i think Cryptic should go for this, as i have yet to see any major flaws with the idea :)

Archived Post 12-05-2011 05:54 AM

Engineering missions

So far all I have gotten is run diagnostics on the 'Primary Weapons Coils'.

Does this actually exist? I'm not really sure.

Anyway. Are there other engineering missions.

If these are not in I would like to suggest them here: (If there is another thread for doff missions please link me . ty ) These ideas are based on Enterprise D Blueprint items by Dr. Rick Sternbach (ST Senior Illustrator)

- Change Air Scrubbers: Crewmen in several ship areas are looking a bit green and exibiting signs of taking in tainted air. Time to send out some engineers to replace or repair the 'Air Scrubbers' in these areas. Requires: engineer(s)

- Repair / Replace EPS Step Up & Step Down Nodes: Regulating the levels of the EPS system is the job of the 'STEP UP' and 'STEP DOWN' nodes. Battle places the most wear and tear on these systems but something as simple as turning on a toaster for breakfast can cause a node to malfunction. Send out your engineers to fix the faulty nodes. Requires: engineer(s)

- Restock Organic Storage Tanks: Everyone likes food! Keep those replicators kicking out tasty goodness by keeping your 'Organic Matter Storage' tanks' supplied and in working order. Requires: engineer(s), Trader(s), Quartermaster(s)

-Restock Non-Organic Matter Storage tanks: Nuts and bolts, Spoons and forks...anything non-organic that is replicated needs resources to be replicated. Keep your 'Non-Organic Storage' tanks supplied and in working order. Requires: engineer(s), Quartermaster(s), Trader(s).

- Realign Dilithium Crystal(s): Dilithium Crystals are the only thing capable of splitting an antimatter stream into two or more streams so it can be converted into working plasma for a Star Ships Electro Plasma System. Split streams move up the pylons and charge the Warp Coils. So be sure your crystals are seated properly! Requires: engineer(s)

-Maintain Sensor Platform: Maintain and keep your sensors aligned. Requires: engineer(s), Scientist(s)

-Examine Primary Hull

-Examine Secondary Hull

-Maintain Turbolift

- Maintain Waste/Water Syetems

-Maintain Superstructure

-Maintain Modular connections.

-Maintain Emergency Lifeboats

-Maintain Shuttlebay

-Maintain Workabees

-maintain Captains yacht

-Maintain cooridors, walls, floors, lights

------------------------

Archived Post 12-05-2011 05:59 AM

Personally I think whoever's out there making assignments should look at recruitment before they start improving flavor on other categories. The only way to actively work on that one is to buy and dump hundreds of doffs.

It doesn't even have to be things that give crew. Take a look at all the stuff the US Army does to college and high school kids and start from there. Recruitment visits, sign up drives, evaluating foreign applicants. And, since we have a dedicated passenger section with a decent amount of space, the bare bones of the colonization system could be duplicated as transporting cadets to the academy.

Archived Post 12-05-2011 06:18 AM

I think the number of Doff assignment slots should increase as you level. So start off with, say, 10 slots, then build up to 20 or 25 when you reach VA.

Adding a C-Store option for more slots would obviously be something to consider, but limit the number of slots you can buy at each rank.

Archived Post 12-05-2011 08:15 AM

Nice idea, especially with a bit of an increase to total number of possible Duty Officers. Also, I'm caught wondering if the entire DOFF system wouldn't make a great way to integrate STO with smartphones and whatnot. Seems like the DOFF missions would be fun to be accessed in some fashion from a mobile device. I hear all the cool MMOs are doing it. ;)

Archived Post 12-05-2011 08:19 AM

Farky mentioned sumfin that the overall cumplement of duffs can be increased to 150 or even 200 with C-store points, just not sure when it's gunna be out.