Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   A possible lack in diversity? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=243068)

Archived Post 12-03-2011 12:43 AM

A possible lack in diversity?

Hello I'm here to make what seems like a pretty obvious point. It would seem that the Federation side is vary unbalanced to the Klingon when it comes to diversity. Were the KDF has not only Klingon designs but designs from three other races (Gorn, Orion and Nausicaan) the Federation has only federation designs with the exception of 1 Vulcan ship. Considering all the species in the federation that would have their own fleets and ships to aid the federation what has happened to them? Such as the Andorians?

It just seems to me that (even if not powerful) an addition of non-federation standard ships should be added at least to provide more the one alternative choice to the ship styles. Perhaps this is the wrong spot to put this up but honestly where else would it fit?

I do realize they are also working on the ships for the Cardassians, Romulans and so forth which (according to rumor) will be playable sometime in the future but for the moment we only have two choices, lots of missions one species's ships or lots of ships but few missions.

I am looking to see who is on board with the idea of putting this forth. The addition of more race ships to the Federation.

Archived Post 12-03-2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinix
what has happened to them?

An infintessimally small and under-equipped development team happened to them.

I'm all for more choice, not just in ship but in career - trader, privateer, marauder, Maquis, neutral...

Archived Post 12-03-2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varlo
An infintessimally small and under-equipped development team happened to them.

I'm all for more choice, not just in ship but in career - trader, privateer, marauder, Maquis, neutral...

I would be for that as well. More career paths however I think career paths might not be far off considering what they've introduced in the duty officers. Odds are the extra career paths might pop up as 'specialization' careers.
Tactical - Marauder, ect
Engineer - Looter, ect
Science - Doctor, ect
Universal - Diplomat, Privateer, ect

Archived Post 12-03-2011 04:00 AM

Sadly ironic that a faction that claims to embrace diversity of its people has only one ship design from a different member race, while the brutal evil empire on the other side has ships built by several different races in its fleet.

Archived Post 12-03-2011 05:08 AM

The reason for that difference is obvious:

The Federation has one unified military organization:
Starfleet.
And it has been that way for 248 years.
Post 2161 the only Vulcan ships we ever saw were science ships.
And Cryptic should have used the T'Pau type not the D'kry (but I know at least one person on these forums who did not want that because did not like the band with the same name)

The Klingons and their allies are not a unified military in the ses Starfleet is and have only worked together for a few years.

So ships from non-Starfleet organizations in use by Starfleet will of course be rare just because Starfleet had a quarter of a millenium to use the technology of its member races to build its own ships.

Archived Post 12-03-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mister_dee

Starfleet.
And Cryptic should have used the T'Pau type not the D'kry (but I know at least one person on these forums who did not want that because did not like the band with the same name)

The Klingons and their allies are not a unified military in the ses Starfleet is and have only worked together for a few years.

So ships from non-Starfleet organizations in use by Starfleet will of course be rare just because Starfleet had a quarter of a millenium to use the technology of its member races to build its own ships.

I have to agree with mister_dee on this one. I understand the want for more unique and diverse ships, it really does not make sense to have them in Starfleet. Starfleet (as was stated earlier) is a finely tuned military organization that uses the technology and tactics of it's member races to make one medium. Which ends up being the ships we see and play. On the other hand the Klingons don't really care who flies what, as long as they blow things up really well and quickly.

However, because Perfect World has taken over ownership of the game, it's safe to say that these new interspecies ships are a reality. C'mon, Perfect world wants this to be one of it's own silly MMOs with holiday celebrations and stupid dance parties...

Sorry, that's a rant for another time.

It is nice however because they will hopefully start putting in ships that the players have been calling for since the dawn of time, like the Jupiter Class Dreadnought and the Typhoon Class Battleship.

Yup,
Quiiliitiila

P.S.
VOTE JUPITER!!

Archived Post 12-04-2011 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mister_dee

Starfleet.

I agree with this assement. In addition, when groups come together, their assest are often pooled until the older designs are phased out. Standardisation takes time, especially when thsoe groups have dramatically divergent priorities and motivations.

Archived Post 12-04-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilCell (Post 3888409)
I agree with this assement. In addition, when groups come together, their assest are often pooled until the older designs are phased out. Standardisation takes time, especially when thsoe groups have dramatically divergent priorities and motivations.

Thanks.

In a different thread there was also another question raised that directly plays into your desription of standardisation and priority.
There, some people asked why at low levels (when the KDF actually had them) everyone was flying around in Birds of Prey.
One of the reasons for the current predominance of Klingon ships is of course availability, or perhaps even ubiquity.
Klingons, as the major partner of the alliance, are most likley blessed with the highest production capacity.
Not to mention that the Gorn probably lost a lot of ships in their conflict with the Klingons and would probably conentrate on production of high priority ships.
Other ships can easily be obtained from the Klingons.
It's not too different from alliances between major and smaller powers in RL.
Result is of course that the KDF ends up as a rather "colourful bunch" with Gorn and Nausicaans flying Klingon ships for example.

Archived Post 12-06-2011 11:25 PM

Colourful bunch?

From now on the kdf shall be known as... The Flying Circus!

Archived Post 12-06-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salsadoom (Post 3893069)
Colourful bunch?

From now on the kdf shall be known as... The Flying Circus!

Is this one of the KDF's training exercises then?