Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Question: Has leveling a new Alt gotten better or worse? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=243287)

Archived Post 12-04-2011 06:18 PM

Question: Has leveling a new Alt gotten better or worse?

Simple premise, simple question.

With the myriad of changes that have come down the pipe with Seasons 4 and 5, has STOs leveling experience changed for the better or for the worse?

Archived Post 12-04-2011 06:27 PM

I'm going to go ahead and throw some optional questions in as well, that should probably be considered in pondering the main issue.

Gold Accounts:
  • How does a Stipend help a Gold Player?
  • How does the Dilithium Economy help/hurt a Gold Player?
  • How do the changes to Crafting help or hurt a Gold Player?
  • How does the new Skill Tree help/hurt a Gold player? Keep in mind the Stipend gives a Gold player an opportunity for a monthly a Respec above and beyond the rank-up Respec Gold Players enjoy.

Silver Accounts (hypothesize if you're actually Gold):
  • How do the limited Inventory spaces of a Silver Account help or hurt a Silver Player?
  • How does the Dilithium Economy help/hurt a Silver Player?
  • How do the changes to Crafting help/hurt a Silver player?
  • How does the new Skill Tree help/hurt a Silver Player?

Archived Post 12-04-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katic (Post 3889101)
Simple premise, simple question.

With the myriad of changes that have come down the pipe with Seasons 4 and 5, has STOs leveling experience changed for the better or for the worse?

in term of speed the leveling has become easier and somewhat more fun with doff system.

HOWEVER it is all negated by the fact that you do not get the va ship tokken so once you hit va ur screwed and u might as well quit.

no reason to level a toon if you dont get the ships ( AS A PAYING customer )

i understand completly for free players dont get ships but as a life timer and not get a va ship tokken is just well you just sit there and go wth are im suppose to do ?

Archived Post 12-04-2011 07:15 PM

It is both easier to level and easier to acquire gear--but only if you use the DOFF system to complement what you're doing already.

Archived Post 12-04-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
It is both easier to level and easier to acquire gear--but only if you use the DOFF system to complement what you're doing already.

So long as what you're doing already includes doing the Dailies. But go on..

I'm asking about an actual breakdown of the differences pre-Season 4/5 and pro-Season4/5.

Archived Post 12-04-2011 07:20 PM

Kati, from my perspective, I can't even log in for 20 minutes and feel like I have incentive to play. I'm a gold account sure, but doesn't seem as if it helps.

Maybe I can physically by the numbers level an alt faster, but I have no incentive for that alt to want to train in crafting, due to the fact I am stuck by the "unreplicatable materials" (aka dilithium) at advanced levels of crafting.

Next, I have to do all the missions in some order that is laid out to me like a school lesson plan, and it feels completely forced.

Then when I hit RA/VA, I can do the STF's over and over and over just to get a simple armor set and new ground weapons.

Add in the fact that there are no new story developments, and I'm playing the same stuff all the way through.

Frankly, it sucks...as a veteran player there simply isn't the "fun" factor to things anymore, nor replay value.

As far as the skill tree, I'm glad it was consolidated some, but again, it seems haphazard because some of the skill categories are head-scratchers.

In summary, STO isn't just listing anymore, she's sinking. Fast.

Archived Post 12-04-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtEliz
HOWEVER it is all negated by the fact that you do not get the va ship tokken so once you hit va ur screwed and u might as well quit.

I hate this. Really, I do. People think you absolutely have to have one of those fancy VA ships to compete at VA, when this is totally untrue.

The so-called VA ships are balanced against the RA ships, and are all T5. There is no T5.5. You do not need them. You are not screwed without the token.

Archived Post 12-04-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LtEliz
in term of speed the leveling has become easier and somewhat more fun with doff system.

no reason to level a toon if you dont get the ships ( AS A PAYING customer )

i understand completly for free players dont get ships but as a life timer and not get a va ship tokken is just well you just sit there and go wth are im suppose to do ?

Once you hit 600 days veteran status, you unlock a VA token. Thereafter, every character you rank up to and through VA, receives a ship token when you rank up.

Archived Post 12-04-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jexsam (Post 3889153)
I hate this. Really, I do. People think you absolutely have to have one of those fancy VA ships to compete at VA, when this is totally untrue.

The so-called VA ships are balanced against the RA ships, and are all T5. There is no T5.5. You do not need them. You are not screwed without the token.

Jexsam, I appreciate your intent, I do, and I even agree with you (on the "need' for VA ships vs RA ships), but that's not the kind of discussion I'm looking for in this thread.

If you hadn't noticed, I'm trying to inject as little opinion into this thread as possible, to avoid the "opinion vs opinion" problems present in so many threads, for which I have no small amount of guilt myself.

Archived Post 12-04-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jexsam (Post 3889153)

Ye cause the star cruiser is so much faster and nimbler than a Intrepid retrofit with ablative hull armor and faster turn rate and speed ?

ohh waiiit its turtle vs rabbit mate its not balanced one bit. YOU WILL need a va ship :) at least i do :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PodSix
Once you hit 600 days veteran status, you unlock a VA token. Thereafter, every character you rank up to and through VA, receives a ship token when you rank up.

ye couse i need to wait 2 years to get a va token when i can level my toon to va in 1 month ?

i got 300 days couse im a lifer but i need to wait additional 300 days to get a va ship ? already spent over 300+ dollars on the game + c store points over the course of that year.

and im not valided to be a customer to get a va token ?

basicly ur saying i should quit and come back in 1 year and i get the ship i need when i level up ?

yee right cryptic.

basicly i reinstate.

you should get dilithoum no matter what mission you do.
and yes faster to level an alt due to doff system but its all negated by the fact you dont get a va ship token thats teh truth.

theres no incentive to do it.

think of it like this.

im being forced into doing same dailys day in and day out to get a ship im forced to do only dailys nothing else or i risk not being able to get the ship i need.

not really fun is it ?

they need to add dilithium to story missions and give back va ships to lifers. and gold members little earlier than 600 days.

for lifers id say you should get it just couse u payed 300 bucks.