Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=250)
-   -   M.A.C.O. Space Set Analysis/Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=243688)

Archived Post 12-07-2011 05:57 AM

Set issues

Update: The first peak on the new set changes for space is out, Linked here.

Update: As I was examining sets and their bonuses I have come across several broken abilities within 3 out of the 5 set items.

Originally I was grinding for the Omega Force Mk XI gear a few lucky common borg tech drops gave me the opportunity to test the M.A.C.O. gear at Mk. X. I'll list the good, the stats at VA and what I feel is the bad.

<Stats removed due to balance pass in progress>

The Good::)

Capacity on the Resilient Shield Array is excellent. Higher Mk. Variants seem to get more capacity/regen as well.
Visual effects are subtle. If you like Garish things on your ship, this isn't your set. The look is sleek and hex textured giving a pseudo carbon fiber look up close. It's so understated that at first I didn't notice the extra shiny parts or black accents. The engines are actually my favorite addition in visuals as they give a great looking green and blue impulse trail (Tangent: Looks great with the Reman Shield). When your ship goes to 3/4 warp speed an asymmetric warp bubble appears around the ship that is frankly awesome in my opinion.

The Bad::(

Bonus from Power Conduit Link is subpar. Seriously, +1 to my energy levels is so underwhelming. Now if the effect stacked 10 times like the Aegis 3 piece set it would actually be useful. As is the shield effect is out classed by ANY (excluding the breen) other set item shield.

The 9.99 warp Speed indicator is at best disappointing. Alternatives to the Legacy Borg engines in sector space would be welcome. I'd suggest that it get boosted to warp 10 - 12. There is such a great effect made for the engines, it's sad that the bonus doesn't give you that "oh badass" feeling.

The M.A.C.O. Engines are not even as close to as fast as the Aegis Hyper Impulse engines. Granted the Engines are Mk. X however because of the way the Starship Manuvers bonus is applied to the Aegis engines you're getting faster flight speed, AND a +5% bonus defense. Does Starfleet R&D not talk to one another? As it stands, the engines are out classed by the Aegis and Borg sets.

The 2 Piece set bonus is "iffy". +10 in Warp core Potential yielded a total of +1 in 2 systems for me. The potential should be boosted to +40 or so to be a good draw (IMHO). The +15 in power setting resistance is an unknown. As stated above, a borg 2 piece set gets you a random 50% hull heal, (not including the bonuses from the assimilated console). a 2 piece Aegis set nets you +10% Bonus defense. There is a great disparity when you can have a 2 Piece Aegis and Borg combo and have +10% defense AND a 50% hull heal with improved critical hit, hull heal, and + 5 weapon power.

The Heavy Graviton Beam. God knows how much I want to love this ability. It's like a phaser lance without any actual ability to damage anything. It does buff with Tactical skills, and when spec'd into it claims to do around -1000%+ to flight speed (applied 2x) and around 20,000 kinetic damage. Except it never seems to do ANY damage. I've tried it on unshielded NPC's, random PvPers. As far as I can see it's a total 0 damage weapon. A Transphasic Torpedo seems to make more of a dent.

Edit: Also, perhaps it's a nitpick, but the icon for the Graviton Beam is a generic item combadge. I submitted it as a bug, but a real icon would be appreciated.

Archived Post 12-07-2011 06:08 AM

a lot of what i'm hearing on the forums is that these items aren't really worth it with MAYBE the exception of the Mk XII which is all but impossible to get with out sneaking into cryptic's offices at night an unlocking it on your account.....

Archived Post 12-07-2011 06:32 AM

Lol.

Hahaha. I honestly didn't expect them to be the end all be all in set items, since the breen set it seems that cryptic has been looking to scale back their bonuses on set items. However for the amount of grind a player has to do to get even the Mk XI set (rare drops not included) I'd hope they would be on par with the existing set items. As is, the breen 2 piece set gives you a +30 to kinetic damage (seems bugged) and 30% more power regen, which is more useful than the M.A.C.O. Set.

I'm not even suggesting that the new sets be superior to the old ones, however the legacy sets are MUCH stronger in terms of bonuses and cost MUCH less to acquire. A balance pass would be a good idea for all set items.

The imbalance just becomes more pronounced when you start mixing and matching set bonuses. I'm not even going to approach the PvP angle on the items in this thread.

All that said I do appreciate all the work put into the new set items. They are very polished. However, I'd love to hear from the Dev. Team on why they chose to give them such low abilities without either nerfing the legacy sets to match or bringing them up to the same level.

Archived Post 12-07-2011 09:08 AM

when i compared my borg set to the others,on paper the others looked better til i came to the set bonuses.when i found out what they did,i was like um no im not wasting weeks or months trying to get gear that has worse set bonuses that my borg set.now if they made a borg ground set.....

Archived Post 12-07-2011 10:06 AM

It really isnt worth the Grind, the stuff isnt that much better, its like having say 200HP's before and now having 205HP's after.

Plus the extortionate Grind they ended up making it, with just a couple of STF's , shows us once more that Cryptic just do not understand things and PW really need to start replacing some of them.

The chance for end game stuff whizzed them by once more.

Archived Post 12-07-2011 01:24 PM

It sounds like the bad out weighs the good with the maco set :( has anyone got and tested the other set ? can't remember what it is called.

Archived Post 12-07-2011 03:22 PM

The thing is that the sets need a balance pass (IMHO), borg, M.A.C.O. and the rest. Even more silly is that the legacy Borg set costs 15 :eek: Encrypted Data Chips total!

For a day's worth of grinding you're getting superior gear to weeks (if not months) of grinding!

FYI the Aegis set only seems to provide a 6.25(ish) bonus now. The description hasn't been updated and still claims 10%.

The Omega Force regenerative shield provides a turn rate and speed boost for 5 seconds when taking damage. The 2 peace set gives you additional tetryon damage with every attack. The three peace set bonus is a Gravimetric Anchor that kills turn their turn rate. (Thanks claydermunch)

I'm currently grinding for it now. If I get some drops for the gear I'll throw up some feedback (if someone else hasn't before I get them all).

Archived Post 12-13-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph.B
The thing is that the sets need a balance pass (IMHO), borg, M.A.C.O. and the rest. Even more silly is that the legacy Borg set costs 15 :eek: Encrypted Data Chips total!

For a day's worth of grinding you're getting superior gear to weeks (if not months) of grinding!

FYI the Aegis set only seems to provide a 6.25(ish) bonus now. The description hasn't been updated and still claims 10%.

The Omega Force regenerative shield provides a turn rate and speed boost for 5 seconds when taking damage. The 2 peace set gives you additional tetryon damage with every attack. The three peace set bonus is a Gravimetric Anchor that slows your target and kills turn their turn rate.

I'm currently grinding for it now. If I get some drops for the gear I'll throw up some feedback (if someone else hasn't before I get them all).

teryon glider does not work and the geaviton anchor only reduces turnrate, not flight speed.

Archived Post 12-14-2011 04:35 AM

Ol' Broken S**t...

Quote:

Originally Posted by claydermunch (Post 3906441)
teryon glider does not work and the geaviton anchor only reduces turnrate, not flight speed.

Corrected, good catch Sir! Confirmed that Tetryon glider is broken. Which is sorely disappointing.

So far in my swapping of space sets I have found the following broken abilities for all set items:
  • Aegis 2 Piece 10% Set Bonus: Grants 6% Total Bonus vs. 10% as described
  • Breen Absolute Zero 2 Piece Set Bonus: This set was changed to add a +30 bonus to Kinetic and 30% Power regeneration. Power Regeneration works as advertised, but Torpedo damage is unaffected.
  • Omega Force 2 Piece Set bonus: Tetryon Glider is non functional.

The Borg Set however seems to be operating just fine however. :rolleyes:

Archived Post 12-19-2011 10:20 AM

The highest bit of damage I was able to do with the Heavy Graviton Beam was 3,154 kinetic damage.

It's pretty underwhelming for something that was grinded really hard for. Shame, because it could have been a fantastic weapon.