Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Duty Officer System and R&D (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=251)
-   -   DOff´s Names in the Exchange (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=244042)

Archived Post 12-09-2011 10:46 AM

DOff´s Names in the Exchange
 
PLEEEAAAASE.... if i´m looking for a certain type of DOff, than i want to search for his profession, and NOT. HIS. NAME. you have to look through the hole list, scrolling and scrolling to find your desired DOff. .... name in the exchange instead of the profession as an sorting is badest usabillity.

OR

Adapt the search or get us filters or what ever....

Archived Post 12-09-2011 11:15 AM

+1
 
I second that. See my thread as well.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=244044

We need a better filtering system for DOFFs.

1) Sort by Department generally.

2) check boxes to narrow down to particular:
A) Department
B) Specialization
C) Traits
D) Quality/Rarity (rarity already in there, so nothing new there)

Just my opinion. These options will make buying & selling DOFFs MUCH easier. I gave up on it yesterday since it was impossible to find anything specific AT ALL. Having to know a specific crewman's name?? REALLY? How in the HELL am I supposed to know every crewman's name in the game?? Stupid, stupid interface decision. Shoehorning DOFFs into Exchange without modifying Exchange to ACCOMMODATE DOFFs and the reasonable search options people would expect is simply bad implementation & needs to be fixed.

Sorry for my strong opinion on the issue. C'est la vie... Love the game. But, some of the interface decisions are rather silly.

Archived Post 12-09-2011 11:28 AM

All of these are known issues that we very, very much want to see happen. Unfortunately, modifying the Exchange to search on these is very non-trivial, and we are not sure when the time will be found to do the overhaul necessary to make this work.

Archived Post 12-09-2011 11:38 AM

I have a solution to this issue. Instead of putting them on the actual exchange and making changes to the way the exchange works, can there not be a new system implemented for only Boffs and Doffs? Something that could be called "Personnel Recruitment" or similar? It could be used as a way to separate personnel from gear and consumables (people aren't things) and therefore open up the possibility to search by trait or power using filters.

Archived Post 12-09-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heretic
All of these are known issues that we very, very much want to see happen. Unfortunately, modifying the Exchange to search on these is very non-trivial, and we are not sure when the time will be found to do the overhaul necessary to make this work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainBaldy
I have a solution to this issue. Instead of putting them on the actual exchange and making changes to the way the exchange works, can there not be a new system implemented for only Boffs and Doffs? Something that could be called "Personnel Recruitment" or similar? ...

On another note: what is the "Request Duty Officers" page in the Duty Officers / Assignments screen for?

It FEELS like this page offers exactly the kind of search / filtering needed. Could that screen double as an interface for the exchange? Or could a similar screen be put into that section? I mean, it feels like that was the intention behind the Request Duty Officers tab what with the filtering options listed there. But so far I can't tell what that tab is ACTUALLY for, since when I filter it nothing comes up. No duty officers anyway either from my list or from the exchange or from Ferrara @ Academy...

It would be nice if that page doubled as a "buy duty officers" page, since the filtering ability seems perfect for it.

Or, hell, for that matter, why not just make Ferrara act like a DOFF Exchange? I mean he's already got department sorting... Maybe just needs two tabs, one for requisition by way of level rewards / dilithium and one for "exchange." Maybe just adding "filters" as listed above (for one or both tabs)?

It may take a little doing. But I certainly think it's "worth doing" and worth doing well/right. :)

Just a few friendly suggestions... I mean, one assumes that filtering algorithms are already available since you can filter your Duty Officers or the "Request Duty Officers" page. It just seems like a matter of applying those options to the exchange or some similar system. But maybe that's oversimplifying things. :rolleyes:

Ohh, and it would be nice on the filtering of 'traits' to have separate options for "and"/"or" ('or' showing all officers with ANY listed trait; 'and' showing only officers with ALL listed traits; one assumes that on AND a maximum of like 4-5 traits would be possible since that would be the max traits an officer COULD have?)...

Archived Post 12-09-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heretic
All of these are known issues that we very, very much want to see happen. Unfortunately, modifying the Exchange to search on these is very non-trivial, and we are not sure when the time will be found to do the overhaul necessary to make this work.

Simple fix: Stop Using The Doffs NAME As It's Header. Use their "Position", ie Chef, Security Officer, etc.
Their name should be second. Just like when you recieve, buy, trade Boffs.

P.S. I know it's not all that simple, but this was a peoblem the moment Doffs became Exchangable, and it was told to you. Instead of a fix, we got "EMH Doffs will go away" and Klingons named "Krap"...

Archived Post 12-09-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar (Post 3898473)
Simple fix: Stop Using The Doffs NAME As It's Header. Use their "Position", ie Chef, Security Officer, etc.
Their name should be second. Just like when you recieve, buy, trade Boffs.

P.S. I know it's not all that simple, but this was a peoblem the moment Doffs became Exchangable, and it was told to you. Instead of a fix, we got "EMH Doffs will go away" and Klingons named "Krap"...

This unfortunately is not as simple to implement with the way the Exchange is coded as one would like. We pushed really hard to find the programming time to make the necessary changes to do this or something similar, but programming resources are in very high demand at the moment.

All of the solutions described above have been proposed, but unfortunately none of them are fast or easy.

Archived Post 12-09-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heretic
This unfortunately is not as simple to implement with the way the Exchange is coded as one would like. We pushed really hard to find the programming time to make the necessary changes to do this or something similar, but programming resources are in very high demand at the moment.

All of the solutions described above have been proposed, but unfortunately none of them are fast or easy.

Totally understand. It's is a foundational error that came from the start of the Doff sytem construcion.

Archived Post 12-09-2011 12:37 PM

Can you trade the DOFFs from the STF EDC you get? Or are they bound?

Archived Post 12-09-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heretic
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar (Post 3898473)
Simple fix: Stop Using The Doffs NAME As It's Header. Use their "Position", ie Chef, Security Officer, etc.
Their name should be second. Just like when you recieve, buy, trade Boffs.

P.S. I know it's not all that simple, but this was a peoblem the moment Doffs became Exchangable, and it was told to you. Instead of a fix, we got "EMH Doffs will go away" and Klingons named "Krap"...

This unfortunately is not as simple to implement with the way the Exchange is coded as one would like. We pushed really hard to find the programming time to make the necessary changes to do this or something similar, but programming resources are in very high demand at the moment.

All of the solutions described above have been proposed, but unfortunately none of them are fast or easy.

Heretic, until the fix is in, is it possible you post a list of all the DOff names and their occupations, say in a spreadsheet, or even a text file? Then we could search that offline for the positions we want and then search the in-game Exchange for that corresponding name?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:29 AM.