Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Should the Galaxy class be merged into one ship with a ton of console options? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=244442)

Archived Post 12-12-2011 03:54 AM

Should the Galaxy class be merged into one ship with a ton of console options?
 
The Galaxy-R is the most useless VA cruiser in the game now. Every other cruiser does a better job at everything. The Galaxy-X is now arguably the very best VA cruiser. It has the combat power and boff stations of an assault cruiser, tanks better than an Excelsior, and it has a free Lt. Cmdr weapon power that makes it an absolute beast in combat if used correctly.

I think this is how the stock Galaxy R should be:

Cmdr. Engineer
Lt Cmdr. Engineer
Lt. Tactical
Lt. Science
Ensign Universal

4 Enginering console slots
3 Tactical console slots
3 Science console slots

Universal Saucer separation console


The Galaxy-X should be removed from the C-store as a ship and replaced with a "universal console pack" for the same or lower Cryptic point price:

"X-Type Equipment" - All universal consoles, as follows:

Phaser lance console: Adds phaser lance ability and cosmetic parts for the phaser lance and third nacelle.

Cloaking device console: Adds cloaking ability and cosmetic parts for the nacelle pylon winglets (call them the cloaking field generators)

Dual Heavy Cannon console: Adds ability to fit dual heavy cannons and cosmetic parts for the cannon mounts on the top of the saucer,


Venture refit should be left as-is.


So, if you had a Galaxy-R with all the universal consoles from the Gal-X and Venture, you'd be down by 5 console slots. Instead of 10 free consoles to play with, you'll only have 5. But, the useless saucer separation console will now become useful; pair it with dual heavy cannons for example.

Archived Post 12-12-2011 05:33 AM

I like the idea overall, but Saucer Separation + DHCs might be too powerful. When the Galaxy-R was introduced, there were a lot of complaints about it being just like an escort, only tankier, but the one thing keeping those from being true is that the Galaxy-R can't mount DHCs. Then again, the Galaxy-R needs some love.

Archived Post 12-12-2011 06:09 PM

Can't say I'd agree but I can appreciate the thought that went into this.

I'd say the Gal-r needs some attention, I'd personally like it to be more science focused (It was designed for exploration after all) perhaps by swapping the Lt Sci station and the Lt Cmdr Engi station around, though my ultimate dream would be to swap the Lt Sci station with the Cmdr Engi station but that may be a step too far.

Make it the Sci/Cruiser Captain's answer to the Excelsior refit.

Archived Post 12-12-2011 06:26 PM

Galaxy R really needs some love. the tactical aspects of this ship compared to a excelsior or star cruiser are poor. This ship despite irs age would still be viewed as a battleship in this timeline.

It could certain do with another weapons console to make 3 the science and engineering are fine as is.

Turn rate needs a tweak

and either 2 lt tactical BOF's or 1 lt command BOF Slot.

The Galaxy should and would still be on the forefront of Federation exploration and would be used as a command ship in fleet engagements.

Don;t overpower her but make her at least on par with the Excelsior

Archived Post 12-12-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Collier
Make it the Sci/Cruiser Captain's answer to the Excelsior refit.

I don't mean to disparage your suggestion, but we already have the Nebula for that.

Archived Post 12-12-2011 06:58 PM

My biggest gripe, and the reason I invested in a Galaxy dreadnought was the simple fact of, why in the **** three engineering stations? Even with the regular Galaxy/Venture or Galaxy-X, the Commander + Lt Commander gives you a combined seven engineering powers (and with a limited pool of actually worthwhile abilities, you only end up running what, five in total?) leaving that poor Ensign as an afterthought. Like it's science counterpart, the Nebula, and as many have stated, making that Ensign slot a universal slot allows you to re-tool your Galaxy-R for whatever you so choose. Tactical BO in it? Assault cruiser with a pet! Science BO in it? Star Whale (cruiser) with a pet!

Honestly, while the saucer separation ability makes it somewhat lucrative, the fact that it taunts me with eight Engineering ability spots makes it rather laughable. May as well roll that Ensign Engineer into the Lt Commander and simply give it two Commander Engineering spots and a total of four BO spots. At least then you could have a bit of an interesting BO ability setup with dual Commanders, and it'd be unique in that it's the only VA ship with two commander stations. ;) Might get a few more Engineers interested with it.

Archived Post 12-12-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destraa (Post 3904424)
My biggest gripe, and the reason I invested in a Galaxy dreadnought was the simple fact of, why in the **** three engineering stations? Even with the regular Galaxy/Venture or Galaxy-X, the Commander + Lt Commander gives you a combined seven engineering powers (and with a limited pool of actually worthwhile abilities, you only end up running what, five in total?) leaving that poor Ensign as an afterthought. Like it's science counterpart, the Nebula, and as many have stated, making that Ensign slot a universal slot allows you to re-tool your Galaxy-R for whatever you so choose. Tactical BO in it? Assault cruiser with a pet! Science BO in it? Star Whale (cruiser) with a pet!

Honestly, while the saucer separation ability makes it somewhat lucrative, the fact that it taunts me with eight Engineering ability spots makes it rather laughable. May as well roll that Ensign Engineer into the Lt Commander and simply give it two Commander Engineering spots and a total of four BO spots. At least then you could have a bit of an interesting BO ability setup with dual Commanders, and it'd be unique in that it's the only VA ship with two commander stations. ;) Might get a few more Engineers interested with it.

Two commander engineers could be fun.

Archived Post 12-12-2011 09:30 PM

The Galaxy is still my favorite Federation ship based on looks with the Sovereign coming a very close second. So making the Galaxy Refit more useful would get me using it more.

Archived Post 12-13-2011 06:30 AM

no, instead i tihnk you should leave my Galaxy X alone.

Archived Post 12-13-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claydermunch (Post 3904999)
no, instead i tihnk you should leave my Galaxy X alone.

Really? What I suggested would not ruin the Galaxy X at all.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:52 AM.