Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Did Chris get a free bug? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=245427)

Archived Post 12-20-2011 12:22 AM

Did Chris get a free bug?

I read in another thread someone said Chris(from STOked) got a free Jem Hadar bug ship. Does anyone know if this is true?

Archived Post 12-20-2011 12:28 AM

Why not ask this guy in that thread?

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=245401

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth_Tauri (Post 3914835)
Confirmed, Chris from STOked received a bug ship, but wont say from who... I'll put good odds that it was JMan himself who dev'd that into his inventory.

You already posted there after all:

Quote:

Originally Posted by James.T.Picard
Arent you the guys that had homophobic jokes in your shows? Maybe they dont want to associate themselves with any podcast they think would offend their players. Cant blame them.

Archived Post 12-20-2011 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asakara
Why not ask this guy in that thread? :

Maybe because the subject of that thread was about something else? Nice try at the mini-modding though.

Archived Post 12-20-2011 01:10 AM

in the most recent episode he mentioned that he got it as a gift from someone.

Archived Post 12-20-2011 01:30 AM

Even if he did get it from the JMan, and remember the JMan was part of the STO team that worked on the Q winter wonderland game event, its not a bad thing. Devs do it all the time to certain friends etc...

Whether its illegal to do so, then thats a Cryptic issue that needs to be address amongst themselves. Most gaming companies turn a blind eye as long as what it is being offered is not a game breaking God mode item.

To answer the OP question, the answer is a resounding YES, as to whom gave him the Jemy, that remains unknown.

Archived Post 12-20-2011 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackV7
Even if he did get it from the JMan, and remember the JMan was part of the STO team that worked on the Q winter wonderland game event, its not a bad thing. Devs do it all the time to certain friends etc...

Whether its illegal to do so, then thats a Cryptic issue that needs to be address amongst themselves. Most gaming companies turn a blind eye as long as what it is being offered is not a game breaking God mode item.

To answer the OP question, the answer is a resounding YES, as to whom gave him the Jemy, that remains unknown.

I doubt there's any way this is illegal. But when I look at the backlash from those grab bags, and the money that some people wasted to try and get those ships, I have to ask; Is it the smartest thing PR wise for Cryptic to be giving out these ships gratis to people who are at minimum perceived to be going easy on them? I would never begrudge any insider from hookinbg themselves up with the coolest stuff from their own game, but to hook up outsiders, when so many have paid so much for just the chance at that ship? If that's the truth, they had better hope it's never confirmed.

Archived Post 12-20-2011 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GenEricII

I doubt there's any way this is illegal. But when I look at the backlash from those grab bags, and the money that some people wasted to try and get those ships, I have to ask; Is it the smartest thing PR wise for Cryptic to be giving out these ships gratis to people who are at minimum perceived to be going easy on them? I would never begrudge any insider from hookinbg themselves up with the coolest stuff from their own game, but to hook up outsiders, when so many have paid so much for just the chance at that ship? If that's the truth, they had better hope it's never confirmed.

I understand, I'm one of those folks that have already spent $75 U.S. Dollars on a total of 6,000cp, which equals to 60 Red Boxes and has yet to get a BUG ship. :(

My point is that it wouldn't surprise me that the JMan hooked his friend up, specifically in relations to STOKED. I do cringed though, if many people from Jupiter Force were given this valued prize. Then I see your point about being up in arms about it, though Chris being rewarded one is still akward, but not surprising.

As far as others being rewarded the Jemy, yeah, thats bad karma big time.

Archived Post 12-20-2011 01:57 AM

I'm not quite sure yet whether this bothers me or not. I'd like to get my hand on a bug ship and I've wasted a bit too much money on the opportunity, for sure.

But then - it is normal for companies to hand out stuff to reviewers and fansites. Especially those with a good standing. There's obviously another issue here with Borticus being a former STOked mod (assuming that's the route the ship took).

But still, they advertised/reviewed the ship on the podcast and got one for free in order to do so. Business as usual. I know communities/teams who got all kinds of stuff for reviewing purposes - DVDs, soundtracks, books, games. You can always cry "foul" because someone is getting something to review for free - and I somewhat relate to that. However, I also think that the bug ship case is nothing too unusual, let alone shady or illegal.

Archived Post 12-20-2011 02:04 AM

If he says its a gift then I dont feel that this is anyone's business personally. Chris is not only a member of a huge fleet, but provides a service to the whole community and is one of the most well known people in and around STO. it only takes one person to feel generous.

Archived Post 12-20-2011 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James.T.Picard
I read in another thread someone said Chris(from STOked) got a free Jem Hadar bug ship. Does anyone know if this is true?

Most likely. What about it?