Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Cannons in cruisers... (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=246514)

Archived Post 01-01-2012 11:40 PM

Cannons in cruisers...

A player who's been away for awhile...I remember when I left thinking the best weapon loadout for DPS was DBBs up front, turrets in back...and, I guess that might still be true? I remember there was a lot of talk about beam boats...but, that seems to have disappeared on my return. And, when I broke my KDF toon's Kar'Fi out mothballs, I found myself loading regular cannons (the single kind, not dual) up front and loving it...and, when I pushed my FED toon up to VA and set him in his boat, thinking, wait, why not my (excelsior) cruiser as well?

Okay. SO. Cannons need to be within 5km to do their optimal damage...well hell. You end up there quick enough anyways, and of course 180 arc trumps 90 for ease of maintaining...but. Those aside. Actual damage. DBBs would put out more than cannons...but. You could spec cannon skills on your tac BO and be boosting all your weapons as opposed to only being able to bump up half of them...so, the question is, would that be enough to cut through the damage difference in the actual loadouts themselves? 2 copies of spray and pray (CSV) seem downright devious and attention getting (which I like as an ENG mostly tankish guy) in the little bit of PvE I do...

Weigh in for me?
~Regards

Archived Post 01-02-2012 12:51 AM

why not go all beams and spam faw combined with pattern beta until your eyes fall out?

Archived Post 01-02-2012 03:08 AM

Single Cannons + Turrets is superior in terms of damage on an Excelsior. One skill you absolutely MUST have with it though is Directed Energy Modulation. This skill is only very accessible on Cruisers and only USEFUL with Turrets and Cannons. Mix it with Scatter Volley or Rapid Fire and you can do some meeeeaaaan things. Also never forget the usefulness of Eject Warp Plasma.

Archived Post 02-17-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinkuu_Akagan
Single Cannons + Turrets is superior in terms of damage on an Excelsior. One skill you absolutely MUST have with it though is Directed Energy Modulation. This skill is only very accessible on Cruisers and only USEFUL with Turrets and Cannons. Mix it with Scatter Volley or Rapid Fire and you can do some meeeeaaaan things. Also never forget the usefulness of Eject Warp Plasma.

And here I thought DEM was only for beams. I'll have to try that out, thanks!

Archived Post 02-19-2012 01:00 AM

Well, according to any material available, DEM works for all energy weapons, full stop.

I have experimented with Cannons front and Beam Arrays aft in the past, but while it does to more dps (especially in the small arc of a broadside), it looks very un-trek for me, so I went back to phaser beams and photon torpedoes.

The one thing to consider when planning your armament is: What are the missions the ship will have to do with it? Do you want a one-trick pony, or are you planning to do a lot of different missions with that armament?