Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   'Star Trek: Of Gods and Men' movie (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=246881)

Archived Post 01-05-2012 11:01 AM

'Star Trek: Of Gods and Men' movie

I read about it being broadcast on this website http://westhollywood.patch.com/articles/rarely-seen-star-trek-film-to-stream-on-web on Jan. 9 2012.

Has anybody seen this movie? Is it any good?

Archived Post 01-05-2012 11:04 AM

I've seen it. to me it looks like a well made fan movie. Considering that most of the roles are filled with Star Trek Alumn was an accomplishment in itself, the Plot seemed a little thin (to me at least) But I found it was overall pretty good.

Archived Post 01-06-2012 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConcreteDragon (Post 3933395)
I read about it being broadcast on this website http://westhollywood.patch.com/articles/rarely-seen-star-trek-film-to-stream-on-web on Jan. 9 2012.

Has anybody seen this movie? Is it any good?

Very very good for a fan made movie. Walter Koenig did an excellent job acting his role as Kittrick, J. G. Hertzler (Who played Martok in DS9) potrayed his Klingon role very well. The writing was a little rough, but not enough to deter from that Star Trek feel. Chase Masterson played Xela, of course a sexy Orion (She did well)

Tim Russ and Nichelle Nichols did an exceptional job in portraying their roles. I do believe Tim Russ (Tuvok) directed this fan made film.

Weaker actors were:

Alan Ruck as his recurring Star Trek role (Captain John Harriman)

Garrett W@ng as Commander Garan

My only gripe was that the actors who played Charlie X and Gary Mitchell were NOT the original actors who previously played those roles.

I just wish they used the original actors.

But the movies has action, story, and suspense (The writing is a little rough but still, very nice.)

Archived Post 01-08-2012 03:03 PM

The story itself is very good and Trek-worthy...but man was it beyind cheesy and I couldn't take it serious after the first minute.

Archived Post 01-08-2012 05:19 PM

I liked it. Considering the quality of Fan movies out there it was decent. The use of ships from both soft cannon and TOS episodes was nice.

It may be cheesy but it has enough actors from Trek (and one from BG), to make it worth while, not to mention it's way better than any Machinima posted on this sight....:rolleyes:

There is a lot worse out there to watch.

Archived Post 01-08-2012 06:18 PM

Yeah its been out for quite a long time now they finished it years ago before the JJ Prize movie ever came out. Which is pretty safe to assume is where he stole the idea from for his movie and changed it around a little bit for his own tastes. Pretty much the plot is the same thing in both movies except the difference is the guardian was used instead of the explosion of romulus but other than that its pretty much the same movie.

Archived Post 01-09-2012 01:30 AM

I still wonder, how is it that this fan movie can get all these big Star Trek names but Cryptic can't get much more than Holo Leeta and the tutorial.

Archived Post 01-09-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildTheng
I still wonder, how is it that this fan movie can get all these big Star Trek names but Cryptic can't get much more than Holo Leeta and the tutorial.

Some of the more enthusiastic stars have agreed to waive their normal payments to do non-profit appearances that either aren't their original roles or fall under fair use. None of them have agreed to waive payment to do a for-profit appearance. And their payments range from high to staggeringly high.

Archived Post 01-09-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildTheng

The producers of STOGAM busted their butts and their OWN wallets to make this happen. Many of them knew the actors and made personal pleas to them to participate. Every single one of the actors participated in it because - believe it or not - they're HUGE Trek fans. They wanted to participate.

It's not easy to make ANY film in today's day and age. The cost of the film, editing, development and DISTRIBUTION is outrageous. And these people GIVE THE MOVIE away so they don't end up in hot water from CBS.

That's the passion of fan-made films. If you want to make something big, expect to put up a 2nd mortgage on your house and KNOW that you CAN'T make one red cent off of it.

I've had the good fortune to meet and interview almost everyone involved with STOGAM, including many of the actors, producers and others from Renegade - and the producer told me the gentleman who originally played Charlie X WAS approached, but not available to play the part.

Chase Masterson has wonderful stories about having to paint herself green, and that the warehouse where the TOS set was built (which is also owned by James Cawley - Phase II's mastermind) was well over 100 degrees at night when they filmed. Walter Koenig is very proud of his participation in STOGAM and talked at length about it.

It as finished several years ago - it is NOT that hard to see, as intimated by that radio site - it has ALWAYS been easy to see and get directly from the their site: http://startrekofgodsandmen.com/main/

Archived Post 01-09-2012 10:46 AM

I've seen it, and I really liked it. It was nice to see even j ust a few of the old gang back together.

Look at the Talent Pool here, I didn't loomk this up, but going from memory:

Walter Koenig (Checkov TOS), Nichelle Nichols (Uhura TOS), Grace Lee Whitney (Rand TOS), Tim Russ (Tuvok VOY) ,Garrett **** (Harry Kim VOY), Ethan Phillips (Neelix VOY) Alan Ruck (Harriman Generations), JG Hertzler (Martok DS9), Chase Masterson (Leeta DS9), Cirroc Lofton (Jake DS9), Gary Graham (Soval ENT this one I did look up, I never knew his name), Herbert Jefferson (The REAL Boomer from BSG), I THINK That about covers everyone.

Of course, they used the Phase II set for the ship, which has to be a bit of an honor Cawley and his crew, plus most of them ended up in the movie here and there. (fun fact, they also used the set on the Enterprise Mirror episodes).

STOGAM had tons going for it, and it was a fun ride.

EDIT: Poor Harry Kim... fame cut short by STO's profanity filter ;)