Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Loss of 'will' to spend money here... (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=247294)

Archived Post 01-07-2012 10:41 AM

Loss of 'will' to spend money here...

It may be my fault, or pure frustration of having to do yet again ANOTHER respec... I messed up and missed an important tree selection. I did something similar before, and purchased a respec after the last forced retrain. So I asked customer support if they would refund the token or the 400 cp I spent on the token. Since my purchase was basically voided in just two weeks. They told me that I didn't qualify for the token... I honestly don't think they even read what I was asking. But this alone, and the annoying double release really questions the future of me spending money here. I've already took money I planned to spend here and put it into league of legends. That's money STO could of had... Infact, I've not played since that response. I've just only updated and redone my skills and thats about it...

Archived Post 01-07-2012 10:53 AM

it probably would have been nice to give an extra free respec to cover mistakes.

dumping all your points in one go (especially as the accept button is greyed out until the end) is a pain unlike adding them slowly as you go. people will make mistakes through not knowing the new tree or just making an error.

I think everyone should get a free respec (a proper one, not a forced respec) in the next week or two just to help cover people who messed up.

Archived Post 01-07-2012 11:05 AM

You can save yourself a lot of hassle and test your builds on tribble. Thats what I do, and if something happens that I dont like or i dont have the points in the right place, delete the toon and recopy it back over from holodeck.

Once you are happy, respec over on holodeck to be permanent :D

Archived Post 01-07-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
it probably would have been nice to give an extra free respec to cover mistakes.

dumping all your points in one go (especially as the accept button is greyed out until the end) is a pain unlike adding them slowly as you go. people will make mistakes through not knowing the new tree or just making an error.

I think everyone should get a free respec (a proper one, not a forced respec) in the next week or two just to help cover people who messed up.

Didn't we gain a free respec at the same time as the forced respec? My main character had no respec tokens left yet I have one available on Holodeck so it had to have come from the forced respec as I haven't purchased a token since before December.

Archived Post 01-07-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SatansHell (Post 3937328)
You can save yourself a lot of hassle and test your builds on tribble. Thats what I do, and if something happens that I dont like or i dont have the points in the right place, delete the toon and recopy it back over from holodeck.

Once you are happy, respec over on holodeck to be permanent :D

There is nothing about what you've just described that is *not* an unnecessary hassle to avoid a problem imposed by significant changes to essential game mechanics. When something of this magnitude takes place each character should receive unlimited free respecs for 48 hours following their first login after the change goes live.

There is no alternative except to blow respecs that you were awarded to be used in the course of normal gameplay or to shovel more money into the C-Store furnace. Not receiving *at least* one free respec token is just another slap in the face of paying customers.

Archived Post 01-07-2012 11:42 AM

What I find most outrageous of all is that you can no longer respec without tokens.
You cannot "earn" a respec on the side of grinding missions and dailies for new ships and equipment.
If you don't want to pay then you MUST draw from the same currency pool that you use to buy ships and equipment.

Honestly there is absolutely no valid reason why Merits/Honor was removed, because the system was working just fine before.

And what is really insulting is that those of us who have stockpiled enough Merits for 3-4 respecs, did not even recieve enough dilithium to trade C-Points for even just ONE respec after the conversion. :mad:

Archived Post 01-07-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexraptor (Post 3937368)
Honestly there is absolutely no valid reason why Merits/Honor was removed, because the system was working just fine before.

The reason was to further nickel and dime the customer to death even if they are already paying money and regularly buying C-Points.

Archived Post 01-07-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

What I find most outrageous of all is that you can no longer respec without tokens.
You cannot "earn" a respec on the side of grinding missions and dailies for new ships and equipment.
If you don't want to pay then you MUST draw from the same currency pool that you use to buy ships and equipment.

And what is really insulting is that those of us who have stockpiled enough Merits for 3-4 respecs, did not even recieve enough dilithium to trade C-Points for even just ONE respec after the conversion. :mad:

.... Their F2P Conversion process has just about killed off what little bit of Good Will that many(including myself) had left for the game (even with the new missions drought).

I got a $50.00 bonus in may paycheck this past week...,

As a Fan-atical Trekker..., a year ago I would have probably spent 95% of it here...,

I went out and bought TOR, yesterday morning. (and had fun playing it for almost 10 hours)

I feel very guilty today... :(

Archived Post 01-07-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

How about in further establishing the dilithium to CP economy which will be part of the game's only revenue. I agree that it does suck, but if people don't have to engage in that economy then revenues will fall.

The process of converting dilithium (after perhaps gathering it) or having to spend real cash is far to unwieldy, imo, for what should be a very simple and quick feature.

The retrain window after a major change is a good idea, but I am sure there will be people complaining after the 48 hours is up about how unfair it was that they missed out. I try to evaluate all the skill options before spending anything. Then I try different builds before committing.

Things are easier if your leveling up as you will get a free retrain if you suddenly find you went into something that doesn't suit you of course.

As for different builds for different reasons - well, the whole point of these changes was to consolidate common skills and make it easier for people to switch ships and play-styles without their skill-sets bearing no interchangeability.

I would still like a dualspec system though, but that might complicate the rank up tokens too much.

Archived Post 01-07-2012 12:03 PM

A 48 hour free unlimited respec timer should be applied to each individual character that starts only after that *individual* character has been logged into. No one would be able to complain that they missed their opportunity with a character.