DS9 - resource thread
DS9 resource thread for the Dev's:
from Ex Astris Scientia:
- Galleries - Other Rooms - Deep Space Nine (scroll down a bit, lots of good interior schematics)
- Terok Nor / Deep Space Nine (scroll down a bit, exterior pics)
- DS9 Ops Situation Table Happy Snaps
- OPS ds9′s Operations Center
- DS9 Infirmary Happy Snaps Bashirs Desk
- SOTL Spacer\Coaster 03 On Stage
- DS9 Tech Manual 05 Station Docks and Airlocks
- DS9 Tech Manual 03 Weaponry
from Memory Alpha:
- Deep Space Nine
- Deep Space 9 levels
- Promenade (oh hey look they even mention Star Trek Online in there!)
from Memory Beta (non-canon wiki):
- Deep Space Nine
Stage-Floor Plans (source: http://pat.suwalski.net/film/st-stages/ ):
- Promenade First Floor Plan (Stage 17)
- Air Lock / Cargobay / OPS / Dockingring (Stage 4)
Article: Designing Deep Space Nine (some concept art + a floor plan picture)
DS9 FLASH LCARS Panels (fanmade): http://www.lcars.org.uk/lcars_DS9_panels.htm
*everyone feel free to add more
Couple of big comments that would be simple fixes, all told.
DS9 space is generally black facing the wormhole and the Denarios Belt looks like a purple mebula from the opposite direction. The current brown nebula all around has been controversial The shows have been somewhat inconsistent but any cloud effect around should probably be lighter, more confined to one side, and purple.
Also, the interior and exterior seem to have a golden bronze light effect. It may be the film quality but there's also something of a soft glow with heightened bloom inside the station, particularly in the Promednade and double so in Quark's. I'd almost venture to say that creation of an SFX volume object would be ideal... and great for the Foundry if developed that way.
Also, this is just my opinion, but the big issues people have with DS9 are:
- The jarring new areas where the exchange and the shipyard are.
- The lack of infirmary/security office.
- In general, the shallowness of the shops. There's room for improvisation there, within a certain style, but they feel like kiosks right now when they traditionally felt more like the size of a small shopping mall store. The tailor is one of the better ones but still feels small and a bit overly visible compared to Garak's tailor shop. The station is traditionally brimming with stuff like the Klingon restaurant (which would be a great addition).
- Most people would really like Quark's to be deinstanced.
- I can see keeping it instanced IF you added areas to the holosuites and you could, say, walk out into the baseball stadium. At the very least, Vic's Lounge should be running... and unlike traditional holodeck programs, there was a deal made in an episode that the program would never be shut off for any reason. All in all, I don't think it's a difficult atmosphere to capture since it's all curtains, a sign, a curved, marble bar, and a 20th century "Exit" sign.
And they did have some jazz music licensed for STO that they tried to hook up for the Q event that could work... and from there, you just need to load it up with people wearing the formal suits and party dresses they made for STO (that, curiously, no NPCs have ever worn any variation of outside the Foundry).
Curtains, two signs, marblized bar, scattered booz, music, lights, epic win. It's a very memorable locale from DS9.
vics bar would be a cool holodeck addition
Again, Levi on a roll.
DS9 exterior space should be mainly black.
Interior Security ship is a must.
Infirmary could be where the CMO is stationed.
Perhaps one of the myriad other locations for the engineering repairs guy since the current ship area and bank area are both very non-canon.
If these areas could be assigned to a stretch of space in one of the rings and just loop around the outer edge of the promenade with connecting hallways where the current entrances are. However instead of forcing me to run backwards an around again just allow me to run a connecting hallway.
On the show, I remember DS9 always had a very bright, white side light, coming from . . . a star? maybe? But I don't remember them every showing a nearby star?
I know it used to be next to Bajor, but they dragged it off a ways to be near the wormhole, would lighting still be coming from Barjor's sun?
well considering u can see the sun from pluto i'd say yes
I think some of these things, you'd do better to look at articles on how they illuminated the models than "in-world" explanations. The look doesn't make sense but deviating from it at this point makes youlook off, even if you're the realistic one.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:54 AM.|