Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   Pando? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=248708)

Archived Post 01-17-2012 11:14 AM

Pando?

Is Pando the be all and end all for downloading the game, now and in the future? I suspect my university internet service may be blocking it because it thinks it's a normal P2P, which they have a blanket block on, meaning I can't download the game.

Archived Post 01-17-2012 11:33 AM

Im trying this

http://files.startrekonline.com/inst...line_setup.exe

I have managed to install the launcher, and update it. now im downloading 6274MB..
No guarantee it will work, but im giving it a try just to avoid Pando

Archived Post 01-17-2012 11:35 AM

If you are on a University or Work connection, it may not always be a good idea. There is that study and work thing :p

If the direct link works, great but it may not if too many people hit it.

Pando can come back later sometimes during updates.

Archived Post 01-18-2012 06:54 AM

Please don't tell me you guys are going to forcibly install pando for future updates.
I've threatened to sue pando networks as their bloatware ate my bandwidth like a chew toy
causing my ISP to temporarily throttle and notify me that I may be infected with a virus (turned out
to be PMB. It's a good thing I found it as they were ready to drop me completely if I didn't figure out what was going on. It ate 280GB of bandwidth in two weeks).

I'm going out of my way to avoid it. I found my own install cd from when I originally bought the game
last year, and am installing using that.

If it "comes back" in an update without my explicit permission you can be sure PWE will hear from me in not friendly terms (It's very illegal to install unauthorized software on someone elses computer).

PMB is bloatware pure and simple and companies really should stop using it.

At the very least a second download/update option (that doesn't use PMB) should be given.

Archived Post 01-18-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthpanda16 (Post 3953575)
Pando can come back later sometimes during updates.

Uhm, no it canīt because if it has to then there will be no need for updates anymore. :mad:

I too tolerate this software just briefly for client installs.
I stay away from torrents thanks to lawyers only too eager to harass people seemingly by random. Also ISPīs tend to flag customers using this stuff.

Archived Post 01-18-2012 08:28 AM

It is lower cost for companies to distribute their gigabytes of games via Pando networks instead of directly. Pando can also handle a much larger demand and simultaneous downloads. When you have most players on free to play games, that are playing for free, the bandwidth does cost money.

Example from a company's point of view: Would you rather pay 12 cents a gigabyte for your program being downloaded, or 3 cents (I don't know the exact costs, but it is a big difference) ? If each game is 2-5GB each, and you have millions of people downloading it, it adds up.

You can uninstall Pando in Windows control panel and not have to worry with it anymore until a next major update. Computer users should always be aware of the programs running on their systems, hence why Task Manager and Hijackthis are great resources. It is ultimately up to the end user to be proactive and responsibly take care of their property. No one else can make someone take care of one's own hardware.

I understand your frustration from a player AND tech support perspective. From a business and bandwidth perspective, I understand the reasoning for choosing Pando.

Archived Post 01-18-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthpanda16 (Post 3955415)
It is lower cost for companies to distribute their gigabytes of games via Pando networks instead of directly. Pando can also handle a much larger demand and simultaneous downloads. When you have most players on free to play games, that are playing for free, the bandwidth does cost money.

Example from a company's point of view: Would you rather pay 12 cents a gigabyte for your program being downloaded, or 3 cents (I don't know the exact costs, but it is a big difference) ? If each game is 2-5GB each, and you have millions of people downloading it, it adds up.

You can uninstall Pando in Windows control panel and not have to worry with it anymore until a next major update. Computer users should always be aware of the programs running on their systems, hence why Task Manager and Hijackthis are great resources. It is ultimately up to the end user to be proactive and responsibly take care of their property. No one else can make someone take care of one's own hardware.

I understand your frustration from a player AND tech support perspective. From a business and bandwidth perspective, I understand the reasoning for choosing Pando.

Pando has been universally labeled as bad a panda. Lotro users complained and in the end Codemasters hosted a Torrent.

why pay pando a fee when all u need is to smasha torrent up and it will take care of itself ?

companys need to learn to see easier solutions than going to the next crap to the other crap.

torrent for the win.

Archived Post 01-18-2012 08:48 AM

I am working on pushing for a torrent download as well, like our other PWE games have so users have at least those two choices.

I can't magically make things happen, but I can make noise ;)

Archived Post 01-18-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthpanda16 (Post 3955459)
I am working on pushing for a torrent download as well, like our other PWE games have so users have at least those two choices.

I can't magically make things happen, but I can make noise ;)

Yep, he can. Usually does too--I'm familar with Darth's work from other PWE games.

Archived Post 01-18-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthpanda16 (Post 3955415)

While the above is all true, it is still against the law to install unauthorized software on any computer system without explicit consent of the owner (thankfully the initial installer noted that PMB was required and that clicking download was tantamount to explicit consent--for that download). I backed out as soon as I saw
PMB, and went and got my install cd from last year.

If an update ever does install PMB on my system without notifying me and allowing me to stop immediately I will have to contact my state attorney general and a lawyer.

I'm very hostile towards PMB (if you can't tell,lol). A lot of less reputable games didn't used to even make note that PMB was being installed alongside their game downloads (they've always added notification after correspondence with me and others concerned about unauthorized software installations).

I understand from the business side why they would use PMB, I don't understand why they wouldn't also release a torrent of their own. Either way, businesses have to act inside the bounds of the law.

TLDR: Always notify users that the bloatware known as PMB is being installed AND give them an option to back out, even if it means not updating the game/continuing to play. (Some companies have tried in the past to "sneak install" PMB.)