Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   peregrine fighter (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=248783)

Archived Post 01-17-2012 05:06 PM

peregrine fighter

I just came back and was trying to get reaquainted with STO.
I noticed I received a token for the capteins Yacht.
What do you do with it? How do you like it?
Also noticed a Peregrine fighter, how is that. Can you take it along with your main ship? Are is it just a seperate ship choice? Is it worth buying?
Sooo many changes and updates
but i guess this is good:)
Thank You

Archived Post 01-17-2012 06:53 PM

The Captain's Yact, Peregrime Fighter, and Delta Flyer are shuttles like the Danube-class runabout that's always been in the game. There's also the Tal'kyr that comes for free with the Vulcan ship, the Type-8 which you get for free when you do the mission The Vault in the Romulan front, and the Class-F which is part of the TOS bundle.

They're basically very limited ships with two forward weapon slots, ensign only bridge slots (usually only 1, but a the Delta and Tal'kyr have two), and usually a built in power.

These are flyable ships, currently only used in the Romulan front mission The Vault, though if the pattern continues future feature episodes will likely include shuttle missions.

Unlike most ships, you can switch to shuttles without going back to starbase. Go to your bridge, and take the turbolift to the engineering deck. In the transporter room, an NPC will let you switch to any shuttle in your ship list. When you're done with the shuttle, you can go to its "bridge" and one of your boffs will be there to let you switch back to your main ship.

Archived Post 01-17-2012 09:18 PM

Thanks Hevach,
It would have been nice if we could have had one of our BOFF's man the shuttles for us to tag along and help...
Oh well, The yact is free so ill check it out and have fun with it. Thanks again Hevach for the input. Thats what i needed to know.

Archived Post 01-18-2012 02:28 AM

They aren't as limited as people think. I've taken shuttles all the way up to VA. It takes about 5 times as long as getting a new ship each rank, but it's totally doable and a lot of fun up to about mid-commander or captain rank. Then it becomes a grind, but it does present a challenge (unlike most of the game).

Speed is key. It really is your only defense. Most shuttles only have 1 or maybe 2 BOff stations, so you'll either want to have shield regeneration or hull repair. I'd recommend hull repair since it takes far longer for your crew to repair your hull when out of combat.
Use regenerative shields. Your turn rate in a shuttle is far greater than any other ship in the game, which means you can easily turn to get your shield facing your enemy. When your shields go down, get out of weapon range and kick your power into shields until they're back to full power, which won't take long if you're using regen shields.

Pick up a shuttle and give it a whirl. They're a lot of fun to play, even if they are limited.

Archived Post 01-18-2012 06:24 AM

i will, thank you Jarnin. Sounds fun.