Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Galactic News Network (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Scheduled Maintenance (January 20, 2012) (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=249309)

Archived Post 01-19-2012 09:25 PM

Scheduled Maintenance (January 20, 2012)

We will be bringing down the shard for a restart on Friday, January 20th from 8:00AM to 9:00AM PST (1600 to 1700 UTC). We will provide an update when this is complete.

Archived Post 01-19-2012 09:29 PM

YAY!!! Daily Maimtenance!!!

Will we get Dilithium for completing the Maintance Daily mission now?

Archived Post 01-19-2012 09:36 PM

Somebody's taking the micky now! :confused: STO seems to need more maintenance than a 50 year old car

Archived Post 01-19-2012 09:49 PM

It appears cryptic can't even keep its basic server architecture together. clearly somebody wasn't doing their job and actually planning and testing for issues that would end up showing up when free to play hit

good example of why I have zero faith cryptic anymore. you don't see these kinds of problems from professional mmo developers. why? because they work this stuff out beforehand

2 emergency maintenances in less than 2 days is unacceptable

Archived Post 01-19-2012 10:01 PM

It definately needs it i either get bad lag every 10 seconds or get disconnected every minute now... its been gradually getting worse I'd recommend taking it down right now and fixing it to avoid the much needed maintenance.

Archived Post 01-19-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhodes85 (Post 3959315)
It appears cryptic can't even keep its basic server architecture together. clearly somebody wasn't doing their job and actually planning and testing for issues that would end up showing up when free to play hit

Know how I know you've never worked in network engineering or data center engineering?

The next time engineers perfectly predict what traffic loads will be and what issues will arise -- without any hard data about the number of users that will come on board -- will be the first time engineers perfectly predict what traffic loads will be and what issues will arise.

Archived Post 01-19-2012 10:16 PM

Lesson learned long ago in EQ1 - patch (and maintenance) happens.

Archived Post 01-19-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Know how I know you've never worked in network engineering or data center engineering?
really? thats funny, last time I checked I have a degree in it.

Quote:

The next time engineers perfectly predict what traffic loads will be and what issues will arise -- without any hard data about the number of users that will come on board -- will be the first time engineers perfectly predict what traffic loads will be and what issues will arise.
oh really now? REALLY?

it may come as some surprise to you then that internal testing is supposed to be done beforehand. particularly capacity testing, latency testing and testing to see if the hardware you're using in itself is up to the task of handling the general load you are expecting it to have. have you not heard of logical estimates? when you've got a system setup like cryptic has it shouldn't be that hard to get a general idea of its capacity or its limitations. there were considerable problems with lag, timeouts and all that unpleasant stuff long before now - going back to beta. so you can't tell me they had no idea what they were getting into.

the current situation is very strong evidence that cryptic was not ready, in terms of its infrastructure and hardware to open the floodgates. they were having enough problems with it before. it would have been far better to delay the transition and set themselves up properly to handle it. as it stands, this is just another indication of poor judgement on cryptics part. they dropped the ball

Archived Post 01-19-2012 10:20 PM

Could be worse, Champions Online is going through an emergency maintenance right now.

Archived Post 01-19-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhodes85 (Post 3959336)
really? thats funny, last time I checked I have a degree in it.

That doesn't invalidate my remark. Have you actually worked in the field? Degrees mean nothing without real world experience.
Quote:

oh really now? REALLY?

it may come as some surprise to you then that internal testing is supposed to be done beforehand. particularly capacity testing, latency testing and testing to see if the hardware you're using in itself is up to the task of handling the general load you are expecting it to have. have you not heard of logical estimates? when you've got a system setup like cryptic has it shouldn't be that hard to get a general idea of its capacity or its limitations. there were considerable problems with lag, timeouts and all that unpleasant stuff long before now - going back to beta. so you can't tell me they had no idea what they were getting into.
First of all, you can do all the traffic simulations, etc. you like; it's no substitute for actual traffic/usage.

Second, there is NO way to accurately predict the number of F2P subs. There just isn't. Best any engineer can do is SWAG it.

Third, the assertion that STO has had "considerable" problems with lag, timeouts, etc. since beta is based on...what? Your experience? Google "anecdotal evidence." Based on a number of forum posts? Again, Google "anecdotal evidence."

I virtually never have lag or connectivity issues. There have been a few isolated incidents, but nothing like you describe. Of course, that's anecdotal evidence too.
Quote:

the current situation is very strong evidence that cryptic was not ready, in terms of its infrastructure and hardware to open the floodgates. they were having enough problems with it before. it would have been far better to delay the transition and set themselves up properly to handle it. as it stands, this is just another indication of poor judgement on cryptics part. they dropped the ball
If you want to believe that, you can, but all you really have is a couple of emergency maintenance episodes and the fact that they've been doing daily early morning updates. You could be right, or you could be way off base. You don't actually know WHAT the issues have been.

But I suppose that doesn't fit your narrative.