Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   STO Sticking on launch, and causing BSOD. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=249468)

Archived Post 01-20-2012 07:10 PM

STO Sticking on launch, and causing BSOD.

First off! I'd like to make it absolutely clear that this was never a problem prior to the patch on 1/20/2012. I only saw one BSOD (Blue Screen of Death, Windows error) before the 1/20/12 patch, which was caused by a stuck loading screen in game prior. After that and until the new patch I never had a loading screen stick again.

So I log in to my account, the game patches like normal, nothing out of the ordinary. Click Engage, game starts, Cryptic splash screen shows up, loading bar starts. Then early in to the load it just Hangs on loading. Had to hard restart, not a happy camper about that.

Anyways tried it again. Game stuck on launch again. So I managed to get it shut down and rebooted the pc. This next time I started it with the safe mode launch option, and the game loaded! Great I thought, this seems to have done the trick. But when I quit the game it didn't leave memory, and I got a BSOD shortly after. Started the game with out the safe mode launch option. It hung on the load, I killed the task and it stuck in the memory causing another BSOD.

I never before the last patch had this issue with the game. The game ran perfectly fine before the latest patch on 1/20/12, the only issue I had were server disconnects due to wireless resets, which are to be expected when the router renews me. The BSOD error only happens with STO, since the patch, and when it won't unload game client from the processes.

So if anyone in the community has any suggestions that could help with this I'd much appreciate it. I submitted a support ticket, but i know that support people are busy so if I can solve this with out their help it'd be nice. I'm running an older computer with an on-board ATi GPU. It's worked totally fine up until now, low graphics, but good frame rates, and no crashes, except one which sorted it self out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

On a final note: I'd be willing to reinstall the game, but I'm saving it as a last resort. I might not want to return if I have to reinstall the game. It's a hassle I'd rather not deal with if I can avoid it. So please, any input?

Archived Post 01-21-2012 07:03 AM

please post a dxdiag report on your system so we can see what you have.

if you are using a card or driver that is not supported , it is possible that well it may have worked prior, there is always a change a future patch will add something that the card can no longer work with.
(since they develop to the minium supported card)

Minimum System Requirements

CPU:2.5GHz Single Core or 1.8GHz Dual Core
Memory:1GB RAM
Video:NVIDIA GeForce 7600 / ATI Radeon X700 / Intel GMA 4
Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible Soundcard
DirectX:Version 9.0c or Higher
HDD:5GB Free Disk Space
Network:Broadband Required
Disc:6X DVD-ROM

Archived Post 01-21-2012 11:58 AM

The issue is that it DOES work, just fine, if I boot it up with the safe mode command for the game. Then when I close it after running it that way it BSODs on me. Something is wrong that has nothing to do with graphics. At least not directly.

It's sticking in the memory, and getting stuck on a start up with out the safe mode command. This has nothing to do with graphics, the graphics still work fine. I want to get around the issue of it getting stuck when not using the safe mode command. I also want to get around the issue of it not purging from memory.

To make it clear the game is sticking with out it's safe mode option, and with it it sticks on closing rather than start up. It closes, but it stays in memory, even when I end the process.

I'm thinking it's either a bug in the way it stacks memory, or I have a corrupted file. Because when it runs (with the safe mode option) it gives no problem. When a loading screen sticks it's only the start up loading screen. When it loads (with the safe mode option checked) it doesn't stick on any other loading screen.

Just because BSOD can be caused by video issues doesn't mean those are the only things that can cause it to happen.

This only happens when the game won't unload out of memory, and gameclient.exe gets stuck in processes and won't go away.

So I'm thinking my only recourse is a reinstall.

Archived Post 02-05-2012 10:29 AM

I am having a very similar issue. I just recently upgraded my video card, I load the game normally, at the loading screen after the cryptic loading screen gets locked up, it never loads the game. I have to cntrl+alt+del to shut it down.

However, if I start it up in safe mode, I make it safely to the character select, even successfully logging into the game itself. I can then update my options to fit in full screen mode and optimal quality graphics--and it looks beutiful. Looks like I can play normally. I emphasize that my graphics card is working fine, at this point. Max graphics = very awesome to look at.

So -why- do have I need to start up in safe mode, then change my settings for optimal performance in order for it to work properly?