Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Galactic News Network (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Regarding Server Restarts (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=249855)

Archived Post 01-23-2012 11:17 AM

Regarding Server Restarts

Hi Captains,

As most of you have noticed, we have been posting scheduled maintenance notices a little more frequently lately. While some of thse have included patches, a majority of them have been server restarts.

I wanted to take the time to reiterate a forum post that was made by Rehpic, Star Trek Online's Lead Programmer:
Quote:

It is the number one goal for the programming team right now to stop doing daily restarts. We have people working nights and weekends(myself included) until this gets fixed. It requires some restructuring of the code in our database that handles saving of character updates to disk, so needless to say we are being careful and testing thoroughly. We are pushing updates to Tribble once or twice a day and running artificial load tests internally.

I'm not going to make a promise for when exactly it will be, but I wanted to let you know that we are taking it seriously and are making good progress toward reducing the number of required restarts.
Again, we truly appreciate your patience and understanding -- the team is working extremely hard to resolve this.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Archived Post 01-23-2012 11:24 AM

Hi Branflakes

Archived Post 01-23-2012 11:26 AM

I know at one point you implied there might be a possibility of using alternate times lots when the servers were under heavy maintenance so the same users weren't hit each day. Any further thoughts on that?

Archived Post 01-23-2012 11:38 AM

Go from a unix server to vista os.
Just install that baby right over it and that should resolve all your issues pretty quick.

Archived Post 01-23-2012 11:52 AM

Thank you for keeping us updated BranFlakes!

I also appreciate that you alternate between 7:00 and 8:00 so that some of us are able to get our morning DOFF missions in a few mornings.

I personally donít mind if you alternate to another time zone if they are only a couple of hours downtime. I am sure others will complain but with plenty of warning (like you have been giving) we could always go and get some fresh air.

Hope you are able to stabilize it soon so that you are not forced to work overtime and extended hours.

Archived Post 01-23-2012 11:52 AM

Yeah I noticed with these latest patches my brel EBC mode i had been using for a month and a half got a severe nerf to it. As well as invisible torpedos from no where in all the STF's hitting it with no enemies engaged or near it. I just hope it doesn't take 1-2 years for brel to get fixed *Again* after being usable for almost 2 months. Another thing someone mentioned is that they may have had their stealth sight increased and this is a by product of the borg doing things they should not be.

Archived Post 01-23-2012 12:23 PM

I don't mind the restart's they are really for a valid reason, but for the love of your favourite deity... spread the shutdown love a bit.. 8am EST/5am PST would be much better, as Europe is not just getting home from work then. Getting home from a boring day @ work, and coming to login, only to find it's offline.. again!

Archived Post 01-23-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
Hi Captains,

As most of you have noticed, we have been posting scheduled maintenance notices a little more frequently lately.

In other news, water is a little bit wet, night is a little bit dark, and MIchael Jackson is feeling a little under the weather.

Archived Post 01-23-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Hi Captains,

As most of you have noticed, we have been posting scheduled maintenance notices a little more frequently lately.

Why the PR spin? Why not just say daily when thats what Rehpic himself said?

Archived Post 01-23-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Hi Captains,

As most of you have noticed, we have been posting scheduled maintenance notices a little more frequently lately. While some of thse have included patches, a majority of them have been server restarts.

I wanted to take the time to reiterate a forum post that was made by Rehpic, Star Trek Online's Lead Programmer:

Again, we truly appreciate your patience and understanding -- the team is working extremely hard to resolve this.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

What ever :rolleyes: