Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Windows and General: PC, Network, and Other Technical Issues (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=401)
-   -   STO download being corrupted everytime (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=250112)

Archived Post 01-24-2012 08:27 PM

STO download being corrupted everytime

5 Attachment(s)
From what I can tell, the issue seems to be that the .hogg files are being corrupted, I've only gotten errors a few times in the log indicating that certain textures are corrupt or didn't decompress properly. I've also gotten an error saying that the header of one or more of the .hogg files is wrong. So i'm posting my error logs and my dxdiag, as attachments to this post. Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Archived Post 01-25-2012 05:37 PM

I'll provide any additional info that I can but this is a real issue. Right now I can get the game to work if I launch it in safe mode, thats the one way I've gotten it to run without crashing so far.

Archived Post 01-25-2012 06:10 PM

hogg files are large and can be corrupted by many things.
if you are have repeated hogg files you will need to look at a number of areas .

1. Some antivirus programs will corrupt the files on download like panda2011 and some have reported the problem with microsoft security esstentials.
2. Weak wireless connection
3. weak CPU
4. bad or failing memory
5. bad or failing hard drive
6. weak or failing power supply (will also affect cpu and hard drives)
7. if using vista or win7 installing the game in the programs file folder will cause problems(not in your case since you are using xp)
8. failing modem or network card.

antivirus program will lock files while scanning and can sometimes not release them. fix is to exlude the game directory from scans.

Archived Post 01-26-2012 09:33 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. As much as I'd like to say its not my hardware, this PC is about four to five years old. I've ran a chkdsk on the harddrive three times with no bad sectors found. I've also ran memtest86+ a few times with no errors indicated in my RAM.

These are the things I've been able to isolate so far.

Star Trek Online dosen't crash if I run it in safe mode from the launcher.
It does crash if the graphics are any setting even the lowest.
I downloaded City of Heroes today and installed it. After a successful install, I ran the game and it froze and crashed very similarly to STO, this was during the character creation screen.
I've also had the PC freeze like it does in STO but in Windows XP on the desktop. However I did have the STO launcher running in the background at the same time redownloading STO for the billionth time.

So anything else I can try?

Archived Post 01-27-2012 07:32 AM

I see you are using a geforce 450 and you say your pc 4 years old. it is possible the power supply can not support the card (if this card was a recent addition) . what model and rating is your power supply . you may have to look inside to find it on the power supply.

since you are having problem with city of heroes which has normally tax the pc as much as STO does.

Archived Post 01-27-2012 12:14 PM

My power supply is an antec 850w truepower quattro