Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Auction House ~ Scams (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=250414)

Archived Post 01-26-2012 01:45 PM

Auction House ~ Scams

There seems to be a little AH scam going on right now...

Example:

Someone places 2 x Very Rare MK X Quantum Chamber on the AH for say 500,000 EC

Then places 2 at 100,000 EC

When you go to sell yours, you probably place it at 95,000 EC to be cheaper. It's then snapped up and placed back on the AH for 500,000 EC by the person that's manipulating the sales.

Yes it's my choice what I sell something on the AH at, but if you let us know who the sellers of the items are before we buy them, it would be an easy way to spot these scams.

If I saw the same person selling 2 chamber at 500,000 EC and the same person selling 2 at 100,000. I would know that person is trying to use this scam to get cheap items.

I really hope you read this post and give the idea some thought, many, many mmo, let us know who the sellers are of itesm before we purchase them. You send us email telling us who brought our goods please let us now who we are buying from before we buy.

This would also help with fleet management too. It would let people see if someone if taking 'expensive' items from the fleet vaults and placing them on the AH rather than using them.

Regards

Archived Post 01-26-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTrekkingAngel
There seems to be a little AH scam going on right now...

Example:

Someone places 2 x Very Rare MK X Quantum Chamber on the AH for say 500,000 EC

Then places 2 at 100,000 EC

When you go to sell yours, you probably place it at 95,000 EC to be cheaper. It's then snapped up and placed back on the AH for 500,000 EC by the person that's manipulating the sales.

I've noticed the exact same thing with DOFFs being posted on the Exchange... (but instead of being re-posted, their 'dismissed' for the Dilithium...) So if the lowest group of Doffs are below the exceptable range, if its a small group I'll ignore them (as they will soon be purchased by the marke) and post at my normal price... If its a large group posted below market value, I'll just put off posting Doffs for another day when the market looks better...

Knowing who is posting the 'items' isn't going to help, as you can easily have multiple users working together to accomplish the same thing... You should only post items on the Exchange at a 'price' that's your happy with... And if someone buys you out, you should be glad for the quick slot turn-around, and post something else to continue your profit stream...

Archived Post 01-27-2012 07:34 PM

I don't really understand your issue.

First off how do you know it's the same guy who has posted 2 at 500k and then 2 at 100k? Even as a buyer you don't know who listed the item you buy, only the seller knows the name of the person who bought it. So how are you sure someone's trying to manipulate the prices by putting up "bait" items? Even if you purchased all items involved as "evidence" you do not get any indication that all the items were listed by the same person.

Second, if 500k is the "market value" of the item, then you're setting yourself up by listing the same item at 95k. If you see things like this why don't you buy the 2 100k items, and relist them at 500k yourself... easy profit of up to 800k right there, plus you screw over the "scammer" if indeed it is the same guy listing all the items (which again you have no way of knowing). This doesn't seem like a smart setup by the proposed "scammer" who lists 2 items at market price and then 2 at well below. The first person to see that will snap them up and the scammer is out 2 valuable items.

If you are having trouble with people "stealing" from your fleet vaults, then you need to perhaps review the withdraw/deposit permissions on your fleet bank slots.

I'm not saying there is no exploitation on the exchange, but I really fail to see where this is a viable scam (nor do I see your proof that it's actually occurring), and I see where it's entirely avoidable on your behalf by simply exercising a little judgement when choosing what prices to post items at. I've made countless millions of EC off the exchange by buying up absurdly low priced items and re-selling them at higher prices. When you search for an item and get a bunch of hits at 750k but then see the first one listed at 25k, wouldn't you pick it up right away?

I'm with Grouchy here. Knowing who is posting items on the exchange is not going to help these situations in any way. At the end of the day, it's still your mistake to either list your item at well below appropriate price, or massively overpay for an item on the exchange.

Archived Post 02-03-2012 07:42 AM

Haha, I love that the OP hasn't shown his face since his argument was obliterated.

Even if it were the same person buying up the items and reselling them, who cares? It's not a scam; It's Capitalism.

Quit your crying.

Archived Post 02-03-2012 09:56 AM

That's not a scam, is called market strategy, is easy to monopolize an item, and you can earn a lot of EC. I repeat, this is a MARKET STRATEGY, happens here, and happens on the real life, and is completly legal, correct me if im wrong but that's how i see it.

Archived Post 02-03-2012 04:36 PM

Playing the auction house is as much a game as anything else. The people who want to spend the time to gauge market value and buy/sell for profit will make more money. If you don't want to spend that time, then you have to be satisfied with making less money than them.

The more you sell, the more you'll have an idea of what things are worth. The next time someone puts an item that's undervalued, you can be the one to buy it and sell it back at a higher price.

FWIW, you bet I will take advantage if I see someone accidentally sell a stack of items for the price of a single item, or if they leave out a '0' and sell something for 10 times less than what it's worth. My experience is that stuff sells pretty quickly so if I didn't do it, someone else will within 10 minutes.

Archived Post 02-03-2012 06:04 PM

This isnt a scam it people playing the exchange or "market" like anyone else would in real life. I have seen similar things on other MMO's. It's called Strategy. In other games I looked for good values and then reposted them later at higher prices to make money. I dont do this on everything. In another popular (and hated) MMO I saw items you could buy from a vendor for say 50EC, then they were posted in the auction house for 10K EC. You just have to learn how to play the market like others.

Archived Post 02-05-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trisa12
This isnt a scam it people playing the exchange or "market" like anyone else would in real life. I have seen similar things on other MMO's. It's called Strategy. In other games I looked for good values and then reposted them later at higher prices to make money. I dont do this on everything. In another popular (and hated) MMO I saw items you could buy from a vendor for say 50EC, then they were posted in the auction house for 10K EC. You just have to learn how to play the market like others.

you are correct.

there are no "Manopoly" rules on the market, (other than a max of 40 titems sold per char)

so with no "Monopaly" laws, you get big buisnesses that will sell produts really low one day, then buy all the "stock" a small buisness has on hand, that was trying to price lower,, and the big buisness then marks up it's price.

as for me personaly I tend to buy up all products on market sold for LESS than the price you can SELL THEM at a vender. automatic proffit since the "seller" was sellling it lower than a automatic will buy any quanity of it, NPC FRAKKING VENDER!!!

underbid people and expect your products to be bought QUICKLY!!! (but then, underbiders, underbid, in order to sell quick... you got what you want)

Archived Post 02-05-2012 08:39 PM

Welcome to Capitalism 101....dont cry.

Archived Post 02-05-2012 08:49 PM

I were you I would have picked up those 2 bargains ... then put them back on the exchange for a nice Profit.

Release the Ferengi inside you! :D

"Once you have there Money, never give it back"