Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Help needed with skills (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=250640)

Archived Post 01-27-2012 02:13 PM

Help needed with skills

Hello, new player here and I'm confused on some of the skills. For the science skill Starship Power Insulators, the description says it grants my ship resistance to attacks that drain my subsystems. Does that also lower the drain on weapons system from firing multiple phasers at once? If not, is there anything that lowers the drain?

Is Starship Batteries any good to take? It increases the duration of consumable batteries. It also says it improves non-consumable batteries but I haven't seen any of those. Where does one get one of them?

Starship Impulse Thrusters says it works only at impulse. Does this mean any time in 'combat' space or only when you're flying at max speed that gets disabled when you enter combat?

Any help on these would be appreciated, I haven't found a list for all the terms so I'm not sure what everything is yet.

Archived Post 01-27-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edoll (Post 3974461)
Hello, new player here and I'm confused on some of the skills. For the science skill Starship Power Insulators, the description says it grants my ship resistance to attacks that drain my subsystems. Does that also lower the drain on weapons system from firing multiple phasers at once? If not, is there anything that lowers the drain?

No.
If you are an engineer, you can use the ability called Nadion Inversion which lowers weapon power drain. Otherwise, some people feel that an EPS Console can help reduce weapon power drain (or at least help it recover faster).

Quote:

Is Starship Batteries any good to take? It increases the duration of consumable batteries. It also says it improves non-consumable batteries but I haven't seen any of those. Where does one get one of them?
Depends on if you use batteries a lot. There were some non-consumable items that were pre-order items when the game was first released, like the Red Matter Capacitor. Also there is a console that comes with the Oberth class C-store ship - Enhanced Plasma Manifold.

Quote:

Starship Impulse Thrusters says it works only at impulse. Does this mean any time in 'combat' space or only when you're flying at max speed that gets disabled when you enter combat?
I believe this affects any map in space that is NOT sector space. It increases your top speed during combat as well as at "full impulse" I believe.

Archived Post 01-27-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latinumbar
No.
If you are an engineer, you can use the ability called Nadion Inversion which lowers weapon power drain. Otherwise, some people feel that an EPS Console can help reduce weapon power drain (or at least help it recover faster).

I've tested the weapon power drain and enhanced Power Trasnfer Rate, it does help but only for a tiny amount. The tiny affect is because of the quick fire power drain and power restore from weapon firing cycles. The net result is that an EPS Console is ease your weapon power from totally bottoming out at maximum drain by 5 power regard less of much extra PTR you put in. So no more then 1 EPS Console or put a few ranks in Starship Electro-Plasma Systems to free up the slot. Any more will be wasted unless you want/need to reallocate power settings faster

Archived Post 01-27-2012 03:36 PM

@Latinumbar: Thank you for your help!

@Fuzun: Does that mean that getting Starship Electro-plasma will reduce the drain of firing multiple phasers at once?

Archived Post 01-27-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edoll (Post 3974619)
@Fuzun: Does that mean that getting Starship Electro-plasma will reduce the drain of firing multiple phasers at once?

It's helps a tiny tiny bit. Basically at worse case say 6 beams on a once normally you would bottom at -50 Weapons power (6-1 * 10). But with some enhanced Power Trasnfer Rate (i.e. a EPS Console or a new ranks in Electro-Plasma Systems), you'll bottom out at -45 instead. Like I said, it's a tiny bit of help. And it makes no difference when using huge amounts of PTR rate. Weapons take away and put back power to rapidly for power to recover.

Archived Post 01-27-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzun (Post 3974705)
It's helps a tiny tiny bit. Basically at worse case say 6 beams on a once normally you would bottom at -50 Weapons power (6-1 * 10). But with some enhanced Power Trasnfer Rate (i.e. a EPS Console or a new ranks in Electro-Plasma Systems), you'll bottom out at -45 instead. Like I said, it's a tiny bit of help. And it makes no difference when using huge amounts of PTR rate. Weapons take away and put back power to rapidly for power to recover.

Okay, thank you! I have so many points left over because I can't figure out where to put them.