Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Beam Arrays or Cannons? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=251109)

Archived Post 01-30-2012 09:49 AM

Beam Arrays or Cannons?

Currently on my Advanced Heavy Cruiser, I run with Beam Arrays. I prefer these due to my style of play (250deg firing arc & broadswording someone is so much fun :D).

Question is, can I still achieve a similar style of play whilst fitting Cannons and a reduced firing arc of 180deg? I know more dps is to be had from the cannons but will I still be hitting as much or do the misses negate swapping over?

Is it worth me just buying a cheapo set of cannons & giving it a try?

thanks in advance.

Archived Post 01-30-2012 10:35 AM

I think not. Extensively tried it yesterday and most of the time the fore or the aft cannons were silent.

Archived Post 01-30-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shimmy72
Currently on my Advanced Heavy Cruiser, I run with Beam Arrays. I prefer these due to my style of play (250deg firing arc & broadswording someone is so much fun :D).

Question is, can I still achieve a similar style of play whilst fitting Cannons and a reduced firing arc of 180deg? I know more dps is to be had from the cannons but will I still be hitting as much or do the misses negate swapping over?

thanks in advance.

if you want to do pvp a lot, cannon probably a better choice for burst dps. But if you just want to pve, beam array is fine and it is super easy to maneuver without losing any firing power. (all you have to do is cycle around the target and will never miss the boardsiding arc) On the other hands, cannon need to focus on the frontal area, it is still easy to maneuver, but just not as easy as beam array.

Archived Post 01-30-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shimmy72

thanks in advance.

Having cannons with the 180 firing arc fore and aft does make one think they should be able to broadside as well......

The question is will it broadside effectively since cannons lack that 70 degree overlap that beam arrays have?
The other question is the do Cannons offer enough damage out put verus beam arrays?
BAs tend to have a higher DPV verus a lower DPS (RA/uh mk12s BA white 220DPV/176DPS versus RA/uh mk12 Cannons white 159DPV/212DPS).

Archived Post 01-30-2012 12:49 PM

what i find so funny and annoying with cannons is when you fire them ina straight line to a target theat is moving they seem to move with the target instead of missing sometimes.

Archived Post 01-30-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
what i find so funny and annoying with cannons is when you fire them ina straight line to a target theat is moving they seem to move with the target instead of missing sometimes.

this is the case for every projectile weapon anyway. (projectile i mean here not only include torpedo, but pretty much anything that fire a solid object on a target are conside to be projectile physically :P)

Archived Post 01-30-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillson18 (Post 3979962)
this is the case for every projectile weapon anyway. (projectile i mean here not only include torpedo, but pretty much anything that fire a solid object on a target are conside to be projectile physically :P)

Cannons are not projectale weapons they are energy based like beams. Torpedos are supposed to be guided. Torpedos are fine but cannons are not.

Archived Post 01-30-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Torpedos are fine but cannons are not.

I... you know, nevermind... lol...

Archived Post 01-30-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hakaishin
I... you know, nevermind... lol...

Well tell us, am i right or wrong.

In star trek when you see cannons and disruptors being fired ther are moving in a straight line right also when a target is moving they should not turn towards the target when they are so far away from the target and the target is peforming manuvers that they should miss most of the time not follow the target like a torpedo.

Archived Post 01-30-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Well tell us, am i right or wrong.

In star trek when you see cannons and disruptors being fired ther are moving in a straight line right also when a target is moving they should not turn towards the target when they are so far away from the target and the target is peforming manuvers that they should miss most of the time not follow the target like a torpedo.

Directional movement is irrelevant in the weapon hitting you. It is a math equation, nothing more.

Because Cryptic added visual effect for the miss, it is not suddenly affected by where you are firing versus where your target is moving.

It is still nothing more than your accuracy versus your enemy's evasion with a modifier for SPEED, not TRAJECTORY.

You could be flying toward me head-on, my weapons will have an equal chance of hitting you as if you were doing a horizontal strafe run.

Your "maneuvers" also do not affect these chances. Your random turns mean nothing. Again, only a mathematical equation comparing accuracy to evasion with speed modifier.

I apologize, but this is often misconstrued. You are incorrect.