Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Purpose of launching a shuttle? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=251476)

Archived Post 02-01-2012 09:03 AM

Purpose of launching a shuttle?

This may be a stupid noob question, but I could not find the answer anywhere so here it goes:

I am new to the game and bought the TOS series pack. I got a TOS shuttle. I flew it once and it seems decently armed for a ship of this size and was kind of fun. I think it will be a hoot to play around with.

When I am in my main starship (TOS Constitution Class) there is an option to launch a shuttle. However, it says the shuttle is "unarmed" and disappears when battle starts. Obviously this is not the same shuttle I can pilot. So my question is...What is the purpose of launching a shuttle from your starship? It would not be any good in a battle. Is there something else it can do for me? Can it scan more stuff in the area when doing searches? Some other function?

What about the shuttle I CAN fly? Is there any real purpose for that in the game or is it just a fun toy?

Thanks in advance.

Archived Post 02-01-2012 09:38 AM

The shuttle pet that you can launch is just that, a pet. It follows you around, looks pretty, and that's about it.

The shuttle you can pilot is for fun, but there is also one mission (The Vault) which requires you to use a shuttle for it. There are also plans for additional shuttle missions in the future.

Archived Post 02-01-2012 10:17 AM

Oh! I did not know there were "pets" in the game.

Does that mean I can have a tribble follow me around too?

Thanks for the info!

Archived Post 02-01-2012 11:34 AM

No tribbles aren't pets. Any pet you can have can be found in the c-store. Except the horta, which you can get from this mission Mine Enemy.

Archived Post 02-01-2012 12:20 PM

There are a number of cosmetic pets for both ground and space, but Tribbles aren't currently one of them. I don't think Tribbles have been seen to move fast enough to be made pets in that fashion.

Archived Post 02-01-2012 03:27 PM

Tribbles seem to move pretty fast when fired out of the Party Popper. :)

Archived Post 02-01-2012 05:36 PM

The only combat pets that I know of are the fighters of the carrier ships, and the temporary summons you get at high level.

Also... don't queue up for PvP in a shuttle. Don't be that guy.

Archived Post 02-02-2012 12:14 AM

It would be brilliant if your Shuttle could be used as a space combat pet (similar to the Horta in Ground fights) !

Archived Post 02-02-2012 01:02 AM

to the developers : since we are in the age of gaga and most people have a warp coil that goes beyond warp 25, wouldnt it make sense to allow the pets to fly at a higher speed than warp 6 or what it is at the moment. i mean, pets do not make much sense at all in my eyes, but still i like them. problem is, once i start flying around in sector space, my pet is left on the other side of the sector block or it disappears completely. sometimes, it doesnt even follow, it just stops as it would know that it has no chance

Archived Post 02-02-2012 01:49 AM

Since I am getting such a huge EC balance from selling off unwanted rare items I'm getting an urge to see if a runabout can be used as a PvE support ship. :3