Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Missing Ship Classes! (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=252349)

Archived Post 02-04-2012 01:16 PM

Missing Ship Classes!
 
I noticed That there is No Constellation Class (Stargazer) or Ambassador Class (Enterprise-C) Starships! Why don`t They have these 2 Classes included in The Ship Category?:confused::confused:

Archived Post 02-04-2012 01:23 PM

The constellation class has been upgraded to the new Stargazer class. The Ambassador is on the list. They just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Archived Post 02-04-2012 02:36 PM

Ambassador class has been on "the list" for over a year now I think...but man, did that Odyssey spring to life fast...just took a while to make it in game. :rolleyes:

Archived Post 02-04-2012 02:38 PM

That and the fact is that some classes do go out of date (Miranda and Excelsior excluded, of course).

Archived Post 02-04-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darksol80 (Post 3992835)
Ambassador class has been on "the list" for over a year now I think...but man, did that Odyssey spring to life fast...just took a while to make it in game. :rolleyes:

As something they could tout as the biggest and baddest PWE was thinking of the C-Store sales, so it got priority. As a niche interest ship loved by a few, the Ambassador does not indicate C-Store sales nearly as much, and so it has been on the back-burner. Same goes for the Constellation, the Kumari, the New Orleans, the Soyuz, and the Niagara.

Archived Post 02-04-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darksol80 (Post 3992835)
Ambassador class has been on "the list" for over a year now I think...but man, did that Odyssey spring to life fast...just took a while to make it in game. :rolleyes:

well you have to remember that for the last year cryptic have been in a strangle hold under Atari who had basically put them in stasis so be thankful the game is still up. i am sure the ships will come but they are still recovering from having half there staff laid off.
so patients and i am sure all will come in time

Archived Post 02-04-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katic (Post 3993250)
As something they could tout as the biggest and baddest PWE was thinking of the C-Store sales, so it got priority. As a niche interest ship loved by a few, the Ambassador does not indicate C-Store sales nearly as much, and so it has been on the back-burner. Same goes for the Constellation, the Kumari, the New Orleans, the Soyuz, and the Niagara.

yeah sadly. But they all should be in there. As well as a hell of a lot more KDF ships. AKA Nausican. Orion, Gorn NPC ships.

Archived Post 02-05-2012 12:47 AM

Sometimes I think there might be some IP/timeline issues with CBS that's kept these ships out of the game. What I mean is, the majority of the fleet in this game consists of ships that you saw regularly saw in the TNG movies, DS9, and Voyager. If you remember the games Activision was putting out at the end of the 1990s, it's the same basic ship selection. We never really saw many Ambassadors after the middle of TNG, and even in the early episodes the Constellation class was considered a museum piece. It could very well be that CBS considers those ships (and possibly more obscure ones like the Niagara and Springfield) to be retired from active service and doesn't push for their inclusion in new products.

Mind you, I am just speculating out loud here. I mean STO does have the Cheyenne, after all. I suppose the real determining factors are some combination of IP-based (should we include this ship, or would it make more sense to imagine that Starfleet has a new design that does the same job in the 25th century?), artistic (is the basic design flexible enough to allow some variant classes for costume customization), and gameplay-based (could this ship, logically placed in a proper tier and specialization, do anything that couldn't be duplicated by existing ships?) I think this last issue may be the biggest stumbling block: in the end, a Constellation in STO would be a T2 sci ship at best (which they already have) and an Ambassador would be some sort of T3.5 cruiser, something that would require a bit more finangling that a regular ship.

Archived Post 02-05-2012 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malashenko89 (Post 3994166)
Sometimes I think there might be some IP/timeline issues with CBS that's kept these ships out of the game. What I mean is, the majority of the fleet in this game consists of ships that you saw regularly saw in the TNG movies, DS9, and Voyager. If you remember the games Activision was putting out at the end of the 1990s, it's the same basic ship selection. We never really saw many Ambassadors after the middle of TNG, and even in the early episodes the Constellation class was considered a museum piece. It could very well be that CBS considers those ships (and possibly more obscure ones like the Niagara and Springfield) to be retired from active service and doesn't push for their inclusion in new products.

Mind you, I am just speculating out loud here. I mean STO does have the Cheyenne, after all. I suppose the real determining factors are some combination of IP-based (should we include this ship, or would it make more sense to imagine that Starfleet has a new design that does the same job in the 25th century?), artistic (is the basic design flexible enough to allow some variant classes for costume customization), and gameplay-based (could this ship, logically placed in a proper tier and specialization, do anything that couldn't be duplicated by existing ships?) I think this last issue may be the biggest stumbling block: in the end, a Constellation in STO would be a T2 sci ship at best (which they already have) and an Ambassador would be some sort of T3.5 cruiser, something that would require a bit more finangling that a regular ship.

An interesting speculation about retiring ship classes that does however have a few minor flaws.
I certainly hope you don't mind that I mention them.

The Constitution refit is the most glaring one since the last time we saw someting resembling her was in the wreckage of "The Best of Both Worlds" yet she's in this game.

During the Dominion War we sometimes saw lists with lost and/or destroyed ships.
Ambassador class ships (name and registry) were among them.
The RL reason we never saw Ambassador class ships during the combat scenes (just like we never saw many of the other ship classes) was because there were no CGI models for them.
And even the CGI models of existing ships were sometimes questionable (see the physical model of the Nebula class and its CG counterpart, particularly the shape of the Deflector)

The Norway class was never seen during DS9 since its model was lost yet I seriously doubt anyone would just consider it absent because it was retired since it appeared to be a new design.

You do make some interesting points about the positioning of the ship classes but given the Constellation was bigger and appearentl newer then the Connie refit she could just as well be another 2.5 cruiser (parhaps with different bonus console and BO slots than the Exeter)

Archived Post 02-05-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DecadeComplete
yeah sadly. But they all should be in there. As well as a hell of a lot more KDF ships. AKA Nausican. Orion, Gorn NPC ships.

true but if you look at what staff openings they have they do still seam to be town quite a lot on there team so like i said time and patients and it will all come our way


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:42 AM.