Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Who else likes to go overboard with BOFFS? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=252538)

Archived Post 02-05-2012 08:14 AM

Who else likes to go overboard with BOFFS?

The most basic function for BOFFs is to provide space and ground abilities. From this "BOFFs=gear" point of view, you really don't need that many to play the game effectively.

However, many of us play MMOs for more than just gear/stats requirements, and I think BOFFs are a great way to add a personal touch to one's crew that adds to the game's enjoyment immensely. I have 29 BOFFs - way more than technically needed - but I think it's fun to customize a crew with a diversity of races. I think it's great to have a different set of faces every time I beam down, and to see so many of them on my bridge. I even have them spread out from ensign to commander so I don't have two dozen commanders on my ship or away teams.

Who else takes BOFFs past the "gear" level and makes them part of your personal STO story? :D

Archived Post 02-05-2012 09:35 AM

Whilst I wouldn't say I've gone overboard, I do have twice the number needed - one half are only levelled for space, the other for ground. They also have different uniform sets; the space "crew" being rather more formally dressed (Duty dress, except for my First Officer. As I'm an Admiral, I decided that he should really be the captain of the ship, and as the captain of a flagship he should be in dress uniform), and the ground lot dressed more practically for ground combat. I've also done two up as crewman/enlisted (despite the rank that they actually have - they are both commanders technically speaking), whilst the other two are officers (one being a doctor).

This is absolutely pointless, but I enjoy it.

Archived Post 02-05-2012 09:43 AM

Me too, I currently have 20 Boffs on my main and I'm planning more, eventually I'llhave at least one of every race available (though I'm waiting on career/gender choice for my Android).

I'm also really picky about their traits, I like to match them up (albeit loosely) to the personality of the Boff (purely for my own enjoyment really).

I do use a lot of them though, even if its a minute difference between the skills of each, I swap them around as needed or just on a whim.

Archived Post 02-05-2012 09:58 AM

Oh I totally did this. I really had nothing else to do at VA 50... :p

Archived Post 02-05-2012 10:05 AM

It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Archived Post 02-05-2012 10:58 AM

I'm glad other people play the MMO for reasons other than raw stats :D

Archived Post 02-05-2012 02:11 PM

I spend more time customizing my boffs than fighting.

Well probably not really but it feels like it sometimes.

And it kills me that I can't adjust the shipboard costumes of the non-Boff crew. :D

Archived Post 02-05-2012 02:36 PM

I do this also. I got shipboard boffs, away team boffs, boffs who are my department heads and exec. I have some of them tied into my story line and some not. My away teams are not full of commanders but are staggered rank wise.

I also wished I could standardized my crew with my boffs

Archived Post 02-05-2012 03:45 PM

I actually don't go too terribly overboard with BOff slots (I only just recently bought my first BOff slots ever), but I'll be damned if I don't take great care in making my BOffs into proper characters rather than gear and pets. Every single BOff on every single toon I have has, at the very least, some sort of personality built into them as I craft their appearance. I also take some care to divide my space and ground crews to some degree. All my BOffs are technically ranked to Commander, but I stagger the rank pips they wear to give the appearance otherwise.

Archived Post 02-05-2012 03:59 PM

As the link under my sig shows, I like my crew. 8') I had dept. heads long before the doff system let us have them. I really want a mode of play where we team with other players AND our boffs, my crew and your crews working toward a goal.