Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   is there a site out there (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=253157)

Archived Post 02-08-2012 06:07 AM

is there a site out there

That debunks the dross spouted on stardestroyer.net? Something I can just link to instead of having to manually call BS on everything? It'd be nice, I'm finding myself in the midst of that battle again.

Archived Post 02-08-2012 06:22 AM

Don't know.
What dross?
Did you remind them Star Destroyer shoot turbo lasers and lasers bounce off Federation shield?

Archived Post 02-08-2012 07:03 AM

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/
The sheer amount of intellectual dishonesty is mind numbing. I have a rule that the power levels of the tech can't be used since the power changes depending on each scene and the written tech manuals are random numbers made up by people with no actual concept of the science.

Archived Post 02-08-2012 07:08 AM

Seriously? Those lasers have power on the order of billions of tons of TNT, but unshielded light craft can survive a direct strike and the entire fleet of thousands of them can't destroy a planet? And they're powered by fairly mundane generators compared to Star Trek's various exotic reactions and bottled black holes.

There's some levels of BS you just have to walk away from.

Archived Post 02-08-2012 07:23 AM

Star Wars is a space opera, not a science fiction. It helps to make sense of how SOME things work, but really, the movies are about space wizards in a feudal galactic society.

You can't compare tech in a space opera to that in a science fiction... science fiction generally tries to make scientific sense with their universe, whereas space operas put the story first, and iron out the details later.

Archived Post 02-08-2012 07:30 AM

I had a similar argument with a friend of mine. He was on the starwars side and said the same arguments about power and output and all that jazz.

Navigational deflectors, a technology designed to stop cosmic radiation/debris from damaging the ship at high velocities, is tuned to simply bounce that stuff out of the way. Lasers fall into this range, being simply intensive energy light. Turbo lasers may do gigatons of impact damage, but what if they don't hit anything?

Their sensor technology is massively inferior, they couldn't distinguish a freighter from a pile of junk. The falcon couldn't detect the missing alderaan even after it had dropped out of hyperspace.

Hyperdrive does seem to be superior to warpdrive.

Even the heaviest of starships would be able to out maneuver their capital ships. Fighters are inconsequential as onboard targetting systems can track and easily destroy them.

Federation shielding is far superior. Yes turbo lasers do lots of damage and starships would be able to take multiple hits. However their shields are designed for fighting laser not phasers. I would imagine laser shielding is unable to protect the ship due to the exotic properties of PHASed Energy.

Resources, yes they have the edge on resources.

Cloaking devices aren't explained very well, just that they need to fitted to larger ships due to their energy requirements. Romulan cloaking devices simple bend energy around them. Sophisticated sensors or not, you still need to know what to look for.

My friend used similar arguments to that website and, in the end, I couldn't be arsed. I simply said... two borg cubes. One to take the initial hit and the second to have adapted and assimilated the entire bunch.

Lion.

Archived Post 02-08-2012 07:33 AM

Why does anyone care? It is two different mythologies, you can like both, neither is better than the other and trying to 'shoot down' one or the other is just stupid. Besides, Superman could just throw the Hulk through any star destroyer or starship with his pinky finger as he juggled planets with his free hand.;):eek::p:D

Archived Post 02-08-2012 08:19 AM

This old argument again! I think people argue just for the sake of argument.

Anyway, as a person who works around lasers that are powerful enough to be weapons, I’ll say this about the Star Wars weaponry power output argument; turbo laser weapons do thermal damage. That is, damage by extreme heat. The US, NATO and Israeli Militaries have been experimenting with rapid pulse laser weaponry to shoot down enemy missiles, aircraft, mortars and artillery shells. “Turbo-laser” might actually go from Sci-Fi to real life.

Anyway, in effect, you may exert a very large amount of electrical or chemical energy to get a highly concentrated beam of direct energy in the form of intense light that is transferred to the end point or target in the form of heat energy.

Now, for that heat energy to be effective it must make contact with the target. This is a no brainer! The thermal heat damage is caused by melting and/or extremely rapid heating of the material the laser is making contact with, as in, rapid expansion caused by the heating of a substance from a solid to a liquid, gas or even plasma. This rapid heating effect may cause explosions if the material is heated rapidly enough and conducive to combustion.

Anyway, in Star Trek Science Fiction, ships use this little understood shield technology that would in effect eliminate a laser weapons ability to effect or interact with the ship’s hull or solid materials. Therefore, there cannot be a transfer of the thermal energy to the ship. Therefore no damage will be suffered. It is really that simple to understand.

Now, the cool thing about Star Wars is that laser weapons seen in those movies are actually not really that farfetched. Neither is the deflector shield technology! NASA Scientists have already created plasma, ion and Magnetic shield technologies that will protect Astronauts sometime in the future from background radiation, highly charged very fast moving particles and to some extent, solar wind.

As for Star Trek, we already have a bunch of Technologies from this science fiction show. If anyone is interested, there is a contest to make the first real Tricorder for real medical use. It was in an article on MSNBC just a few weeks ago. For other technologies, just use google! It is really cool how much was inspired from the TV shows.

Archived Post 02-08-2012 08:53 AM

Oh dear ...

I think you all need to step away from the pc for a bit, grab a jacket and take a nice stroll in the fresh air. Grab a bite eat :)

You all really need to get out more ;)

Archived Post 02-08-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drkfrontiers
I think you all need to step away from the pc for a bit, grab a jacket and take a nice stroll in the fresh air. Grab a bite eat :)

You all really need to get out more ;)

There is no fresh air in my area, wind's blowing from the northeast, so the Pioneer Sugar Plant is making most of the county smell like dead skunk wrapped in sweaty sock.