Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Does any of you use scripts in combat? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=253352)

Archived Post 02-09-2012 01:05 AM

Does any of you use scripts in combat?

Thinking about how fast you have to press various combinations of buttons in PvP combat, and remembering there are things like AutoIt, I wonder: has any of you written small scripts for use in battles, which press buttons for you under certain conditions (even if it is just setting F1 to a group of defenses you might call "defense pattern alpha" or something like that)?

Anyway, what do you think about it? Would this be seen as a kind of cheating?

Archived Post 02-09-2012 02:31 AM

STO actually features highly flexible keybinding. Abilities, power settings, UI commands, chat commands and other miscellaneous things can be bound to keys, mouse buttons, the mouse wheel etc.

It is possible to bind several abilities on your tray to a single button, which will then cycle through those abilities with each consecutive press.

You can read about keybinding and commands in these threads:
Keybinds For Dummies
Basic key binds and command list
Command line help

It's in fact crucial to do this in PvP, to be able to focus your attention to the battle instead of the power tray as well as to improve your reaction time.

Using external programs to achieve things faster than humanly possible, however, constitutes cheating as far as I know.

Archived Post 02-09-2012 02:47 AM

I use a tool called "my fingers".
It came pre installed when i was born and man can i tell you did it suck at first.

However it got patched significantly in the years to follow and got good enough to perform even very intricate tasks without a hitch.
So i also got a support app called "brain" and together they allow me to press buttons on a keyboard in rapid succession in various combinations.

Its awesome. I can also pre program certain patterns of key presses by using "memory & pre-meditation".

Its awesome, i can only recommend it.

Archived Post 02-09-2012 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claydermunch (Post 4004638)
It came pre installed when i was born and man can i tell you did it suck at first.

However it got patched significantly in the years to follow and got good enough to perform even very intricate tasks without a hitch.
So i also got a support app called "brain" and together they allow me to press buttons on a keyboard in rapid succession in various combinations.

Its awesome. I can also pre program certain patterns of key presses by using "memory & pre-meditation".

Its awesome, i can only recommend it.

It's true! :D

Archived Post 02-09-2012 05:33 AM

Only keybind I use is 'Fire All Weapons' + 'Distribute Shields' bound to the space bar.

Archived Post 02-09-2012 05:36 AM

im not good with keybinds i still point and click. effiecient no, but i can hold my own against a decent pug or with my own team in a premade. I try to keep my builds simple to achieve this. Healers however dont have that luxury and would prob benefit from some sort of key binding deal.

Archived Post 02-09-2012 05:49 AM

I've many keybind sets different for each starship so complicated that sometimes I get confused...:D

Archived Post 02-09-2012 06:12 AM

[quote]
Quote:

Originally Posted by claydermunch (Post 4004638)

careful, you'll go blind. Or so I was told as a child. :p

Archived Post 02-09-2012 06:13 AM

I'm full on manual control. Course I cheat, I have a razer naga. Full number pad on the side of my mouse ftw.

If I didn't have the naga, and didn't want to break my fingers making an alternate control scheme I'd use keybinds, probably would be bound to the E, Q, V, X and Z keys too.

Archived Post 02-09-2012 06:17 AM

It is important to note that keybinds in STO do not actually fire multiple abilities at the same time; if you bind several skills together, only one will fire on each press, and you will only get all of them by pressing the key multiple times.

To have an actual 'macro' or script, you would need something that could add in delays between the individual skills. But there is no reason to run such a script, really, since timing is too situational.