Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   console balance suggestions - a constructive feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=253443)

Archived Post 02-09-2012 11:55 AM

console balance suggestions - a constructive feedback

Guys: Firstly the lead designer and most of the cryptic staff afaik do not see sto as p2w, and I have to say I agree with them. Let me say that I have a fleet colleague who has a lot of these consoles but never paid real money for them, he simply traded dilithium for c-points.

So the bashings of p2w are rather un founded, and sound more like people with pitch forks just accepting for gospel what a minority are spewing.

Why don't we try to offer balance suggestions for the consoles instead of just getting on like little children.

one possible suggestion would be to give consoles drawbacks. I.e. when equipped they come with a permanent drawback which you have to decide is worth it for the power it gives once every whatever minute.

Example, the capacitance (full impulse get out of dodge) console could come with a draw back of -10% top speed when equipped. Or some other short term effect directly related to its use. Engine power reduced to 25 for 30 seconds (after firing it) or some other such thing. Thereby equipping too many consoles would be a lot of drawbacks. (each drawback would be different of course)

Lastly I appeal to the developers to reconsider turning star trek online space combat into WOW. Space combat is often lauded as the best thing in STO and loved by many, many who might even have disliked STO altogether.

Now you are turning STO and our star ships basically into magic shooting unicorns. STO is becoming about magic powers, which were rarely seen or used in the show, and less emphasis is being placed on good ol' pew pew, lasors and shields.

It's time to take away Tactical Team, and make the redistribute shields button clickable once every 10 seconds only or something, so people can't spam the redistribute button basically becoming a manual tactical team. Combat should go back to positioning, turning to save a downed shield etc... which currently doesnt matter one bit now.

I often see noobs talk about positioning, and keeping your shields up by turning and making your strongest shield face the enemy....often see this in reviews, but little do they know with tactical team and redistribute spam this aspect of space combat is null and void.

Archived Post 02-09-2012 12:11 PM

Two points.

Your first suggestion regarding a downside to using universal consoles is interesting and constructive. I believe the Quad Cannons are the only special item with a significant downside.

Second, I'm amused to see you dismiss the value of formations as a PvP tactic in STO. Formations do matter, even if only a few use them anymore. While you may not require any tactics at all to crush a pug, formations and tactics are often aspects of PvP that decide matches between skilled PvPers.

Archived Post 02-09-2012 12:38 PM

i have no problem with giving feedback when there is enough time to give feedback before something goes live. of course most of the recent stuff thats been asked for feedback has been pushed ahead reguardless of the feedback...

Archived Post 02-09-2012 12:47 PM

Yeah, cause every ship in the game uses two copies of tac team and spams them non stop. Sci team and engy teams are garbage I suppose. Who in their right mind would use them if it puts their tac team on cd....?

Oh wait, a healer might use those abilities I suppose for the good of the team instead of just chaining tac team and being a tank (lol...tank in pvp).

Which reminds me, I fully spec'd into my threat box on my flyingfortress tank build, yet know one shoots at me in pvp. What gives? They need to shoot at me, otherwise all this tac team and rsp I keep using is a waste

Archived Post 02-09-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darksided (Post 4006051)
Two points.

Your first suggestion regarding a downside to using universal consoles is interesting and constructive. I believe the Quad Cannons are the only special item with a significant downside.

Second, I'm amused to see you dismiss the value of formations as a PvP tactic in STO. Formations do matter, even if only a few use them anymore. While you may not require any tactics at all to crush a pug, formations and tactics are often aspects of PvP that decide matches between skilled PvPers.

i am slightly confused at how I dismissed formations. If you could elaborate where I implied this for me?

Archived Post 02-09-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallout23 (Post 4006195)
Yeah, cause every ship in the game uses two copies of tac team and spams them non stop. Sci team and engy teams are garbage I suppose. Who in their right mind would use them if it puts their tac team on cd....?

Oh wait, a healer might use those abilities I suppose for the good of the team instead of just chaining tac team and being a tank (lol...tank in pvp).

Which reminds me, I fully spec'd into my threat box on my flyingfortress tank build, yet know one shoots at me in pvp. What gives? They need to shoot at me, otherwise all this tac team and rsp I keep using is a waste

Well since ur a PVP "tank" you have to do a better job of drawing the other teams fire maybe try sending a boarding party there way? ;)

Archived Post 02-09-2012 01:04 PM

[quote]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruis.In (Post 4005977)
<all this right here>

I can somewhat agree with points you make.
I say make the cap on Universal consoles a maximum of 2 at any time. period.

Quote:

It's time to take away Tactical Team, and make the redistribute shields button clickable once every 10 seconds only or something, so people can't spam the redistribute button basically becoming a manual tactical team. Combat should go back to positioning, turning to save a downed shield etc... which currently doesnt matter one bit now.

I often see noobs talk about positioning, and keeping your shields up by turning and making your strongest shield face the enemy....often see this in reviews, but little do they know with tactical team and redistribute spam this aspect of space combat is null and void.
Tactical team is over due for what ever fix or change was discussed months ago but I think nerf the manual Distribute shields options is not the way to go. They do not work the same.
TT redistributes points to the facing taking damage and is why it is so well used in combat as one can now heal the very facing that your opponent is trying to fight through.
Shield distribution (as a whole) does not do this. It iether feeds points to all facings equally or individually depending on which command you use at any given time.
Re-positioning oneself to move a damaged shield facing is all well and good when it works. Given the wide breadth of Turnrates in STO, some vessel can do this very well and others turn so slow as to not even move at all.
I vote fix tactical team, not nerf Shield Distribution.

Archived Post 02-09-2012 01:27 PM

[quote=Roach;4006277][quote] I can somewhat agree with points you make.

2? i would like to see 1 or none but i know thats never gonna happen. I think it was fine how it was, i didnt see too much p2w in matches maybe some theta here some AMS there but nothing compaired to how its gonna be startin today, 5 feds runnin AMS and FBP, and 5 kling running everything they can think of. YAY Fun!!!

Archived Post 02-09-2012 01:43 PM

coolio, just bare in mind, i believe all these special powers are bullox anyway, like casting magic spells... this is scifi star trek, not fantasy mumbo jumbo.

its like a warrior who carries a sword but instead of using the sword he just casts spells.....out of wack.

Archived Post 02-09-2012 01:56 PM

[quote=Jsimon22;4006373][quote=Roach;4006277]
Quote:

I can somewhat agree with points you make.

2? i would like to see 1 or none but i know thats never gonna happen. I think it was fine how it was, i didnt see too much p2w in matches maybe some theta here some AMS there but nothing compaired to how its gonna be startin today, 5 feds runnin AMS and FBP, and 5 kling running everything they can think of. YAY Fun!!!
If its restricted to one that will disallow many vessels whom had thier special made into consoles. 2 seemed fair and not over the top.