Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Galactic News Network (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   New Boosts Now Available + Season 5 Dev Diary #21 (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=253543)

Archived Post 02-09-2012 03:33 PM

New Boosts Now Available + Season 5 Dev Diary #21

New XP and Commendation XP Boosts are now available in the C-Store. Also, Stephen talks about today's C-Store releases and Console changes in Dev Diary #21 of the Season 5 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the news article.

Archived Post 02-09-2012 03:44 PM

Neat. Nothing that overcomes the horrible taste of lockbox fleecing, however.

Archived Post 02-09-2012 03:45 PM

But the currently-existing time-based XP boost items will remain as they are and not be converted, right?

Nearly all of my VAs have a bound 8-hour 20% XP booster in their bank. (Received as a result of the 1-year anniversary event, IIRC.) Since they're bound, I can't sell them, and I might as well keep them for that still-in-the-indeterminate-future time when the level cap gets raised.

Archived Post 02-09-2012 03:48 PM

Lots of great stuff in the report. Cant wait to shift a few consoles around to mix it up a bit :p

Archived Post 02-09-2012 03:57 PM

How does the gain on these new boosts compare to the old boosts for various activities? Such as questing as fast as possible, Going to town on Borg DSEs, etc?

EDIT: Also, the console thing. Cool. Too bad for the Federation that the KDF has overall better, more useful (and more always useful) consoles. The KDF just got an uptick in combat advantage. Hopefully more cross faction consoles will be released in a non luck based form.

Archived Post 02-09-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstocbr
Lots of great stuff in the report. Cant wait to shift a few consoles around to mix it up a bit :p

I'll have your Ausmonauts membership card for supporting that garbage. Or are you a Klingon sympathiser? :p

Archived Post 02-09-2012 04:06 PM

Hey, Brandon,

Thanks for that info! We'll be sure to peruse it, dissect it, and nom on it!

Now... is the X@Y has unpackaged a Galor-class Cardassian cruiser! working as intended, or is it a bug?

Cheers!

P.S. Still giggling!

Archived Post 02-09-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gym_Quirk
But the currently-existing time-based XP boost items will remain as they are and not be converted, right?

Nearly all of my VAs have a bound 8-hour 20% XP booster in their bank. (Received as a result of the 1-year anniversary event, IIRC.) Since they're bound, I can't sell them, and I might as well keep them for that still-in-the-indeterminate-future time when the level cap gets raised.

From the article:

Quote:

These changes do not affect any Skill Point boost items that characters acquired before the change. Those items will continue to work using the time period specified on them. The older boosts for Skill Points also provided a boost to Officer Skill Points that the newer boosts do not.
So I'm going to say 'no' unless I'm reading this wrong.

Archived Post 02-09-2012 04:23 PM

New way of working the boost is good stuff.

Backhand comment implying that some previously stated issues with the direction of the game's design is simply being resistant to change and have nothing to do with merit assessments of said changes is bad stuff.

Archived Post 02-09-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

The goal with reworking the boosts was to make the use of boosts a lot less stressful, and more of a guarantee for those that use them.
Perhaps this is crass, but what exactly is stressful about using a boost? You launch it, you use it till it wears off, then you move on. If you use a boost then spend 3/4 of the time playing in your bank, that's poor planning on your part.

If these boosts just give you a set amount of bonus points, why not just award the points on receipt and skip the illusion that they are being used over time.

My cynical $0.02.