Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   PvP-exclusive gear set (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=253976)

Archived Post 02-10-2012 08:20 PM

PvP-exclusive gear set

What: Gear like the Borg, MACO, KHG, etc sets that are obtained exclusively via PvP. This set(s?) should be superior or equal to the currently available STF gear.

Why: A multitude of reasons:
  1. Cryptic has continually and consistently said that PWE is comitted to PvP and wants to make it better. A gear set is an excellent way to do entice more people to PvP.
  2. PvP is an excellent way to improve the overall skill level of players and will help the community become more knowledgeable of gameplay mechanics and tactics.
  3. Despite the protest from the community, Cryptic seems intent on bringing out more P2W ships and consoles. There's no better place to utilize these than PvP. By getting more people to PvP via gear sets, you'd be giving people more a reason to use the C-Store ships and equipment.
  4. PvP has been ignored for far too long. At this point, a few maps and a new game type isn't enough.
  5. STFs aren't challenging at all*. PvP is far more challenging, giving you a true sense of 'earning' the gear instead of just mashing spacebar.
  6. With MACO/KHG/Omega, you're grinding the same 3 STFs over and over again. The same 3 that we've had forever now. PvP is a constantly changing environment; there are no two identical matches. By having PvP gear sets, you eliminate the grind and sheer boredom that you get from doing the same thing over and over again. PvP experiences are always fresh.
  7. It's unfair for those of us that exclusively PvP to have to grind PvE to remain competitive since these sets are so much better than the 'standard' stuff.

How: This part is a bit more challenging. How should you earn these sets? Wins? Losses? Score? DPS? Heals? Number of matches played? There are advantages and disadvantages to each of those possibilities. Personally, I'd suggest having to complete X number of matches with more kills (and assists) than deaths.

When: Preferably, ASAP. Though Cryptic has said that PvP will finally be getting some attention (I'll believe it when I see it) during Season 6, so more gear would be an awesome addition for that Season.

What about it be like?: Nothing insane, obviously, as balance as key. Maybe more procs and such that are catered towards PvP. Lowering Shield Damage Resistance, Defense, etc etc.

*STFs aren't challenging. Seriously. On Elite, all you have to do is have the slightest bit of coordination. "Hey guys, I'm about to drop the Tac Cubes shields. Get ready to give it your all in 5 seconds." "Hey guys, let's all blow the Generators at the same time so we don't have to worry about Nanite Shields." Or, my favorite, just sit 9.5KM away from the Gateways, set weapons to autofire, and go AFK. People from the OPvP channel did STFs in T2 ships. We blaze through Elite STFs with our PvP set ups (a lot of us don't even use torps) in < 10 minutes.

Archived Post 02-10-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvs5191 (Post 4011438)
What: Gear like the Borg, MACO, KHG, etc sets that are obtained exclusively via PvP. This set(s?) should be superior to the currently available gear.

so you want an win Button only gear for pvp. so much for balance

Archived Post 02-10-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCO
so you want an i win only gear for pvp. so much for balance

Why would it have to be an iWin?

Cryptic's own statements show that the reason MACO and such are so much better than normal stuff is because of the difficulty involved in getting them. As PvP is harder than STFs, these gear sets should be better.

I'm talking about things that have procs to lower Shield Damage Resistance, Defense, etc etc.

Far from anything 'iWin' though.

Archived Post 02-10-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvs5191 (Post 4011462)
Why would it have to be an iWin?

Cryptic's own statements show that the reason MACO and such are so much better than normal stuff is because of the difficulty involved in getting them. As PvP is harder than STFs, these gear sets should be better.

I'm talking about things that have procs to lower Shield Damage Resistance, Defense, etc etc.

Far from anything 'iWin' though.

you want gear to only able to get via pvp to be better then anything else. How do you expect people to take part when they first start out?

Know had you said gear equal to STF I say go for but not this I win stuff you want.

Archived Post 02-10-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCO
you want gear to only able to get via pvp to be better then anything else. How do you expect people to take part when they first start out?

Know had you said gear equal to STF I say go for but not this I win stuff you want.

It wouldn't provide a massive advantage over people using other gear. Like now, if you're just casually pugging or whatever, you'll do fine with Borg or Aegis. But when you step up to premades and pugmades, having 3 piece Borg + MACO really helps out.

But, you're right - maybe it does make sense to have it on an equivalent level to STF gear. I thought it would go along with Cryptic's state philosophy to make it better, but I suppose there are complications with that. I've editted the OP. People in STFs with Aegis/standard gear aren't directly competing against those with fully Mk XII'd people like they would in PvP :o

Archived Post 02-11-2012 04:26 PM

Gonna go ahead and bump this so we can get more opinions on it.

Archived Post 02-11-2012 04:29 PM

Ahem...

Bumping is a no no *smacks MVS* :p

That said, I'm actually in total agreement that PvP needs a set. If Season 6 is the pvp love season, a set just seems logical (maybe throw in some visuals ;)). It'd get me into PvP a lot more...even though I'm a total newb at it now a days and go boom a lot :(

Archived Post 02-11-2012 04:30 PM

Answer: NO

Look at what PvP gear did to TOR. And the gear now in STO is plenty sufficient for PvP, all Cryptic has to do is make a PvP value and a PvE value so things are easier to balance.

Archived Post 02-11-2012 04:32 PM

3 sets would be nice. All for both factions. Sets for Tanking: Sheild. Hull, Both.
Sets for Firepower: Beam/Cannon. Torpedo. Mine.
Sets for abilities boosts.

lets see it happen.

Archived Post 02-11-2012 04:38 PM

I'm for it. The only way to minimize the impact of these sets is to have so many of them that there is no one 'must have' build for everything. So the more sets the merrier. :p

I suppose acquiring it could borrow from existing methods a bit; say, each PvP map has a particular piece of gear attached to it. Maybe X number of kills on that map to get the gear; with deaths on that map counting against you (e.g. if it's 100 kills, but you've died 20 times, then you need 120 kills total).

I'd say there has to be more than one set (even more than one set per faction), simply because certain builds and ship types benefit more from certain types of shields. At the very least there should be one space set for each basic shield type.