Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   What do we know about The 2800 so far? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=254544)

Archived Post 02-12-2012 09:51 PM

What do we know about The 2800 so far?

So, what do we know so far about the upcoming episodes? I thought i'd create a thread to assemble the knowledge we have, and speculate on what we don't.

Premise:

We know from the first episode ("Second Wave") that delegates from Starfleet, Cardassia, Defera and Qo'noS have gathered to discuss the threat posed by the Borg. Once they are united, a whole mess of Dominion ships come screaming out of the wormhole. While we evacuate, ships move to protect Bajor.

Speculation:

At Bajor, I saw Federation and Klingon vessels, but no Cardassians? Did anyone else see them?

We know that they Enterprise-F supposedly has something to do with the FE. My guess is that it leads the charge to drive the Dominion back into the Gamma Quadrant.

Why is the Dominion coming back after all this time? We can assume that the Dominion force is the fleet that vanished during Operation Return. What does this have to do with the Jem'Hadar fighters that were turning up abandoned during the Winter Package fiasco?

Despite having few resources, the Deferi were inexplicably present at the conference. Defera has been under attack by the Breen since the last FE. What does this mean for the Breen? Will they try to ally themselves with the Dominion again, with the Federation, Cardassians, Klingon and Romulans opposed?

This is perhaps the most exciting thing to happen in STO since the apparently aborted attempt at making the Borg a real threat. If the devs wanted to, they could make two whole FEs out of this, or even open up an entirely new front for level progression

Rewards:

Its almost certain that we're getting a Jem'Hadar Boff, as evidenced by the dropping of consumable Ketracel White that has different effects when consumed by Jem'Hadar. This will probably be restricted to the first run, like the Breen and Reman Boffs.

We also seem to be getting a Jem'Hadar lolground set, including a personal cloak. The info on the rifle mission reward for Second Wave indicates that it is part of a 3-part set. This set will probably stay after the first run, like the Breen set or the Reman shields. There aren't any ground sets available outside of grinding STFs, so this is nice to see, even though lolground is largely irrelevant to the game as a whole.

I would love to see a Master Key as either a reward or very rare drop, but I doubt those petaQ at PWE would let that happen. Maybe a Gold Box, instead, during the first run.

All in all, I'm more excited about STO than i've ever been, especially now that the Year of (development) Hell is over.

Archived Post 02-13-2012 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick_Riker
At Bajor, I saw Federation and Klingon vessels, but no Cardassians? Did anyone else see them?

That was the actual Bajor social map, not a mission map, so there'd only be players there.

Quote:

We know that they Enterprise-F supposedly has something to do with the FE. My guess is that it leads the charge to drive the Dominion back into the Gamma Quadrant.
A fair assumption - the trailer shots of the Odyssey and Bortas were in a major space battle around DS9, the one in the first episode was more of a rolling retreat.

Quote:

Why is the Dominion coming back after all this time? We can assume that the Dominion force is the fleet that vanished during Operation Return. What does this have to do with the Jem'Hadar fighters that were turning up abandoned during the Winter Package fiasco?
There's actually a 10 part storyline doff mission series involving this. I don't know of anyone who's finished the chain yet, but it investigating one of those fighters.

Quote:

Despite having few resources, the Deferi were inexplicably present at the conference. Defera has been under attack by the Breen since the last FE. What does this mean for the Breen? Will they try to ally themselves with the Dominion again, with the Federation, Cardassians, Klingon and Romulans opposed?
The Deferi involvement is more simple than this: They're at the center of the Borg invasion, the only planet that they've actually made a viable effort to assimilate, and the most aggressive space attacks have beeni n there space. The technology in the Preserver Archive is critical to the war - if it's not useful to actually fight the Borg, we still don't want the Borg to have it.

Any battle plan against the Borg will involve massive ground and space forces in Deferi space, so any planning will involve them, even if its only to inform them what we're going to be doing on their planet. And that's likely all it was for, because the Deferi don't have military might to add to the operation.

Some more speculation: The Romulan's conspicuous absence from the discussion. I have three theories on this:

A. The Romulans are now persona non grata with the other factions. They've stepped over the line with their cavalier use of genocide as a diplomatic tool, and everyone else just considers them too risky to work with.
B. There's no longer anyone to actually deal with - Taris is rotting in a Federation prison, Donatra is dead, Sela is MIA, and Obisek is a terrorist. He has little military power to lend to the operation, terrorism won't work against the Borg, and despite cooperating with Starfleet and the KDF, neither faction may want to publicly acknowledge their relationship with a terrorist.
Alternate version of B: There's so many people to deal with, none of whom have full control of the RSE, that dealing with any one alienates their enemies, meaning in the end there's nobody worth dealing with.
C. They declined to participate, expecting the Iconians to protect them from any Borg threat.

I also highly doubt they'll ever get involved in another Dominion conflict, especially a short lived one, for all those same reasons.

Archived Post 02-14-2012 04:04 PM

Cardassia has a very minor millitary force. Which is currently occupied with a terrorist group.

Since Starfleet is now responsible for protecting Cardassian territory I can imagine defending Cardassia from the Dominion falls to them.

Archived Post 02-15-2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaiserhawk (Post 4022370)
Cardassia has a very minor millitary force. Which is currently occupied with a terrorist group.

Since Starfleet is now responsible for protecting Cardassian territory I can imagine defending Cardassia from the Dominion falls to them.

True, but Cardassia was also part of the conference on how to handle the Borg threat, and securing their participation was key to the optional. Which suggests that they have enough resources to at least contribute something to an effort to stop the Borg.

Also, they have enough ships to be giving away Galor-class warships every 3 minutes or so ;)

Archived Post 02-15-2012 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevach (Post 4017834)

Some more speculation: The Romulan's conspicuous absence from the discussion. I have three theories on this:

A. The Romulans are now persona non grata with the other factions. They've stepped over the line with their cavalier use of genocide as a diplomatic tool, and everyone else just considers them too risky to work with.
B. There's no longer anyone to actually deal with - Taris is rotting in a Federation prison, Donatra is dead, Sela is MIA, and Obisek is a terrorist. He has little military power to lend to the operation, terrorism won't work against the Borg, and despite cooperating with Starfleet and the KDF, neither faction may want to publicly acknowledge their relationship with a terrorist.
Alternate version of B: There's so many people to deal with, none of whom have full control of the RSE, that dealing with any one alienates their enemies, meaning in the end there's nobody worth dealing with.
C. They declined to participate, expecting the Iconians to protect them from any Borg threat.

I also highly doubt they'll ever get involved in another Dominion conflict, especially a short lived one, for all those same reasons.

Well that is a little odd.
My Theories is that the Romulans have no Fleet of significance that is not involved and needet in their internal struggles.
But I admit that goes for the Cardassians, too.
But it seems to me that this conference was a little focussed on the defense of the Deferi worlds. The Romulan forces are all prety much in the opposite corner of the Galaxie, while the Cardassians have direct access to their space, thats why the Cardassian role may be a little bigger.

Also... I dont know... that conference seemed to me a little small in general... for... you know... a conference...
I mean... the Khitomer conference seemed a little... bigger
http://www.startrekfreedom.com/wiki/...mer_Conference

Archived Post 02-15-2012 05:16 AM

This wasn't a peace conference, it was a military planning session, like the many that took place on DS9 during the war. A peace conference is a political affair, with both sides representing many interests that may not be in concert with one another, let alone with the goal of the conference. A war conference is a military affair, each side having objectives unified by the chain of command.

And the Romulans still have a substantial fleet, as we've seen. Their homeworld's destruction wiped out much of the civilian population, but their fleet was in a good position to move out of the way, so much of it still survives, and it's proven itself easily able to pose a viable threat to its neighbors.