Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   Repeating Dialog Tree (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=254947)

Archived Post 02-14-2012 05:15 PM

Repeating Dialog Tree

Is there anyway to have a dialog tree that is tied to an invisible object and have that tree be able to be interacted with several times? Let's say the dialog tree gives information a player may need to solve a puzzle and it is tied to an invisible object that is set within a computer console. I would like the player to be able to interact with this dialog tree multiple times and not just once, in case they need to revisit the tree for more information.

Is there a way to do this?

Archived Post 02-14-2012 05:34 PM

Below the Dialog box (if it's not connected to one below) there is an arrow, move that arrow to the dialog box you want, and it goes back to that dialog box.

Archived Post 02-14-2012 05:46 PM

No, I know you can do that. But say they walk away from the invisible object or close the dialog tree. I still want that invisible object to be "active" so they can bring up that dialog tree a second, third, fourth, umpteenth time if they want.

Archived Post 02-14-2012 05:58 PM

Oh... OK, you're asking the wrong person, you might want to try asking top foundry authors. I'm trying to figure that out myself.

Archived Post 02-14-2012 08:54 PM

The only real way to do it is to have multiple invisible objects and multiple copies of the dialogue that is to be displayed. Just use the copy function to make 5 or so copies of the dialogue and then make it so the following sequence occurs.

Invisible Object 1 shown -> Interact results in Dialogue 1 & Invisible Object 2 being shown -> Interact results in Dialogue 2 & Invisible Object 3 being shown, and so on.

Archived Post 02-15-2012 06:06 AM

Thanks for your reply. I thought about this method after I posted my original post and then I thought, nah, there has to be an easier way to do it. I'll just have to be sure to inform the player that the console can only be activated a handful of times.

Archived Post 02-15-2012 08:45 AM

here is an option to consider.
if you do not make the interact/converse portion part of the mission tree, you can repeat the interaction pretty much forever.

My suggest, have something say, consult this databank/source for information, but again dont make it a mission objective.

Set the npc/console dialog using the use default dialog checkmark(located at the very bottom of the contact information) write your dialog to your hearts content.

This should work as a constant interactable object from then on.

Archived Post 02-15-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by castmodean (Post 4023720)
here is an option to consider.
if you do not make the interact/converse portion part of the mission tree, you can repeat the interaction pretty much forever.

My suggest, have something say, consult this databank/source for information, but again dont make it a mission objective.

Set the npc/console dialog using the use default dialog checkmark(located at the very bottom of the contact information) write your dialog to your hearts content.

This should work as a constant interactable object from then on.

Yeah, I looked at this as well, but if I remember correctly, the objects don't have the Default Dialog option, only NPCs. I suppose I could change it so that an NPC gives out all these details of a file, but it would make more sense to have the player look at the files at a terminal.

Archived Post 02-15-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maziken
Yeah, I looked at this as well, but if I remember correctly, the objects don't have the Default Dialog option, only NPCs. I suppose I could change it so that an NPC gives out all these details of a file, but it would make more sense to have the player look at the files at a terminal.

as long as it hasnt been taken out, there is a npc contact called <faction name> terminal

Archived Post 02-15-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by castmodean (Post 4023946)
as long as it hasnt been taken out, there is a npc contact called <faction name> terminal

Errr... where do I find this NPC?