Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Galactic News Network (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   ZAM Talks STO (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=25566)

Archived Post 09-01-2009 06:34 PM

ZAM Talks STO

ZAM's Andrew Beegle got a chance to take a look at Star Trek Online at Gamescom and posted his impressions. Give it a read here.

Link to the news article.

Archived Post 09-01-2009 06:46 PM

Ship size

I hope we'll have the optiont to "zoom in" on our ship. The Ship in that screenshot looks like the size of a Dime :-/ We're supposed to be the Captain of A Starship, There supposed to be Massive!!!! So atleast give us the option to make them Appear Bigger than they really are.

Edit:

"FIRST!!!!!"

Archived Post 09-01-2009 07:03 PM

the UI there looks sweet thanks for the post.

Archived Post 09-01-2009 07:12 PM

I saw a demo of STO in LV and I can tell you can BOTH:

- Zoom in and out/rotate the camera

- Move each of those little display windows (impulse, power distribution, shild distribution, etc.)

Other customization is probably possible as well, they just didn't highlight it in the vid.

Archived Post 09-01-2009 08:02 PM

There has been a lot of good information (and impressions, for that matter) coming out of Gamescom, and I like that the game is getting the more mainstream attention that it deserves. Hopefully articles like this drive even more people to join the community!

Archived Post 09-01-2009 08:25 PM

" Micro-transactions"???? Please please please don't do this. If I'm paying a subscription fee I should be allowed access to most everything. If this exists it should be for items that were offered as promotions. And it should be rare. Very rare.

One of the reasons I like MMO's is that with a low monthly fee, your in a world where everyone is equal. (besides those who cheat and buy gold) and there is no difference between someone who has $20/mo of free spending money that he spends on the subscription, and someone who has hundreds of dollars to spend.

Micro-transactions gives those with superiority in wealth in RL superiority in customization in game. and this takes away from the equality and enjoyment of the MMO. its also not what Star Trek is about. Star Trek is about a society that has moved beyond money as a means to measure success. and Micro-transactions drags the whole game back a few centuries.

Again PLEASE MAKE THIS RARE!!!!!

Also, I like the UI so far. But could you spend a little extra time and resources giving me a bridge view for role play sake. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, I just don't want to be looking at the outside of my ship the whole time I'm in space.

Eventually with an expansion I hope to tour my own ship. this is after all what would really make the game feel "trek".

But all in all I like it, and I'm impressed. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for more news.

-Cryptic Love Meter dropped due to Micro-transactions

Archived Post 09-01-2009 08:37 PM

Eitherway I'd like to have a detailed description of the hud. Looks interessting!

Unfortunately there'll be a lack of interiors @ launch.

Archived Post 09-01-2009 08:54 PM

I want to play the game on a TV as big as the one in the pic!

NIce information in the interview, each one repeats the same info but then as slightly different bits to help piece together a picture of the how the game is shaping up.

Archived Post 09-01-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quoted from article:
bridge officer named Sasha Meera who has a photon torpedo salvo skill that increases the number of torpedoes fired as she levels up

C'mon guys...really!?!?! a skill that allows you fire more torps? Thats not a skill thing, thats an equipment thing. Its a physical limiotation, not a skill or intellectual limitation when operating the system. Thats like saying BO Lt. Uber Skillz can make his phasers travel faster in vacuum of space as his skills improve. Or Ensign Lamme Modal increases the number of fighters the carrier can hold as his skills increase.

Dont just accept any cheesy and gamey feature just because it follows typical MMO methodology.

Archived Post 09-01-2009 09:18 PM

Interface

Shots of the INTERFACE!

Gimmie gimmie

I like the minimalist feel!