Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   "The Dangers of Gamer Entitlement " (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=256617)

Archived Post 02-22-2012 05:25 AM

"The Dangers of Gamer Entitlement "

Gamespot.com posted a very interesting article, I believe people should read about the vicious verbal attack at the hands of gamers.
Warning: May contain strong language.
"The Dangers of Gamer Entitlement "
Props to StormShade for posting this on Twitter.
---
I can't help but see the relevance towards our own community here considering events that happened not so long ago.

Archived Post 02-22-2012 05:56 AM

just a sad reflection on the mindset of some people. i wonder if these people are like that in real life or if they just save their venom up for the internet when they are protected the anonymity it provides?

Archived Post 02-22-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
just a sad reflection on the mindset of some people. i wonder if these people are like that in real life or if they just save their venom up for the internet when they are protected the anonymity it provides?

I'd go with the latter

Archived Post 02-22-2012 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tricksterbro (Post 4041152)
I'd go with the latter

Yeah. I'd imagine most of those spewing this type of venom are stay-at-home basement dwellers. The rest of us with real lives have more important things to get enraged over.

Archived Post 02-22-2012 06:08 AM

Good Article

Its so true, STO is the first game I've ever played and the lack of courtesy, manners, civilized behaviour among the addicted gamers is unbeleivable, like taking crack from a crackhead. We should all admit that games, like a lot of things, are addictive, and the real effect is a simple chemical cascade in the brain, specifically, seratonin in the pre-frontal areas. Seeing this has taught me to put things in sharper perspective, I would rather spend time with my family or just go outside, anything but being a slave to the game. And we all have to remember, most of these elitist are immature kids playing and it is their life. My two sons are gamers and I have had to constantly tell them that moderation is the key, even too much oxygen or water will kill. We will see in years to come as the young gamers grow old and adult responsibilities catch up with them. They have very few social skills in real life.

Archived Post 02-22-2012 06:15 AM

Nuts...

I wrote a really long post... and then realized that it made very little sence and was actually just a wall of text... So I decided to write this instead:

Not OK...

Quote:

I can't speak for thoose people... But a rule of thumb for me is: if you can't do it in real life, don't do it on the interwebs either...

I am just as much a provokative a***ole off the net as I am in here... But at least I am the same guy anywhere I go.

But in the end, I am pretty sure they are just some poor loosers living in their moms basement who need a way to channel their lack of personal self respect.

Archived Post 02-22-2012 06:19 AM

Quote:

It's real life. They just can't express it there without getting the crap kicked out of them.

Archived Post 02-22-2012 07:28 AM

I might have a somewhat different perspective on this article, especially if you read the replies to after the article. I think the authorís premise is flawed; this isnít only a gaming issue. This happens any time a customer feels alienated by the product or service they are purchasing. Look at Netflix. Or BoA. Or the airlines charging baggage fees. You could insert hundreds of other examples of this same thing occurring in other industries over the past year alone.

No, this behaviour is true for any consumer market, not just games. The writer may just be ignorant of this because she is a gaming magazine journalist. Anyone who has worked in a customer support role knows what Iím talking about. Iím pretty sure the author had a predetermined conclusion which is why her conclusion, gamer entitlement, is completely misleading and quite frankly wrong.

The truth is this article doesnít speak to anything we see here on the STO forums. The fighting that is going on here is of a completely different type. Prior to the late 2011 F2P ruckus I never saw any massive hate for this game. To say that this sudden surge in anger puts the STO fans in a special group labelled as ďdangerous due to entitlementĒ is a grave mistake, both for Cryptic and the gaming community.

Sorry, but this article is just unproductive. The event is unfortunate for Mrs. Helper, I definitely agree with that. But this is a classic example of a journalist not doing her homework and predetermining the conclusion before it was written. There are no experts in this article, no out-side the industry analysts, no data, just an article about Bioware, twitter feeds, and some fan-made comments. Donít blindly follow the authorís conclusion before doing your own research.

Archived Post 02-22-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobayashi Maru
Sorry, but this article is just unproductive.

^^^ THIS.

There are already rules in place to deal with the extreme violations of posting regarding the name-calling that Bioware employees have to endure on Reddit and Twitter. But this article tries to take that and lump it in with valid criticism, valid negative feedback, and essentially suggest that the company has every right to ignore and antagonize their customers.

They absolutely do. But that is unproductive for the company and the customers.

Bad customer service will bite you in the butt in the end. Customers have entitlement for a reason. They paid for goods and services. If they feel they received bad service, they react.

If that reaction involves curse words and threats, there's already rules in place to deal with and filter that out. But that doesn't change the rest of the feedback.

In short, yes people feel entitled to the products they purchase.

Archived Post 02-22-2012 09:56 AM

If you want to see that type of gamer first hand, then go right over to SWTOR...the PvP community there is comprised of nothing but "gimme gimme" everything elietists and Internet bullies...you should have seen my TOR exit survey...they couldnt pay me to play that game now...

I got so irritated with it, I posted a thread on the PvP forums and someone replied that when I hit the "submit" button for my post, I definetly was awarded dark side points...ROFL...

So glad to be back here in STO where players treat others nicely for the most part...

Anyone ever see the end of Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back movie where they hunt down the screen name ppl talking smack on their website...heh heh...:)