Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Galactic News Network (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   MMOZine Previews STO (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=25662)

Archived Post 09-03-2009 10:34 AM

MMOZine Previews STO

The folks at MMOZine have previewed Star Trek Online in their latest issue. Download the PDF here.

Link to the news article.

Archived Post 09-03-2009 10:45 AM

Great! Can't wait to see a pink Akira or a Red and black Sovereign. That's sooo trek. It should make the game much more cohesive and fun... oh and there are special nonstandard uniforms for sale!! Oh wow so we're not getting penny *****? Amazing

FAIL!!!

Archived Post 09-03-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swc
Great! Can't wait to see a pink Akira or a Red and black Sovereign. That's sooo trek. It should make the game much more cohesive and fun... oh and there are special nonstandard uniforms for sale!! Oh wow so we're not getting penny *****? Amazing

FAIL!!!

Thank you!! Finally someone who is tired of Cryptic's ********! Rekhan, nothing personal, but you guys are just making things worse. Fix it.

Archived Post 09-03-2009 10:56 AM

only a 65% hmm. well at least its only half done. that means we can almost double our percentage........though then thats 130% @_@

in comparison, TOR is closer to being done and it got an 85% @_@

also to the guys above me:

chill out. have you played the game? oh thats right. no.

Archived Post 09-03-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swc

FAIL!!!

Wow. Seriously?

Hmm, here's an idea: DON'T BUY THE CUSTOMIZATIONS!!! Good grief! One would think this could be filed under "Common Sense", but I guess not, considering the reactions here.

If it's true that Cryptic is going to offer special customizations to uniforms and ships through micro-transactions, one can assume they would be EXTRAS that aren't required in order to play the game, but just special add-ons that can give some additional individuality to your character and ship. MAYBE they'll have some special buffs; who knows? Otherwise, they're cosmetic, and don't need to be purchased in order to enjoy the game.

So, yeah. No penny-raping.

Sheesh.

Archived Post 09-03-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knightofhyrule730 (Post 739498)
only a 65% hmm. well at least its only half done. that means we can almost double our percentage........though then thats 130% @_@

in comparison, TOR is closer to being done and it got an 85% @_@

also to the guys above me:

chill out. have you played the game? oh thats right. no.

That's not the point and I can state my opinion whenever I please. Face it, whatever they're doing for this game is taking a long time and it's not looking good. My opinion is valid and relevant. So why don't you chill out and stop policing the forums.

Are you a Dev? Oh that's right, no.

Archived Post 09-03-2009 11:14 AM

I agree Shatterhand. Also, as cryptic has said that most of the purchaseable items in the cryptic store are obtainable by other means ingame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NyQuil (Post 739542)
That's not the point and I can state my opinion whenever I please. Face it, whatever they're doing for this game is taking a long time and it's not looking good. My opinion is valid and relevant. So why don't you chill out and stop policing the forums.

policing the forum? haha. no. i could though if i wanted to. but i wont.

edit: rant removed.

Archived Post 09-03-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NyQuil (Post 739542)

Both of you need to just need to set back an see what happens. I for one do not wont my ship to look just like every other ship of its class. that would get old. An s they have told us before it is not a star trek sim.

Archived Post 09-03-2009 11:20 AM

Not very positive, but not very reliable either.

I would be more concerned by the negativity of this latest preview if the tone were more professional, and if the author had demonstrated deeper understanding of the game's mechanics.

Instead the author chose to bash forum-griping with a forum-gripe-like-comment of his own, and then passed the whole game off with an offhand, shallowly substantiated comparison to "Pirates of the Burning Sea".
Not to mention that it seems contradictory to dwell on how microtransactions will affect the ascetic (not aesthetic) world of Trek, in an article that is summed up by a comparison to EvE Online which is, with it's ultra-commercial universe, the virtual antithesis of the meritocratic Star Trek IP.

Idunno, I'm pretty excited about this game, which should, in my opinion, have at least some sort of economy, be it using up your replicator rations (Voyager lolz) or requisition credits, or helping out other captains for their spare parts, or whatever. (It's the Great Material Continuum, yo!) I'm also glad that It's getting away from the purely D-20 style of combat and favoring something more tactical. If you want STO to be like WoW, go play WoW instead!

Archived Post 09-03-2009 11:20 AM

"First Impression - 65%"?

WTF?