Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   an idea for the next grab bag (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=256678)

Archived Post 02-22-2012 11:12 AM

an idea for the next grab bag
 
With all the hatred and vitriol surrounding the cardassian lockbox i have a few suggestions for next time.
1) sell a reusable key for 5,000 cpoints that is specific to that lockbox. The key would have a 20 hour cooldown. What this does is it gives people a choice, pay 3 times the cost of a normal ship upfront and be assured to get it, or roll the dice with the master keys.

2) reduce the drop rate of the boxes (cut the drop rate in half). This will encourage people to buy more keys since the boxes are more rare it gives the illusion that the drop rates should be higher.

3) make the ship (or whatever super rare item) be bind on pickup. This would serve to counter a group of players from pooling resources to stockpile boxes and have the 1 person with a reusable key open all of them.

4) dont tell us who got something from the box. It leads to harassment from players who are protesting the grab bags. If you must advertise how many ships have been claimed do so in the chatbox and dont name anyone. "The 10,348th galor has been claimed! Try your luck" would be acceptable.

Just my 2ec

Edit: formatting

Archived Post 02-22-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

1) sell a reusable key for 5,000 cpoints that is specific to that lockbox. The key would have a 20 hour cooldown. What this does is it gives people a choice, pay 3 times the cost of a normal ship upfront and be assured to get it, or roll the dice with the master keys.
i'm not sure I follow..... how does that ensure that a person gets the ship?

Quote:

2) reduce the drop rate of the boxes (cut the drop rate in half).
unfortunately that won't happen cause it cuts into their profits

Quote:

3) make the ship (or whatever super rare item) be bind on pickup. This would serve to counter a group of players from pooling resources to stockpile boxes and have the 1 person with a reusable key open all of them.
good idea

Quote:

4) dont tell us who got something from the box. It leads to harassment from players who are protesting the grab bags.
correct. it does. as well as theft of accounts and hacking. theres no reason to do it, and sooner or later its going to get them in trouble.

Quote:

"The 10,348th galor has been claimed! Try your luck" would be acceptable.
that would be better

Archived Post 02-23-2012 05:59 AM

It would ensure that you get the ship by allowing you to stockpile the lockboxes and opening them every day until you get the ship. Basically, i buy the reusable key and drop a bunch of energy credits on boxes to open at my leisure. While there technically is still a chance of failure, its realistically nonexistent.

Archived Post 02-23-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frontline2042
It would ensure that you get the ship by allowing you to stockpile the lockboxes and opening them every day until you get the ship. Basically, i buy the reusable key and drop a bunch of energy credits on boxes to open at my leisure. While there technically is still a chance of failure, its realistically nonexistent.

Why would you need to buy boxes even if you cut the drop rate in half you still get a lot.

Archived Post 02-23-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartzilla2007 (Post 4043963)
Why would you need to buy boxes even if you cut the drop rate in half you still get a lot.

People are still buying boxes now even with them dropping like rain in a hurricane. I'm also operating under the assumption that the boxes wont be available forever, so the more boxes you get the more of a return o investment ypu get from the reusable key

Archived Post 02-23-2012 11:30 AM

Couldn we just simply get rid of the boxes all together...

While your ideas a ok... (i geuss)... The resistance against this kind of "lottery" is simply never gonna go away... Especially not when the reasons for making them (and the ship you get) in the way, is a obvious lie.

Archived Post 02-23-2012 01:57 PM

Or just abandon grab-bags altogether, that would be nice. Asking players to invest additional money into a game with meaningful content releases might just be a better bet in the long run than integrity-eroding manipulative scams, anyway (particularly ones that actively irritate everyone whether they participate or not).

Archived Post 02-23-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimtomisbehave
Or just abandon grab-bags altogether, that would be nice. Asking players to invest additional money into a game with meaningful content releases might just be a better bet in the long run than integrity-eroding manipulative scams, anyway (particularly ones that actively irritate everyone whether they participate or not).

I like this idea. They should go with this.

Archived Post 02-24-2012 07:57 AM

Another idea: make key-tiers. What I mean is, sell keys for C100, C200, C500 etc. with increased chance. Say, C100 key has 0.001 chance, C200 0.005 chance, C500 0.01 chance etc.

Obviously, these are not optimized numbers, just came up with them for the sake of the example.

Common key, quality key, superior key, skeleton key etc.

Archived Post 02-24-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anazonda (Post 4044176)
Couldn we just simply get rid of the boxes all together...

While your ideas a ok... (i geuss)... The resistance against this kind of "lottery" is simply never gonna go away... Especially not when the reasons for making them (and the ship you get) in the way, is a obvious lie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimtomisbehave
Or just abandon grab-bags altogether, that would be nice. Asking players to invest additional money into a game with meaningful content releases might just be a better bet in the long run than integrity-eroding manipulative scams, anyway (particularly ones that actively irritate everyone whether they participate or not).

I'll go with those too.
Seriously. Its not that I know SO MANY people in that game, but I know at least 4 who did quit because of the gold boxes entirely, and I know a whole buch of people who avoid the C-Store as a matter of princaple until they are gone (I'm more or less in the later corner, bought the Defaint interior with exchanged dillithium, but that was my only purchase this year so far any the people I'm refering too do not even do that).
And even if its not a "matter of princaple", its simply: the drop boxes make people feel unconfortable.
It causes a bad atmosphere, since many always have the feeling "when does the paywall come". You dont feel trust into the game, and if you dont have trust into the game, its less likley people invest.

The drop boxes might be a quick bug and successfull on a shirt view,.... but on the long view it does more damage then good even for cryptic/pw.
But Cayptic/PW has proven many times before that this kind of logic, the idea of a happier playerbase makes a better game does not come to thier mind. The often critisied way STF rewards work right now is anothr example that does not even involve the C-Store.


Quote:

Originally Posted by frontline2042
2) reduce the drop rate of the boxes (cut the drop rate in half). This will encourage people to buy more keys since the boxes are more rare it gives the illusion that the drop rates should be higher.

Yeah, trying to fool the playerbase even more. Great.

Quote:

3) make the ship (or whatever super rare item) be bind on pickup. This would serve to counter a group of players from pooling resources to stockpile boxes and have the 1 person with a reusable key open all of them.
Well they WANT the stuff to be tradable for obvious reasons.... And I dont see where it would help to change that.
After basicly charging up to (or even over) 300 $ for a per charatcer perk it would be even more awfull if you wouldnt have the choice on wich character it ends up.

Quote:

4) dont tell us who got something from the box. It leads to harassment from players who are protesting the grab bags. If you must advertise how many ships have been claimed do so in the chatbox and dont name anyone. "The 10,348th galor has been claimed! Try your luck" would be acceptable.
Harassment? Who ever does that to the lock box winners: I'm proud of you.

Seriously, where is that accaptable? Where?
The issue is that we get a permanent spam about an issue some of us want to ignore entirely to keep the ilusion of this beeing a good game. YOur suggestet change does not help there.
It, btw, will just make people to believe even less in cryptic because they might assume its just a made of number.

Drop that gambling at all. That is the only acceptable solution.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:54 PM.