Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Happy Birthday Majel Barret-Roddenberry! (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=256796)

Archived Post 02-23-2012 07:10 AM

Happy Birthday Majel Barret-Roddenberry!

Today is the birthday of the first lady of Star Trek!

Although she is no longer with us, she will always be remembered with love.

I was born in the mid-80s, so really I was late to the Star Trek table by the time i was able to understand what it was all about. However, growing up watching The Next Generation from a young age there was always one guest character who I loved more than any of the other characters, and that was Lwaxana Troi.

Majel always without fail lit up the screen. She was beautiful, strong, witty, and most importantly warm.

When watching Majel and Marina there was never any doubt in my mind that she was Deannas mother. More than that, she played the role so convincingly that I always got the feeling when watching her she was my mother too!

Majels portrayal of Lwaxana will always be one of my favorites in Star Trek, and I will always remember and cherish her because of it.

Star Trek will never be the same without you.

Today is Majels day.

Archived Post 02-23-2012 07:17 AM

what i remember most is the time she used for her betazoid character, Lwaxana Troi. Chasing after Picard with a perverse delight and Odo a little later. preying on the strong type of men they were and finding out they are nothing more then kittens to her, always brought a smile to my face when i see Picard's head poking out and looking around when he knows Lwaxana is nearby, classic :D.

Archived Post 02-23-2012 07:23 AM

She always seemd to me like a really nice, charming person - and she did so much for Star Trek.

[ However, I found her character in TNG/DS9 to be REALLY, REALLY annoying, and I always died a little on the inside when I realized "this is going to be a Troy's mom episode". :p ]

Archived Post 02-23-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTWStephens (Post 4043524)
She always seemd to me like a really nice, charming person - and she did so much for Star Trek.

[ However, I found her character in TNG/DS9 to be REALLY, REALLY annoying, and I always died a little on the inside when I realized "this is going to be a Troy's mom episode". :p ]

What? Even "Ménage à Troi", one of the funniest TNG episodes I can think of.... who can forget Picard having to woo Lwaxana from the grasp of the highly misguided Damon Tog? :D

Archived Post 02-23-2012 08:00 AM

Computer . . .
*doooo-doo*
Happy Birthday.

Archived Post 02-23-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tumerboy (Post 4043590)
Computer . . .
*doooo-doo*
Happy Birthday.

<3 LOVE THIS <3

Archived Post 02-23-2012 08:06 AM

I would love it if Cryptic could sample as many of Majels computer phrases as possible and get them in game. Im sure it would mean a lot to the player base and Majels family.

Archived Post 02-23-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_86
I would love it if Cryptic could sample as many of Majels computer phrases as possible and get them in game. Im sure it would mean a lot to the player base and Majels family.

I'd imagine that's governed like likeness rights. We can put in Picard, or Spock or someone. . . but it can't look like the actor who played the character (and thus, not like the character) unless we pay for the right to use their likeness. I'd imagine her voice, even though it was used on the show, is very similar.

Archived Post 02-23-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tumerboy (Post 4043617)
I'd imagine that's governed like likeness rights. We can put in Picard, or Spock or someone. . . but it can't look like the actor who played the character (and thus, not like the character) unless we pay for the right to use their likeness. I'd imagine her voice, even though it was used on the show, is very similar.

But i thought likeness rights didnt apply when the person in question was deceased? Im not suggesting you do it without permission, just thought it would be nice to look into. Could you pass along the suggestion?

Thank you :)

Archived Post 02-23-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_86
But i thought likeness rights didnt apply when the person in question was deceased? Im not suggesting you do it without permission, just thought it would be nice to look into. Could you pass along the suggestion?

Thank you :)

The definition of likeness rights vary from state to state and from country to country. It's a legal battle best left alone, unless you have clear permission from whomever will fight against you (such as direct decedents or a personal estate) or the person has been deceased for a long time. For example, I think by law in California you retain personality right for 70 years after death, not sure about other states.