Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Energy Siphon (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=256867)

Archived Post 02-23-2012 01:07 PM

Energy Siphon

Is this worth using at higher levels? I used to use it alot on my T3 and T4 ships. But as im getting closer to a T5 ship I would like to know if the +9/12 extra power for anything between 30-55secs is worth the slot in PvP and PvE?

Or if Abilitys like Gravity Well would be a better investment.

Archived Post 02-23-2012 04:14 PM

I'd go with Tyken's Rift and/or Gravity Well over Energy Siphon. Both of those skills work against multiple enemies and provide more actual benefit in combat.

Archived Post 02-29-2012 06:53 AM

Tyken's Rift IMO edges out Siphon for most situations, its stronger, last longer, and hits multiple targets.

Siphons advantages are it can be fired anytime they're in range, tykens has an arc. It also cannot be avoided.

I cycle between TR3 and ES2 when fighting Tact cubes and Donatra

Archived Post 03-02-2012 12:38 PM

You're missing the other advantage of Energy Syphon... it buffs yout power.

SO if you treat it as a way to boost your energy levels rather than as an attack then it may make sense for a given build. With a lot of Flow Capacitors you can maintain that extra energy for quite some time.

Archived Post 03-02-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krenlik (Post 4063731)
You're missing the other advantage of Energy Syphon... it buffs yout power.

SO if you treat it as a way to boost your energy levels rather than as an attack then it may make sense for a given build. With a lot of Flow Capacitors you can maintain that extra energy for quite some time.

This is the thing to remember about Syphon. If you treat it as a drain on the enemy, it really is lackluster except as a cherry on top for a drain build. Treating it as a self power buff, though, will pay you much better dividends.

Archived Post 03-03-2012 03:50 PM

Depends on what the drain build is for.

Tyken is good because of its strength..but thing is, by itself its not enough to shut down an NPC ship nor bother much a player ship (unless you sub-nuke him).

My sci ship and cruiser run a hybrid type of drain build.

Sci ship runs full polarons with siphon3, siphon2 and tyken 1. That does shut down -any- ship. With high aux, siphon 3 and 2 overlap each other...the time it affects enemy ships is longer than the drain timer and the time it benefits your ship is almost as long as the timer itself...so you effectively, for 20 seconds or so, have stacked siphon power gain. Add polarons draining the target and subsystem target attacks peppering the shield or engine and its a very nasty combo. Great tank too since you run triple 100+ power bars nonstop XD

The cruiser (odyssey) uses a similar setup but to benefit its tanking ability. siphon 2 and 1 plus emg pwr to shields 3 and 2. Using polarons. Same effect as above except it doesnt shut down ships but wow it uses their power to keep itself alive very well.