Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   STO needs a Major Vilian (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=257441)

Archived Post 02-26-2012 06:26 AM

STO needs a Major Vilian

Throughout the game there are minor villains like B'Vat, and Harkeev and a couple of other who appear in a couple of episodes but we seem to be sorely lacking a major recurring villain.

Now I know a lot of the big trek villains only ever appeared in a handful of missions but they would often hang around for years. All our villains seem to be dead within a 5 episode arc that take place one after the other. You cant build up decent villians if they all get killed too soon.

Now that we have voice over and cut scenes these characters can play a more prominent role in the story, so please can we start fleshing them out and giving our captains some real challenges?

Archived Post 02-26-2012 06:28 AM

Right now, it's the Borg, isn't it? I got the feeling that Empress Donatra would play the part of the main baddie for the Borg, like the Borg Queen did in First Contact.

I think I read that the Iconians are supposed to play the big villain in the future.

Archived Post 02-26-2012 06:31 AM

Well, we may have breezed through the missions involving them, but Hakeev and B'Vat were fairly major villains. We also had James O'Brien from the mirror universe missions.

Archived Post 02-26-2012 06:38 AM

The Iconians are meant to be the major villain, but Cryptic cbf doing anything with the story in this game.

Archived Post 02-26-2012 06:43 AM

You mean the Borg, True Way, Hirogen, Dominion, Klingon, Undine, Iconian, Reman, Romulan, Mirror Universe (which were defeated but now they are back somehow)... *loses breathe*

Archived Post 02-26-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanuHull (Post 4051076)
Well, we may have breezed through the missions involving them, but Hakeev and B'Vat were fairly major villains. We also had James O'Brien from the mirror universe missions.

you are right, they may be major but they are getting killed off too quickly. thats the point. where is the growing feud between our captains and the villain? where is the desire for them to seek revenge or to raise the odds for foiling their evil plans in the first place.

its like having dukat killed off in season 2, or the female changeling in season 4, or khan in space seed. they are still major characters for what they tried to do but they need to stick around for the their characters to build up. How much better would it be to have another episode focusing on the klingons and dealing with a character we already know and hate (in a good way) than have a brand new character that we have never seen before and have emotional connection to at all.

Archived Post 02-26-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad (Post 4051093)
You mean the Borg, True Way, Hirogen, Dominion, Klingon, Undine, Iconian, Reman, Romulan... *loses breathe*

no thats not what i mean.

those races were part of the shows as well. im talking about the actual characters that provide the emotional confrontations with the captains. seska, dukat, weyoun, etc.

Archived Post 02-26-2012 06:52 AM

At first we would need some real storytelling within the missions adding much more depth. Then you can start to build up real Villains.

But I really don't see that happen with 1 year of time for FEs of 15 min length.

Archived Post 02-26-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schneemann (Post 4051109)
At first we would need some real storytelling within the missions adding much more depth. Then you can start to build up real Villains.

I honestly doubt most players even read the text while playing. They simply fast-click through the text screens to get to the combat. :)

Archived Post 02-26-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic_One (Post 4051112)
I honestly doubt most players even read the text while playing. They simply fast-click through the text screens to get to the combat. :)

That's definitely true of some people, it was very noticable during the 'Of Bajor' mission. I started that mission 10 minutes after it went live and read every single book in the library, while standing there I saw hundreds of others running into the room, talking to the NPC and then immediately running out. The same happened with a lot of the other quest givers around there. Usually I'd assume they're on their second playthrough and just quickly getting it done, but that was literally impossible for something that just went live.

It's pretty sad, but those people definitely shouldn't mean the rest can't get good stories/villains added in the future.