Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Is the trailer on the STO website misleading? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=257479)

Archived Post 02-26-2012 11:27 AM

Is the trailer on the STO website misleading?

I finally sat through the trailer on the splash page (the page that has you click to enter the site) and not a lot of what I saw there is actually in this game. What's up with that?

Archived Post 02-26-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curs0r (Post 4051455)
I finally sat through the trailer on the splash page (the page that has you click to enter the site) and not a lot of what I saw there is actually in this game. What's up with that?

It is a trailer and yes it may seem a little misleading but, a lot of trailers are like that.

Archived Post 02-26-2012 11:30 AM

You must not watch many MMO trailers. Go watch the DCUO trailer with the battle between Superman and Lex Luthor. Go watch the SWTOR "New Hope" trailer and tell me how much of that is in the game. Unlike movies, where the trailers are generally taken from scenes in the movie, MMO cinematics seldom have much to do with how things work in the game. :)

Archived Post 02-26-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic_One (Post 4051458)
You must not watch many MMO trailers. Go watch the DCUO trailer with the battle between Superman and Lex Luthor. Go watch the SWTOR "New Hope" trailer and tell me how much of that is in the game. Unlike movies, where the trailers are generally taken from scenes in the movie, MMO cinematics seldom have much to do with how things work in the game. :)

I loved the DCUO trailer, have not played the game since testing though..but that was a great trailer setting the backstory.

Archived Post 02-26-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic_One (Post 4051458)

This.

Even EVE online, which has trailers revolving around actual events likes to spice things up and portray as shorter, more combat-oriented than they really are (i.e. huge ISK heists). Sometimes they tossed into pictures of characters that you never saw in-game before Incarna.

Archived Post 02-26-2012 11:38 AM

Tor, Eve, city of heroes, wow have all done similar things.

Archived Post 02-26-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnBludd (Post 4051468)
I loved the DCUO trailer, have not played the game since testing though..but that was a great trailer setting the backstory.

Yeah, it was a sweet trailer! Both back-story parts were good. I was hoping Batman would survive the second trailer and hunt down Lex. :)

Archived Post 02-26-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic_One (Post 4051494)
Yeah, it was a sweet trailer! Both back-story parts were good. I was hoping Batman would survive the second trailer and hunt down Lex. :)

Yeah. It would make a fitting epilogue to the Brianiac meta-arc with Future Batman coming back, letting the
present know what a real "hero" Future Lex was. And them Batman and Lex resolving their "differences".

To: OP unless the trailer says actual game play footage take any trailer or cinematic with a grain of salt.

Archived Post 02-26-2012 12:24 PM

So OP is Mass Effect 3 going to look like this then? :D

*edit* forgot the :D

Archived Post 02-28-2012 12:10 AM

So, the consensus view would seem to be yes then. No I don't watch many mmo trailers. This game and swg turned out to be such a waste, I'm not looking for another really.