Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   24 hour chat ban is a bit excessive (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=257908)

Archived Post 02-28-2012 05:58 PM

24 hour chat ban is a bit excessive

Seriously, i can see maybe 5-6 hours, specially with all the griefing going on right now. I have played since beta, never had a issue till the last few days. I lead a fleet, so to have a chat ban by 2 jerks in a stf cure run, that ditched us and said enjoy the chat ban u cword, and i get banned for 24 hours, i cant chat or anything, thats excessive from people ABUSING the system. I thought it took more than 2 people, but apparently im wrong. This chat ban system needs to get fixed, i am not even going to play the game for those 24 hours, since i cant chat, i cant tell people what to do in stf's, or even answer with a yes or no, or notify the people in my fleet that im under a stupid chat ban.....then whats the point. Oh and i put a ticket in, but we all know cryptic wont get back to me in under 36 hours let alone 24.....So stupid. Like i said, flame, whatever but im just trying to post this since i never post to show how ticked off i am over this. Sad my first post is one of such bull proportions.

Archived Post 02-28-2012 06:00 PM

An easy way to avoid a chat ban is to just watch your language. If you can't do that, then that's why you get a chat ban.

Archived Post 02-28-2012 06:01 PM

Be nice if i could get a dev response to fix the chat ban so i can have my fleet meeting we were supposed to have tonight..?...wishfull thinking? The thread can get moved super fast, and its not this account. Made this one just to post on the forums, because for some reason my main account wont let me post on the forums.

Archived Post 02-28-2012 06:02 PM

I said one bad thing, yet the other person used multiple curse words at me insulting me and i got banned? Still not right. 24 hours is way to excessive as it is.

Archived Post 02-28-2012 06:22 PM

you can get it lifted by filing a GM ticket in game. BTW, it takes more than two people to get someone silenced, you must have done something to really **** them off. Unfortunately the 24 hour ban is necessary to stop gold spammers, so reducing it isn't an option, even though people abuse it so much.

edit: didn't read the OPs whole post, sry. This is why fleet forums are so useful, you'd at least be able to reach your fleetmates and tell them what happened.

Archived Post 02-28-2012 06:27 PM

Just funny because another member was part of my fleet, she didnt report me, and other person was fleet free, just as soon as i said screw you guys for abandoning us, i hope you f off you loosers...one bad word, then get a tell saying enjoy the chat ban u c word, and then banned...? I thought it took more than 2 as well but its seeming it must be a random thing?....idk just sucks. Just tired of people abusing the game system, its all been happening since f2p, anyone wants u to shut up instead of putting ignore thigns hehe ill be funny and report as spam. Have had 2 other fleeties silenced as well for no good reason.

Archived Post 02-28-2012 07:11 PM

Swearing or using Offensive Language or saying something aparrently offensive but actualy true, :D

Should not be a bannable Offence That What The Profanity Filter is for, :confused:

If you are so young or so immature that swear words or things people say offend you,
Turn on profanity Filter..

Blocking people from chatting at all should be left for EC sellers and Spammers

Archived Post 02-28-2012 08:29 PM

Thanks. I had a guy tell me off for saying he should turn on the profanity filter if he had a problem the other day.

Archived Post 02-29-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dansedan510
Thanks. I had a guy tell me off for saying he should turn on the profanity filter if he had a problem the other day.

It always sucks when you fall foul of a mechanism in place for good reasons.

I have to admit though, given we have a profanity filter, why the use of a swear word should lead to such draconian measures.

Best to avoid such language, but surely a warning suffices for a single event? And, perhaps, a reminder to those of a delicate disposition how to turn the priofanity filter on.

Archived Post 03-02-2012 07:43 PM

If this feature is set up at all correctly, users' reports of abusive chat or whatever shouldn't trigger the ban. Rather, it should flag an account for a GM to peruse the chatlog and make a decision. If in fact you got banned merely because a couple other players clicked buttons, that's pretty bad. But if they only reported you and then you got silenced when someone looked over the report, chances are there's more to this story, I would guess, that you haven't mentioned.

I mean, the alternatives are that players can silence other players just by having enough people report someone or that the devs/GMs/admins are silencing players for simply swearing, as your story goes. Neither of these is appealing, so for now I choose to believe you've done something. *shrug*